earliest departure time off the Grand?

bridgie04

Advice needed.

Just found out my sis and her family are on a 10:50 AM flight on 4/2 from Houston Bush Airport.

Apparently this is ALL they could get. They booked several months ago trying every possible combination but this is all they could get.

Is this insane? Assuming the ship got in right on time at 7 am, what is the earliest she could possibly get off the ship?

It's a good one hour drive to Houston Bush airport, correct? And building in the minimum one hour requirement, she needs to leave the ship absolutely no later than 8:45 or even 8:30 am.

I'm sure Princess groans at these situations but is there anything that can be done about asking to get off super early when the ship arrives back in Galveston? She is not the demanding type who says "the rules don't apply to us." She just got truly stuck in a bad position with the airline.

Egads. I see a nightmare scenario unfolding here.....any advice appreciated.

Regards

That's too tight!

That airport is on the far side of Houston from the ship. Saying it is one hour away doesn't really give room for Houston's famous traffic or the lack of facilities at Galveston which slow things down a bit. Even if you were the first person off the ship and everything afterwards occured like clockwork, you would barely make it. Guess what? The odds of everything being perfect are slim.

The first people off the ship occured at about 9AM on my trip. They still had to get luggage and transporation.

What type of transporation was being taken from the pier to the airport?

Cutting it way too close..

If there is any immigration problem at all, no one will be allowed to leave the ship until it is resolved.

One never knows how traffic will be going to Houston.

Airport security lines could be a problem.

Good luck..

Once you get into your mode of transportation (which who knows how long that can take thanks to Galveston's screwy system of making cars come through the area to drop off/pick up luggage), it'll take about an hour and a half on a good day to get to IAH. Any stalled car, accident, road work, etc., can easily push that up to over two hours.

In December, the earliest tags started getting off at 8:30. Figure at least 30 minutes finding your luggage and getting to a vehicle. Leave Galveston at 9, that puts you at the airport by 10:30 if you're lucky. Then there's check-in, and actually getting to your plane...I just don't see how it's possible.

That is way too early. People on the cruise with us last January said they barely made their 1 PM flight, even using Princess transfers.

In addition to the famously congested terminal area and Houston traffic, you also have to wind among the four terminals at IAH. If you are last to be dropped off, count on an extra 30 minutes...then there is security...then you find out how long a hike you might have to your gate. Better bite the bullet now and make whatever changes you can, or risk a potential disaster.

Advice needed.

Just found out my sis and her family are on a 10:50 AM flight on 4/2 from Houston Bush Airport.

Apparently this is ALL they could get. They booked several months ago trying every possible combination but this is all they could get.

Is this insane? Assuming the ship got in right on time at 7 am, what is the earliest she could possibly get off the ship?

It's a good one hour drive to Houston Bush airport, correct? And building in the minimum one hour requirement, she needs to leave the ship absolutely no later than 8:45 or even 8:30 am.

I'm sure Princess groans at these situations but is there anything that can be done about asking to get off super early when the ship arrives back in Galveston? She is not the demanding type who says "the rules don't apply to us." She just got truly stuck in a bad position with the airline.

Egads. I see a nightmare scenario unfolding here.....any advice appreciated.

Regards

It's 71 miles from the cruise terminal to IAH. You can assume 1hr 30min drive time. Earliest average disembarkation will be about 8:30. I'm sure you can do the math. You don't mention their home base, so can't make any suggestions. If there are truly no other available Saturday flights, they might best stay overnoght and reschedule their flight for Sunday. There are a number of hotels nearby IAH.

thanks for the notes all.

The airline is booked so solid they are recommending at this point she try to make her original flight.

If she misses that one she can go standby on the next one in the afternoon.

After that they will make a judgement call and stay overnight at the airport and relax for the rest of the afternoon/evening if need be.

She really is in a bind she could not get on the afternoon flight even couple a months ago. Easter week busy as we all know....

I told her it's not worth ruining her trip over. She's going to do her best. If she doesn't make it there are other options--oddly enough the airline said Sunday is easier and more than likely she can get out Sunday AM.

Regards to all.

If she could make a Sunday flight arrangement - I would. Why even bother to go on a "relaxing" 7 day cruise if you are going to stress out about making your flight back home. Stress about making it TO the ship on time - yes, getting back home - nah, no way. Yeah, yeah, the thing called work.....

Have her call the airline and find out what the change fee is to change to a Sunday flight. Depending on the type (fare code) of ticket she bought, it can sometimes be a very reasonable change fee. It may be worth the peace of mind for her to make the change and stay in Houston one extra night. The chance of her making the 10:50 are slim; if she goes stand-by and doesn't get on a flight then opts to stay in Houston for the night, she'll be doing so without luggage! The baggage folks aren't real keen about giving luggage back to you once it's been checked.

Good luck!

on the 12th about 8 to 8:30 is when red tags were getting off. we were gold and were home 40 miles away at 10:45am Saturday. I believe you have to request the red tags. I would do so the first day as soon as you get on.

Archived