"Processing" time in LAX after arriving from Tahiti

MichCook

Trying to figure out when we should request our rental car be ready for pick-up. I want to allow enough time for us to get our luggage and get through customs line at LAX.

Our arrival time is 10:15 a.m. on a Sunday in January, if that makes any difference.

Can anyone give an approximation of how long it might take?

(This will be our first time through LAX...is it worse than Chicago, Miami or Atlanta?)

I allow an hour from touchdown to exiting baggage claim. It takes a few minutes to deplane, more time to walk from the gate to Immigration, time to wait for your luggage. Generally, I would say between 45 minutes to an hour total, sometimes less. It depends on how many other planes are arriving at the same time and how fast your luggage shows up. I've been there when there were long lines to go through Immigration and times when there was hardly anyone there.

I would just tell the rental compamy 11, they really dont care about an exact time, they just want to know approx time so its nothing you need to worry about and the rental car shuttles at LAX from all the companies circle constantly so no need to give an exact time for that either

I would just tell the rental compamy 11, they really dont care about an exact time, they just want to know approx time so its nothing you need to worry about and the rental car shuttles at LAX from all the companies circle constantly so no need to give an exact time for that either
Not so fast. I made the mistake once of telling the rental car company my plane's arrival time instead of an estimate as to when I'd pick up the car. The flight arrived late and it took me longer to get my luggage than I expected so I arrived over an hour after the time I'd listed. The car I'd reserved was no longer available and I was told it was given away because I wasn't there. I let them know what I thought of their policy and they "found" me a car. It was a real mess and not what I'd wanted after a long day of traveling. I now always tell them at least an hour after I estimate I'll be there.

Besides depending greatly on the number of international flights that have arrived at your terminal recently, the time required to get through Immigration also depends (sometimes greatly) on whether you are travelling on a U.S. or non-U.S. passport. In my experience, the non-U.S. line is usually much slower.

John

Trying to figure out when we should request our rental car be ready for pick-up. I want to allow enough time for us to get our luggage and get through customs line at LAX.

Our arrival time is 10:15 a.m. on a Sunday in January, if that makes any difference.

(This will be our first time through LAX...is it worse than Chicago, Miami or Atlanta?)

Most major rental car companies ask for flt information. Thus your car should be ready for you when you arrive at counter. They should be fimilar with the drill.

18 months ago, we were out of the plane, claimed our luggage, and through customs within 30 minutes (we were shocked as it has never been that quick before, but we got lucky being the only International arrival at that time). This past spring it was over 2 1/2 hours from getting off the plane to clearing customs (three flights all landing within minutes of each other). So, it will all depend on how many flights are landing about the same time, and how quickly your luggage comes out.

Please may I ask a side question OP We are hoping to break our trip to LAX with a couple of days in Honolulu Will I have to go through customs and immigration etc again in LAX Thanks Yvonne;)

Please may I ask a side question OP We are hoping to break our trip to LAX with a couple of days in Honolulu Will I have to go through customs and immigration etc again in LAX Thanks Yvonne;)
If you disembark in Honolulu, you are entering the US and go through Immigration and Customs there. When you fly to LAX, you are still in the US.

They were doing a major remodel of the Tom Bradley terminal when we were there in May. We had to walk down stairs to exit the plane and then board busses. They didn't have very many busses so we waited quite a while. They drove us around the terminal for about 15 minutes, just to get back to where we should have started. It was a LONG walk to get to the baggage claim area and would have been difficult for anyone with mobility issues.

We stood in a long line for immigration, claimed our luggage and then stood in a much longer line for customs. They were on break, or shift change or something, because they didn't process anyone for 20 minutes or so. The lines were a nightmare and when they finally started working they started working from the middle of the line, not the beginning :mad: :mad: We were in line over 2 hrs, start to finish. Needless to say we missed our connection and ended up with a 6 hour layover at LAX.

I'm guessing this is as bad as it gets, most days are probably better.

I pity anyone flying into LAX this weekend. CalTrans is having what is being called "Carmageddon", closing the 405 in both directions from LAX for 10 miles. The major highway and it'll be completely closed from tonight until Monday morning. They are predicting massive traffic jams both north and south of the closure. Just Google "Carmageddon."

Archived