what time does general disembarkation start

What time does the general disembarkation start for the Princess Ships that dock at the Southampton Cruise Port? Also what time does express disembarkation start and is it very chaotic at that time? Which is the best way to get off the ship if you want to get off early?

Broadly the same as other cruise ships, approved priority unassisted disembarkation (keep your cases in your cabin overnite & haul them yourselves in the morning) is usually from about 7am, general disembarkation from 7.30, usually only stragglers still aboard by 9.30am.

Some ships disembark in deck sequence, but line-jumping can usually be arranged.

On the pier it's all quite orderly throughout, especially first-thing. I've no idea what it's like around ship's elevators - but I can guess ;)

What's the rush?

Don't tell me - you want to fly out of Heathrow before noon :rolleyes: :D

Best you tell us where you want to be and when. Add date/day of the week, and if applicable the airport terminal and check-in time (and whether there's a later same-day flight), cos it all makes a difference.

John Bull :)

• 4 weeks later...

On our recent Princess cruise they sent out forms a few days before disembarking to find out each persons method of transfer from the ship. Using that info, they broke it down to half hour time slots starting at 6:00 AM. They gave out colored luggage tags, which distinguished which time slot and meeting place each group had for disembarking. The first group had to carry all of there own luggage off the ship.

Since our plane didn't depart early we elected to disembark at 8:30 AM to catch our pre-arranged taxi at 9:00. We thought it would take time to get our luggage and go through customs. Evidently, the rush was over and we practically walked right through! We also thought it would take a couple of hours to get to Heathrow but we were there around 10:00 AM.

One other thing you might want to know, is that on the Crown Princess they asked that everyone be out of there cabins by 8 AM.

We will be on the Caribbean Princess arriving in Southampton on a Monday. We are looking at a 12:15pm flight to Toronto Canada from Gatwick. Princess states for Gatwick departures after 12:30pm. The airline only has a 9:15am or 12:15pm flights out of Gatwick.

Do you think we would make it with Princess transfers? There are only 2 adults.

We will be on the Caribbean Princess arriving in Southampton on a Monday. We are looking at a 12:15pm flight to Toronto Canada from Gatwick. Princess states for Gatwick departures after 12:30pm. The airline only has a 9:15am or 12:15pm flights out of Gatwick.

Do you think we would make it with Princess transfers? There are only 2 adults.

During the summer, monday's not a good day due to weekenders returning to London.

The first Princess coach to Gatwick (make sure you're on the first coach) leaves about 8.15 to 8.30 & by coach it's about 2 hours, probably up to 30 mins longer on a summer monday. Hence Princess' cautious attitude to flights earlier than 12.30.

Yes, you'd probably be alright. :)

But probably isn't a good word when there's a flight to catch. :eek:

A private road transfer would cost £100 plus, & although you could leave earlier than the ship's coach you'd save only about 20 mins travelling time, and face the same risk of log-jam caused by accidents, road works or simply volume of traffic.

Can I suggest taking the train.

Americans / Canadians do tend to fight shy of trains, but trains in Britain (& most of europe) are a totally different prospect to those on your side of the Pond, way way better.

I'd rate it head & shoulders above any other transport in your circumstance.

Best bet would be early unassisted disembarkation & a 5 min / £7 taxi ride to Southampton rail station to catch the 8.10am train which goes direct to Gatwick airport (South terminal), arriving 10.08. Fare is £28 pp.

If you miss that train, there are others at 8.30. 8.33, 8.35. They all involve one change, the last of these arrives Gatwick 10.48.

The 9.10 is direct but arrives Gatwick 11.07, which is cutting it fine, esp if your flight is from North terminal, and also depends on last check-in

time for your airline.

Train details on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Your stations are Southampton central (SOU) & Gatwick airport (GTW)

JB :)

Thanks again for your great help. It helps to get information from people that live there.

After reading your information, I might take the train and stay over at a Gatwick hotel and take the flight the next day. I am the type that would panic about missing the flights.

I see that we can take the Gatwick Express to Victoria station, every 15 minutes. How long a ride is it? Is it all the time? What is the cost?

I see that we can take the Gatwick Express to Victoria station, every 15 minutes. How long a ride is it? Is it all the time? What is the cost?

Gatwick Express is £17.90 single between Gatwick Airport and London Victoria or £23.80 for a day return or £30.80 for an anytime return. Journey time is 30mins.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Gatwick Express, get a Southern Train and it's £12.60 for an off peak day return to London Victoria, they only take 9mins longer because they stop at East Croydon and Clapham Junction.

First Capital Connect also run services into London, £13 off peak return and take around 35mins to London Blackfriars stopping at East Croydon and London Bridge.

Timetable - http://www.southernrailway.com/download/8108.1/03-gatwick-airport-to-london/ including Southern, First Capital Connect and Gatwick Express.

Have a look at www.nationalrail.co.uk for trains on your specific date, they may be cheaper if booked in advance.

By taking the train, I really don't see a problem with same-day flight.

But if you want to stay over, it does give you an afternoon/evening in The Smoke.

If you're going to do that, can I suggest you consider an airport hotel (there are two or three, Sofitel I think is one) rather than one of the many off-airport hotels, cos you'll need to get from train (at airport south terminal) to hotel to drop luggage, back to south terminal for train or Gatwick Express to town, train returns to south terminal for your overnite, then you've gotta get back to the airport for your flight.

There's a free shuttle between N & S terminals.

A standard train from Gatwick into town at about £12 return is almost half the price of the Gatwick Express & at about 40 mins is only 10 mins slower. Decent frequency (mainly half-hourly), and return trains available into the wee small hours.

Details of both services on that same rail website.

You also have the option of taking the train direct from Southampton to London Waterloo, a central London hotel for the night, and train or Gatwick express next day, tho' for the 9.15am flight that would mean waking before the larks. :p

JB :)

Archived