celebration, acts & staff ??????

friends have just been on celebration, and we asked would they re-book, answer was a complete no-no. i asked them for valid reason and they stated in order.

1, evening acts are poor a quality, holiday "rep" style shows, not very impressed with uk acts .

2, all inclusive, is a joke, staff shortages cause long times for getting served, waiters cant keep up as they are over worked, people ended up standing at bars to order double rounds just to cover, waiting, they reckon its impossible to get served at times.

3, food has been reduced in costing by using lower quality grades, confirmed by a seasoned thomson user on board.

these people are honest friends, and i value there points, as they were on dream a few months back, and loved it. i want to visit istanbul next year, but thomson aint the only one going, so just thought i get a second opinion from yourselves, thanks.

We were on the Ancient Wonders Cruise (which included Istanbul) on Celebration at the beginning of June.Personally,Celebration is my favourite Thomsons ship,primarily because of the service and the attention to detail! ie.When you take a table in the Lido restaurant the waiters are there immediately offering water or hot drinks..I don't remember that on Spirit or Destiny.I can't comment on the Dream as we are sailing on her for the first time in a few weeks.

We are not huge fans of Broadway shows etc.but,we do appreciate the skill and effort gone into them.The onboard group,Top Men,we thought were very good.

The drinks situation.We wer'n't all inclusive but, we found the service,even in a busy Liberties bar very good.People are all different,we are young (ish) cruisers and it was only our fifth cruise and our second time on Celebration but I hope this gives another view of this wonderful ship.

Best wishes,

Mark.

friends have just been on celebration, and we asked would they re-book, answer was a complete no-no. i asked them for valid reason and they stated in order.

1, evening acts are poor a quality, holiday "rep" style shows, not very impressed with uk acts .

2, all inclusive, is a joke, staff shortages cause long times for getting served, waiters cant keep up as they are over worked, people ended up standing at bars to order double rounds just to cover, waiting, they reckon its impossible to get served at times.

3, food has been reduced in costing by using lower quality grades, confirmed by a seasoned thomson user on board.

these people are honest friends, and i value there points, as they were on dream a few months back, and loved it. i want to visit istanbul next year, but thomson aint the only one going, so just thought i get a second opinion from yourselves, thanks.

I can't comment on the entertainment in Liberties but we were on the Celebration in April and I must say the evening shows were the worst programme of shows we've seen in many Thomson cruises. The showteam weren't the best either. It's not much consolation when you're disappointed with the entertainment as for us it's part of what we look forward to on our cruise but hopefully this is not symptomatic of a general decline.

We've just gor back from the Dream and the shows (mix and content) were excellent and amongst the best we've seen and really restored my faith in Thomson entertainment.

In the interests of their reputation and the passengers sailing on Celebration, it's to be hoped they get this isssue sorted out if lots of passengers are giving poor reports about the entertainment.

we were on the celebration at the beginning of june (egypt and the holy lands) and we thought everything from evening entertainment, restaurants, bars & staff, to the trips were absolutely wonderful. no complains here :)

we were on the celebration at the beginning of june (egypt and the holy lands) and we thought everything from evening entertainment, restaurants, bars & staff, to the trips were absolutely wonderful. no complains here :)

Hi cadge,

Don't get me wrong - Celebration is perhaps our favourite ship and we too were very happy with the service and everything else on board - including to an extent the entertainment. My point was however that in 20 Thomson cruises we had the most disappointing programme of evening shows we've ever had on Thomson on that particular cruise - and by a long way the worst.

That's not to say it was awful just nothing like as good as on other trips. We had a short welcome show, 2 comedians, 2 concerto shows and even the play in the evening. On a 12 night cruise that represented just 6 of what we consider to be the full production shows - and they weren't the best we'd seen either.

Compare that to the nine high quality (content, production and performance) shows we've just seen on the Dream plus the play in the afternoon - so an 'extra' - and perhaps you will see that my criticism is comparative.

Thomson have such an excellent reputation for their entertainment it would be really bad news for them and us if they don't maintain standards. I realise there is likely to be some variation from team to team and from season to season as the shows change but the top and bottom of it was, imo, that they had moved from a season of 7-night cruises to a 12 night one and hadn't got the material under their belts to provide good shows for the extra five nights.

Understandable from their point of view but not good news for their passengers - and once relocated in Marmaris they would have some passengers doing b2b cruises and expecting 14 nights of varied high quality entertainment. That's what we just had on Dream so I stand by my original comments that by comparison the entertainment in April on Celebration was below par judged by the standard we have come to expect and had in the past. (Sounds as though it may have improved for your trip although not for the OP friends).

Anyway, it wouldn't put me off going on Celebration but I would hope that there had been some improvement to the shows from our previous visit.

Hi there,we are just back from the Celebration and I have to say we were slightly disappointed with the service by some of the bar staff especially in Liberties.One was so rude it left us speechless.We had asked for a drink twice before any notice was taken and on the third time when we were eventually given the drinks they were slammed down and the steward didnt even wait for us to sign for them,he moved off and we didnt see him the rest of the evening.I must say i thought the entertainment was first class as was the service and food in the Meridian.I have been on a few Thomson ships but we wont be back on the Celebration just because of the bar service, which for us is a big part of our holiday.

ive spoken to our friends again, and they are adamant its a no rtn on the celebration, and its just the observations they noticed regarding staffing levels, just basics like waiter service in the bars, and it taking for ever to get served, every night, just a pain in the end. and most were all inclusive on board ? they reckon this is a deliberate ploy, and does spoil it. they queried their room steward, and he confirmed their worries, that staff numbers had reduced ? so maybe thats the reason.

as for the entertainment, they just said, poor value for money, even the two acts from uk wasnt nothing special, but the level of quality has dropped. looking at the above post, i reckon our friends have noticed something others have as well ????

Archived