NCL Sun Cruise to Baltics - Summary/Advice

My wife and I just returned from the 9 day Norwegian Sun Baltic cruise. After much research on each stop and heeding the advice of many posts on CruiseCritic, I wanted to outline the various ports and offer up advice to those planning to take this cruise:

Copenhagen: We flew in the day of the cruise at 7:15am. We purchased train tickets from the airport to Central Station. The cost was $72DKK for two. Once at Central Station, we dropped off our luggage at the baggage storage area. The cost for 2 LARGE suitcases was $110DKK. From there, we headed out on foot to tackle one of the walking tours I printed off the internet. After looking around for about 4 hours, we returned to the train station to collect our bags. Not completely sure how far a train or bus station was from the Freeport Cruise Terminal, we took a taxi. The cost was $124DKK.

Germany: We opted to book SPB Tours for the trip to Berlin. Although it is three hours from the port, I cannot say how happy we were with them. The guide was extremely knowledgably and energetic. They pick you up at the port and return you back that evening.

Estonia: Town is a short 10-15 minute walk from the port. We utilized a walking tour I printed off the internet. This is a great town for sightseeing, shopping, and stopping in a café for a drink and a snack. I recommend stopping in Tristan Ja Esolde Kohvik. It is in Town Hall Square. They offered food (elk soup and homemade breads) for $1Euro, and all drinks for $2Euros.

St. Petersburg: We opted to book SPB Tours for both days in port. As in Berlin, I cannot say how happy we were with them. This guide was also extremely knowledgably and energetic. They pick you up at the port and return you back each day. There are multiple tours available here. We took the Baltic Pearl Tour. Included with this is lunch each day in a Russian restaurant. Buy your souvenirs from one of the gift shops you will stop in during the tour. They have the best selection and prices compared to anywhere else (including the ship).

Helsinki: A short walk off the port is a bus stop for bus #16. That will take you into town and bring you back. Opt for a one day transportation pass for $7Euros/person (you can buy it from the bus driver). That will include all buses, ferries, and trams. Once in town, we did another walking tour on our own. Do not miss riding the public ferry over to Suomenlinna Fortress. The fortress is free and the ferry ride is part of your day transportation pass. It was one of the highlights of this city. After returning, we jumped on a tram and rode it the complete loop around the city. It will also take you out to the Rock Church. This is also included in the day transportation pass.

Stockholm: This was the only port that we took an NCL excursion. We bought the Vasa Museum and 4 hours of free time tour. You will go to the Vasa first and then get dropped off downtown. You will be dropped off across from the Royal Palace before noon to catch the changing of the guards. We then did another walking tour on our own. Certainly make sure you get into Gamla Stan (Old Town). There are great cafes and shops.

Just be warned that this cruise is very port intensive and involves a LOT of walking. As noted on CruiseCritic, all the ports are extremely easy to navigate on your own. Do your research. Print out walking tours of the various stops. The only real money you need in port is tips for any tour guides, and food/drinks/souvenirs that you may want to purchase. Most places took America currency, but beware some gave change in their currency. I ended up taking some Euros and some Danish Kroner which I got from my bank before I left. Although not the best exchange rate, there is a currency exchange in the Copenhagen airport that you can utilize if necessary.

Safety is not really an issue in any of the ports, but you will be warned by many about pick pockets. We actually watched it happen!! Be careful with wallets and purses.

Hope this helps! Feel free to leave questions on this board. I will answer as quickly as possible. :)

My wife and I just returned from the 9 day Norwegian Sun Baltic cruise. After much research on each stop and heeding the advice of many posts on CruiseCritic, I wanted to outline the various ports and offer up advice to those planning to take this cruise:

Copenhagen: We flew in the day of the cruise at 7:15am. We purchased train tickets from the airport to Central Station. The cost was $72DKK for two. Once at Central Station, we dropped off our luggage at the baggage storage area. The cost for 2 LARGE suitcases was $110DKK. From there, we headed out on foot to tackle one of the walking tours I printed off the internet. After looking around for about 4 hours, we returned to the train station to collect our bags. Not completely sure how far a train or bus station was from the Freeport Cruise Terminal, we took a taxi. The cost was $124DKK.

Germany: We opted to book SPB Tours for the trip to Berlin. Although it is three hours from the port, I cannot say how happy we were with them. The guide was extremely knowledgably and energetic. They pick you up at the port and return you back that evening.

Estonia: Town is a short 10-15 minute walk from the port. We utilized a walking tour I printed off the internet. This is a great town for sightseeing, shopping, and stopping in a café for a drink and a snack. I recommend stopping in Tristan Ja Esolde Kohvik. It is in Town Hall Square. They offered food (elk soup and homemade breads) for $1Euro, and all drinks for $2Euros.

St. Petersburg: We opted to book SPB Tours for both days in port. As in Berlin, I cannot say how happy we were with them. This guide was also extremely knowledgably and energetic. They pick you up at the port and return you back each day. There are multiple tours available here. We took the Baltic Pearl Tour. Included with this is lunch each day in a Russian restaurant. Buy your souvenirs from one of the gift shops you will stop in during the tour. They have the best selection and prices compared to anywhere else (including the ship).

Helsinki: A short walk off the port is a bus stop for bus #16. That will take you into town and bring you back. Opt for a one day transportation pass for $7Euros/person (you can buy it from the bus driver). That will include all buses, ferries, and trams. Once in town, we did another walking tour on our own. Do not miss riding the public ferry over to Suomenlinna Fortress. The fortress is free and the ferry ride is part of your day transportation pass. It was one of the highlights of this city. After returning, we jumped on a tram and rode it the complete loop around the city. It will also take you out to the Rock Church. This is also included in the day transportation pass.

Stockholm: This was the only port that we took an NCL excursion. We bought the Vasa Museum and 4 hours of free time tour. You will go to the Vasa first and then get dropped off downtown. You will be dropped off across from the Royal Palace before noon to catch the changing of the guards. We then did another walking tour on our own. Certainly make sure you get into Gamla Stan (Old Town). There are great cafes and shops.

Just be warned that this cruise is very port intensive and involves a LOT of walking. As noted on CruiseCritic, all the ports are extremely easy to navigate on your own. Do your research. Print out walking tours of the various stops. The only real money you need in port is tips for any tour guides, and food/drinks/souvenirs that you may want to purchase. Most places took America currency, but beware some gave change in their currency. I ended up taking some Euros and some Danish Kroner which I got from my bank before I left. Although not the best exchange rate, there is a currency exchange in the Copenhagen airport that you can utilize if necessary.

Safety is not really an issue in any of the ports, but you will be warned by many about pick pockets. We actually watched it happen!! Be careful with wallets and purses.

Hope this helps! Feel free to leave questions on this board. I will answer as quickly as possible. :)

Nice summary. We were on the cruise before you - June 22nd. Your experience mirrors our experiences in these ports, and with SPB. We did their walking tour in Tallinn and can recommend it also. FYI, for August tours they are offering 4 tours for price of 2 - pay for Berlin and St. P. and get Helsinki and Tallinn for free on their website. Can't say enough positive aobut them, and about how great these ports are.

Just a bit of jet lag. We left the US at 5:30pm, getting into Copenhagen at 7:15am (their time) the next day. But that was 1:15am our home time. I did take Melatonin on the plane ride and did manage to get some sleep. Once you arrive, you are pretty excited that your vacation is starting so that will help keep you awake. But you will probably want to get to bed relatively early the first cruise night since the next day is a full day in port. Just try to keep going.....the next day is a day at sea and will provide plenty of opportunity to get some rest. I did talk to some folks from the west coast, and they seemed to take a bit longer to catch up on the time changes. Have fun!

Nice report. We did our cruise 2 years ago, and it could have mirrored yours now. except we docked in Stockholm. Glad you had a great time.

Cheers

Len

For nex year the Sun will dock in Stockholm, at the expense of a longer visit. All in all though I would rather have the experience of cruising into Stockholm through the archipelago.

Here are the links to the walking tours we took. Keep in mind with a walking tour, you have the flexibility to alter the route to see the things you are most interested in. We did not do any of these in their complete entirety except Tallinn. But they will certainly give you a great head start for making your way around the cities. Have fun!

Tallinn

http://www.*****.com/Tallinn/Tallinn%20Walking%20Tour%20pdf.pdf

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

Helsinki

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/helsinki/0053010008.html

Copenhagen

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/copenhagen/0048020033.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/copenhagen/0048020034.html

Stockholm

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/stockholm/0066020033.html

We are seriously thinking of going back to the Baltic on another cruise in 2012. Last time we used cruise ship excursions for Berlin and St. Petersburg. However, after reading your review, which was terrific by the way, we would like to hear more about SPB Tours. Did you get a group together through your roll call or were you able to join a grouop through SPB? Going alone (2 people) seems a bit expensive so we would like to join a small group up to 10. Any recommendations or should I just contact SPB Tours directly? Thanks again for the wonderful review.

Kruz Guys

Stephen and Tom

stephenandtom@att.net

Here are the links to the walking tours we took. Keep in mind with a walking tour, you have the flexibility to alter the route to see the things you are most interested in. We did not do any of these in their complete entirety except Tallinn. But they will certainly give you a great head start for making your way around the cities. Have fun!

Tallinn

http://www.*****.com/Tallinn/Tallinn%20Walking%20Tour%20pdf.pdf

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

Helsinki

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/helsinki/0053010008.html

Copenhagen

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/copenhagen/0048020033.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/copenhagen/0048020034.html

Stockholm

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/stockholm/0066020033.html

Again you have provided some excellent material and ideas for walking tours. Sounds like these are quite do-able. Thanks for the links.

Kruz Guys

Stephen and Tom

:D

If you google the Copenhagen Tourism Bureau, you can email them and they will send you some very nice maps which include several walking tours. We used their walking tour to do most of Copenhagen. It was more of a 4-5 hour walk, but at a very leisurely pace, allowing for stops and eats. Copenhagen is very easy to do on your own, as most things are in a compact area.

Cheers

Len

If you google the Copenhagen Tourism Bureau, you can email them and they will send you some very nice maps which include several walking tours. We used their walking tour to do most of Copenhagen. It was more of a 4-5 hour walk, but at a very leisurely pace, allowing for stops and eats. Copenhagen is very easy to do on your own, as most things are in a compact area.

Cheers

Len

Definately will do that Thanks.

Stephen and Tom

I contacted SPB Tours (link below), and let them know the date I would be in each city. This was about 5 months before we left. I booked my wife and me on the various tours we wanted (no money due until you get there), and also posted a message on their roll call boards. I got several responses and instructed the folks to mention my name when they booked their tour. SPB will fill up a tour to the maximum before starting another like tour. The Russia tour filled up to 20 people about a month before we left, and the Germany filled to 16 about 2 weeks before we left. You will not pay for a 2 person tour unless that is what you want. SPB will work to group people with you until the maximum is reached.

http://www.spb-tours.com/

We also used SPB tours. Get people from your Cruise Critic roll call. Our roll call had various tours. The consensus was that all the tours were wonderful. We found that in St Pete. ten people was just the right size for the group. A hint we learned from Cruise Critic. To get off the ship on the first day in St Pete. Go to the forward elevators and go down to level three. You will be right where you walk off the ship. We had no problem getting off the ship when we wished. I compliment NCL Sun and the Hotel Director and Captain for that.

Archived