Stilton cheese on the cheese plate?

woodley

At one of our Pinnacle Grill nights on the Westerdam (July 2) the spouse ordered cheese dessert plate, one cheese was identified as "blueberry Stilton".....spouse didnt care for it but I happily disposed of it for him. Deliciious. Can it be truly a stilton if it has "additives"?

I'm not a cheese connoisseur, since I'm lactose intolerant, but I adore good cheese. With careful preparation, I enjoy a bite or two here and there.

This thread has my love of bleu cheese peaked! I must try Stilton.

Would it be unthinkable to garnish a perfect steak with it? I try to have a bit of bleu on my steaks, I think the warmth intensifies the flavor, and I savor it. And yes, you can taste the difference in good bleu and cheap bleu on a steak. Good bleu creams into the most lovely texture.

Oh, yes! Stilton, melting down on a perfectly barbecued steak is to die for!

Stilton is an acquired taste, and , to a Canadian with a Brit background, a very expensive one, too!

I hope we get to have some on the cheese plates on our February cruise.

;)

Oh, yes! Stilton, melting down on a perfectly barbecued steak is to die for!

Stilton is an acquired taste, and , to a Canadian with a Brit background, a very expensive one, too!

I hope we get to have some on the cheese plates on our February cruise.

;)

Is it stronger? More earthy? More pungent?

If so, it's the cheese for me!!!

I'm a voracious foodie. I love many foods from many places.

Oh my, now I'm thinking martinis!

To me, a perfect martini is a slightly dirty ice chipped Grey Goose martini with a glass coating of vermouth, and two bleu cheese stuffed olives, to which you give a three swirl stir, so that the creamiest bit of cheese permeates the vodka.

Oh, heaven!

I need to find the cheese!

I'm not a cheese connoisseur, since I'm lactose intolerant, but I adore good cheese. With careful preparation, I enjoy a bite or two here and there.

Would it be unthinkable to garnish a perfect steak with it? I try to have a bit of bleu on my steaks, I think the warmth intensifies the flavor, and I savor it. And yes, you can taste the difference in good bleu and cheap bleu on a steak. Good bleu creams into the most lovely texture.

while this isn't a bleu, I've got a great gorganzola cheese sauce I make for our steaks. It's fantastic! I'm assuming you could do it with any good quality cheese

At one of our Pinnacle Grill nights on the Westerdam (July 2) the spouse ordered cheese dessert plate, one cheese was identified as "blueberry Stilton".....spouse didnt care for it but I happily disposed of it for him. Deliciious. Can it be truly a stilton if it has "additives"?

Absolutely! What they do is take the base cheese that they would then innoculate with mold to make regular Stilton - and well, they don't. Instead they call it white stilton and they mix it with various fruits like blueberry, ginger, cranberry, apricot. White Stilton with apricots is one of my favorite cheeses - besides regular Stilton of course. Its tangy, a bit crumbly and has a lovely fruity finish. Its a little like an aged goat cheese in a way because you've got the tartness and some crumble but without the goat milk finish.

Stlton or roquefort is preferred bu almost any firm blue cheese will work. Melt a large pat of butter and add the crubled cheese (as much as you want) and mix well and pour over steak (rare is best) and it adds a lot of flavor but none of the bite that the cheese alone has on a steak. Had this in France about 10 years ago and now we do it at home.

With a little research you can find cheeses that are naturally low in lactose and the virtue of being a fermented dairy product the lactose (milk sugars) have been pre-digested, to greater or lesser degrees. Many of us as we age or are members of certain ethnic groups have to work around this.

Mozarella is virtually lactose free and lactose their amounts go up from there. Plus the fattier the cheese or dairy product, the less lactose problem too as the fat slows down the digestive process allowing what ever residual lactase you might still have more time to do its work breaking down the milk sugars. Good news is rich premium ice cream and sour cream works!

The dairy nutrients in cheese go a long way because they are so concentrated by the cheese process. So little slices and tastes are in fact the way to go -- which makes the HAL over-kill portion sizes a bit much for their "cheese plates".

PS: among the "blues", it is the green authentic gorgonzola that steals my heart

Archived