Mini Suites - Coral Princess

High C's

I would welcome any advice regarding mini suites on the Coral. Suggested locations to optimize my view of the Panama Canal? Privacy on balconies?

I am looking at any of the mini-suites on the front corner of the middle bump (A416 or 429; B416 or 431; or C416 or 417). If these are not great locations, then I would go for a mini at the front of the ship (to ensure balcony privacy - not interested in being "open" to the top of the ship).

However, as always, I bow to the wisdom of the members of Cruise Critic!!!!

I did research before booking the Coral last week. We decided on the AC near the aft for the same purposes you want...privacy. The balconies on Dolphin aft are also covered almost fully.

I have heard that the staterooms on the "bump" corners have smaller balconies.

The AA's near the bow are suppose to be the best, but we didn't see a need to pay an extra $400-$500 for the same size stateroom.

Also, everyone says to watch the canal transit up on the top deck and not your balcony for optimum views.

We booked on the Caribe deck. Our agent told us that they are large and are 1/2 shade, 1/2 sun. Keeps both DH and me happy:cool: Plus we decided to get a larger balcony cabin, and maybe the upgrade fairy will treat us. But after reading all the posts I think i'll stay on Caribe deck. So unless it's a better cabin on this deck, we'll stay with the cabin we picked:)

We booked on the Caribe deck. Our agent told us that they are large and are 1/2 shade, 1/2 sun. Keeps both DH and me happy:cool: Plus we decided to get a larger balcony cabin, and maybe the upgrade fairy will treat us. But after reading all the posts I think i'll stay on Caribe deck. So unless it's a better cabin on this deck, we'll stay with the cabin we picked:)

We were in C217 on the 12/10-12/20 Panama Canal cruise and our balcony was fully covered. There several postings on this board listing every balcony and whether it is fully covered, partially covered, or totally open. We were in the starboard lane and with a starboard balcony, we did not get the kind of views we wanted.

As to location for viewing the transit, we found that everyone was clustered up front and the stern was practically deserted. We had a tremendous view of the locks in operation, other ships transiting the canal, the "mules" in operation, etc. Another option is to move around the ship for different views.

We were in an AA mini - B217. Location was great - lots of privacy, mostly covered. You can also see the bridge from the balcony.

On Canal day, we were allowed to go through the "crew only" exit door to go out onto the area on the front of the ship. Not many people were there and we had a great view coming into the locks. We went back to our balcony later on to have breakfast and also had a good view as we went through the last lock.

We would book this mini again if we were to return to the canal.

I can help you by listing which balconies on Coral Princess are fully covered or not...

A209-310; A416-504; A624-722 uncovered

A311-425 and A506-623 covered with overhanging roof

B205-217; B701-737 uncovered

B218-309; B416-633 partially covered

B311- 427; B622-645 covered

C205-231; C705-726 covered

C232-703 partially covered

C727-728 uncovered

D206-309; D418-502; D624-724 covered

D311-417; D503-623; D725-726 uncovered

E207-310; 624-737 covered

I hope this was helpful.

Specs

I believe after research and looking at photos, that the four corner midship bumpout AB minisuites on Dolphin Deck (D416, D417, D503, D504) are also partially covered. Anyway, I really hope so because we're booked in D417 in March 2006!

We were in AA minisuite B210 last November for the Panama canal on Coral. Agree with the writer above who was in B217 that it was a great location. The balcony was partially covered. No passenger rooms above us---on the Aloha deck above that area are the officers' quarters and bridge. It was easy to view the canal from our balcony or the front deck on Baja or to run up or down the steps to the public decks for good views. I did go to the stern deck on Baja as well, though that was the entire length of the ship to the rear.:)

I am booked in minisuite C221 for my Alaska cruise in May.

Coral Princess is a beautiful ship---have a great cruise!

Thanks everyone - I think I'll stick to the front area rather than the corner bumps, based on the info I received.

Did any of you have the "Ultimate Balcony Dinner" experience? The cruise I am booking (Panama 2006) is for our 25th, so I would like to plan something a little different.

Also, I am anxiously awaiting the release of itineraries for the remainder of 2006. Anyone have any inside scoop on when this will happen??

Thanks and Happy Easter everyone

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Was reading the posts on the Coral. We booked a Vista Suite D631 and our other family booked D630 for April "06. What do you mean by a covered balcony? This will be our first sailing on the Princess Line. Also can anyone give me details about the ship, dining, tipping policies and must see excursions. Thanks so much!

Hi,

Was reading the posts on the Coral. We booked a Vista Suite D631 and our other family booked D630 for April "06. What do you mean by a covered balcony? This will be our first sailing on the Princess Line. Also can anyone give me details about the ship, dining, tipping policies and must see excursions. Thanks so much!

Hmm - I'm now getting neurotic - I too don't understand the covered / uncovered thing. I have booked B518 for Xmas / New Year. Can anyone tell me anything about the balcony, view etc (Didn't know there was so much to it!) I'm a first timer as you can tell!

Hi,

We booked a Vista Suite D631 and our other family booked D630 for April "06. What do you mean by a covered balcony?

These Vista Suites will have covered balconies..... From my research from our cruise on the Island (sister ship), I found that these are covered from the bumpout above on Caribe Deck.

Hi,

Thanks to those who answered me. After reading I realized the covered balcony is what we had 3 times on Holland America. It did nothing to obstruct the view and we still had very sunny days on the verandah when the pool was to crowded at sea we used the chaise lounges out there to sun. For some reason I was thinking it was fully enclosed. Thanks again!

Royal Carribean- Monarch of the Seas '01

Holland America- Massdam '02

Holland America- Massdam' '03

Holland America- Veendam '04

Norwegian- Norwegian Sun '05

Norwegian (waiting for)- Norwegian Crown October '05

We had Dolphin 417 on both the Coral Princess for the Panama Canal and also again on The Island Princess to Hawaii. Fabulous location and and partially covered. I'd say three-fourths. I'd pick that cabin again for either of those trips.

We had Dolphin 417 on both the Coral Princess for the Panama Canal and also again on The Island Princess to Hawaii. Fabulous location and and partially covered. I'd say three-fourths. I'd pick that cabin again for either of those trips.

That is a mini suite that comes under the bumpout, right? Doesn't the bump out stop on the Caribe Deck? I guess my question is... your balcony was normal size, not rounded off like th corner bumpout cabins, right??

Will be on the Coral first time 1/23/06. We chose C229 as it is a mini with a covered balcony. It is also forward which is where Horizon Court is located. Love to run up and grab some munchies to eat while sitting on the balcony.

Diane

That cabin has a regular size balcony for a mini and is not rounded. It is covered by The Caribe Deck. Once again, I can't recommend that cabin enough. It is not totally private, however, so if that is what is important, look elsewhere.

Thanks!! I will keep an eye on one of those 4 cabins and see if any open up after final payment date. I love where we are, but if we can move midship and still have some coverage over the balcony and it NOT be rounded off, it is ideal! Thanks! We are in an aft mini with a fully covered balcony.... I just don't want to be fully exposed like most of the mini's on Dolphin.

Thanks!

The mini-suites on Coral (and her sister Island) are nice, they pale in comparison to the mini-suites on the Sun class ships. I think the Sun's mini-suites are the nicest (and roomiest) in the fleet.

Actually no, no matter what Princess currently calls them.

The Sun class, Sun, Dawn, Sea and Ocean.

Coral class, Coral and Island.

Different hull design, different GRT, different PAX load, different staffing levels, different builders.