Disembarking southampton

BMT

We are sailing on the QE in September and succumbed to temptation .......we are transferring to another ship sailing out the same day the QE arrives back in Soham. Tough life being retirees!!:D

Anyone have any idea of what is the latest time we can disembark from QE? Problem is that I have a very elderly lady with me and I don't suppose we can check-in at the next ship before about 11.00am.

I would consider reserving a room at a local hotel, but they seem to be pretty full and check-out isn't until noon.:eek:

Any ideas?

We wanted a late disembarkation time when we left the QM2 last week. On checking we were told we could leave the ship at any time after our allocated time as long as it was by 10 am. If we had wanted to depart earlier we would have needed a new colour-coded label. We had to vacate our room by 8.30 am. We waited in the Chart Room which was the place we were told to wait. When we left the ship at 10 am some people had arrived for the next departure and were waiting in the lounge area of the terminal. There was a kiosk selling refreshments and there were toilets.

We are sailing on the QE in September and succumbed to temptation .......we are transferring to another ship sailing out the same day the QE arrives back in Soham. Tough life being retirees!!:D

Anyone have any idea of what is the latest time we can disembark from QE? Problem is that I have a very elderly lady with me and I don't suppose we can check-in at the next ship before about 11.00am.

I would consider reserving a room at a local hotel, but they seem to be pretty full and check-out isn't until noon.:eek:

Any ideas?

Hi BMT,

that's an interesting question, not least because it is the opposite of the normal question on here which is "how early can I disembark?".

There are a couple of factors you haven't mentioned in your post that might have a bearing on matters:

1) Which terminal is QE arriving at in Soton, and which terminal does the ship you are joining depart from. Of the four current terminals, the QEII and the Mayflower are the farthest apart and I would have thought that if you can delay your disembarkation from QE for as long as possible (say just after 10.00), by the time you had got yourself off the ship, sorted out your luggage and managed to get yourself a taxi you wouldn't be all that early getting to the other terminal.

2) Will you be able to "self disembark"? By that I mean are you able to carry all your luggage with you or will you leaving some out the night before arrival in Soton and collecting it in the baggage hall when you disembark? If it's the latter, I would be a delaying disembarkation for too long. A couple of lonely suitcases all on their own in a vast baggage hall have an uncanny ability to attract the attention of security personnel, and there could be a problem by the time you catch up with them.

J

As mentioned earlier, we disembarked around 10 am (taking train after 11 am). It was so easy to find our luggage. No walking up and down and getting annoyed because we couldn't find ours and we had no wait for a taxi.

2irisheyes - Why was it easy to find your luggage? My cruising has almost always resulted in searches among the piles of luggage. How were your bags noted from all the others? I am on QM2 in early September and very anxious to read your explanation. Jack Morris

Thank you all for your replies.

We are certainly not 'self' embark' - this is a cruise for two ladies and part of our experience is to look the business!! Well, at any rate, to look nice.:p So, we have Luggage!! Covered in ribbon, bright tape etc. Very naff:D But, easy to spot.

10.00am sounds just the ticket. By the time we collect our luggage and get a cab over to the other dock, the timing will be about right. We like disembarking late as its so easy to spot the Luggage. Hope Security aren't awaiting our presence!!

26 days without cooking or cleaning and no flying!! And we love round Britain cruises. Couldn't be better......... I hope.:D

Thanks again.

2old4this - our bags were easily found as by 10 am most of the passengers had gone and there were not many bags left. For example for our deck there were only about six remaining including ours. Previously when we have disembarked early or earlier the hall was crammed full of bags.

If you leave one ship at 10:00am, the earliest you can board is usually 12:00 midday, assuming your boarding tickets say that early. What you could do is get your suitcases on disembarkation, shove them in a taxi and pay him to take you on a short trip for a couple of hours say around the New Forest where there are some nice British Pubs to enjoy lunch before returning to the cruise terminal to board your next ship. I would think the taxi fare for a couple of hours would be on a par to a hotel day room.

If you leave one ship at 10:00am, the earliest you can board is usually 12:00 midday, assuming your boarding tickets say that early. What you could do is get your suitcases on disembarkation, shove them in a taxi and pay him to take you on a short trip for a couple of hours say around the New Forest where there are some nice British Pubs to enjoy lunch before returning to the cruise terminal to board your next ship. I would think the taxi fare for a couple of hours would be on a par to a hotel day room.

Hmm.... well, as far as I am aware, boarding for Celebrity is often around the 11.00 ish mark. But, I believe we can drop off our luggage pretty early. They have quite a good waiting area also.

However, as long as we don't have luggage, we would probably go to the West Quay Shopping Centre and find a coffee shop there. I think the New Forest for a couple of hours, would be a little far. I used to show New Forest ponies, so am familiar with the area. Thanks for the suggestion though - I am not discarding it!!! Thoughts of lovely pub lunch in New Forest as opposed to fighting in a ship's buffet? Hmmmmm......

Interestingly, just looked at our Cunard embarkation info and no mention is made about the time of boarding!! We will be arriving by train at about 1.30pm, so hopefully, we can board immediately.

Archived