ARCADIA or AURORA or CUNARD

kentquilter

Travelling with some first time cruisers. I have cruised with P & O and Princess. Favourite ships Aurora and Oriana. Most suitable dates and ports of call mean sailing on Arcadia but have read some poor reviews of her - food, shabby, no "Wow" factor.

Can someone convince me she is as good as the other two.

Or should I go with Cunard Queen Elizabeth?

I've read that Arcadia is adults only and that it's mainly full of elderly ones. That doesn't appeal to me.

I can recommend Cunard and the QE but be aware that, unlike P&O, you don't get a bath-tub, just a shower, unless you book a Grills suite. Also there are no kettles in the cabins and meals are plated, not silver service.

I don't know whether any of the above factors are important to you or not?

Arcadia is definately an adult only ship.

Arcadia is one of my favourite ships. It is not glitzy like others. It is about 3/4 years ago since I was on her and it was not shabby. the food was excellent as were the staff. i personally would recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Arcadia is a lovely ship. Balcony cabins are a good size compared to other "standard balconies" on other P&O ships. These are better value for money for singles as they are "D grade" and P&O charge 100% ss on other ships rather than the more typical 50-70%. Arcadia is starting to show her age is some parts and hopefully most of the minor problems will be fixed at her upcoming refit.

Queen Victoria is a far more elegant ship in my opinion. There seems to be a better passenger/staff ratio and service is slightly better. Food in the MDR is not quite as good as that offered by the new menus just released by P&O.

On QV avoid cabins under the Lido as there have been many comments made regarding noise in the early hours. I was in 8121 and was woken almost every morning at 04:00 by the sound of trollies being moved in the Lido. I was in a stern cabin on deck 8 on Arcadia, and noticed very little noise from the deck above during the night although I had expected some.

As to the age of passengers. It will depend on the length and destination of the cruise. Not much difference between Arcadia and QV on the cruises I've been on. If anything, my trip to the Fjords (July) on Arcadia had a much lower average age with many being below 30 and not mainly full of elderly ones, but that could be due to the time and destination.

Travelling with some first time cruisers. I have cruised with P & O and Princess. Favourite ships Aurora and Oriana. Most suitable dates and ports of call mean sailing on Arcadia but have read some poor reviews of her - food, shabby, no "Wow" factor.

Can someone convince me she is as good as the other two.

Or should I go with Cunard Queen Elizabeth?

someone has just got back from a trip on Arcadia & says the food was a lot better than when they were on earlier in the year .... just off to see if I can find the post again....

... got it

it (currently) post 68 (page4) on 'anyone tried the new p&O menus ( thread link http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1444001)

post link : http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30075154&postcount=68

As Arcadia and the 2 new Queens are the same basic ship, the question was once asked what were the great differences are.....from what I remember, it was the attention to detail, but higher prices on Cunard; the Queens are advertised as being a superior cruise line, whereas P&O is a middle of the range line.

Cunard is run under American lines ie daily gratuities; 15% on bar sales etc; P&O has suggested tips and lower prices in the bars.

I have not been on either, but would like to, if only to see how different 2 identical ships can be

Jo.

I have to go back 10 years but sailed on all 3 Arcadia Aurora Oriana we had suite with butler service on all 3 thats when I had a bit of the folding stuff, we found all 3 ships very good, Arcadia had much bigger cabins, Aurora we took our two grand children on for free, and Oriana we liked the best.

Archived