What About An OLD and SOLO Cruiser?

Sprucetree

Thank you for your kind words.....

I hope your friends reads what you are going to put on her desk and then books a cruise right away!!!!

I tell everyone that cruising is the smartest and most convenient way to travel solo....

The best part about it is that you are in a protected bubble floating from port to port.....

The staff makes sure your every need or whim is fufilled and over the week of the cruise you get to know so many people and they look out for you on the ship and in the ports......

Passengers on ships are 100% more friendly than people who are just staying in plain hotels....... I never make friends in hotels pre-cruise....because in hotels everyone is on a different trajectory and they are not going to be sharing your shedule...some are about to check out, some just checked in some are in the middle of their stay....

On a ship you have a captive audience....everyone is going to be on the ship for the duration of the cruise....so it makes sense for people to be personable and strike up a conversation about anything from dinner to excursions.....

I never have people in hotels ask me what I thought of dinner.. or what type of excursion I did that day or if I enjoyed the show? People in hotels barely even look up at each other when they pass in the halls....

The ship atmosphere practically forces people to get outside of their comfort zone and aknowledge other passengers......

Being alone is nothing to be ashamed of......it is a choice for many women these days and it is to be aplauded not criticized. The funny part about it is that it is the women who will criticize.....it is the women who have these ideas much more than the men....

Being alone doesn't mean you are not good enough....maybe it means you are too good??? Maybe it means you are smart.... Or that you won't settle.......

And for those who have lost the special person in their lives ....do you really want to exist in a world where you never go on vacation again??

I can't imagine sitting in my house waiting to die....... Cruising makes me want to live to 100 and beyond!!!!!

I am not married and I have never been married....I do not need to be "selected by a man" to be entitled to a vacation.......

By the way, none of the other travelers think that.....for those who think other people are looking down upon you, those thought are in your own mind.......

And even if someone thought that....so what? Are they paying your seapass account?

And smug people who think it could never happen to them? Divorce or death? Well it can and those are the people who are left completely paralyzed in fear when they are alone......its the closed minded people that can't survive!!!

Do you want to pander to the closed minded people? If someone does judge you because you are alone...who cares....it could happen to them and that is not the type of person you would want to associate with anyhow.......

The public has accepted solo travelers and cruisers...... for every ship with 2000 people on it there are 2 or 3 solo travelers and there are 2 or 3 poeplewho think its weird....the people who think it is weird are the people who depend on others to provide them enjoyment.....like a baby that needs a pacifier......

I guess I am a "self soother".......and I have been my entire life.......

I love your words......I've been married more than a quarter of a century, we loved to travel together. As my DH aged he would first state that he didn't like the smell of my hairspray, then it was my perfume [i changed them both], then he thought the hotel room or cabin was too cold [i would turn off the air], then the bed was too hard or too soft or the blankets were too thick or he needed more......Long story short I did all I could to make sure HE was comfortable.

He hated unloading the luggage out of the trunk, I learned to do it. He didn't like putting gas in the car, I learned to do it......Need I say more?

This year I traveled to visit our children in Oregon by myself; I loaded and unloaded the suitcase; I stopped in a gas station and filled the tank; I slept in a very cool hotel room; I wore my favorite perfum and sprayed my hair. Nobody complained and no one sulked! It was a wonderful trip.

I plan on taking my upcoming cruise with just me and my Working Dog. I have NEVER cruised without DH but with all the "shlepping" lessons down pat, I have no problem making friends, reading a good book and taking that embarkation picture with just Brenda and me!!! :p ;)

I love your words......I've been married more than a quarter of a century, we loved to travel together. As my DH aged he would first state that he didn't like the smell of my hairspray, then it was my perfume [i changed them both], then he thought the hotel room or cabin was too cold [i would turn off the air], then the bed was too hard or too soft or the blankets were too thick or he needed more......Long story short I did all I could to make sure HE was comfortable.

He hated unloading the luggage out of the trunk, I learned to do it. He didn't like putting gas in the car, I learned to do it......Need I say more?

This year I traveled to visit our children in Oregon by myself; I loaded and unloaded the suitcase; I stopped in a gas station and filled the tank; I slept in a very cool hotel room; I wore my favorite perfum and sprayed my hair. Nobody complained and no one sulked! It was a wonderful trip.

I plan on taking my upcoming cruise with just me and my Working Dog. I have NEVER cruised without DH but with all the "shlepping" lessons down pat, I have no problem making friends, reading a good book and taking that embarkation picture with just Brenda and me!!! :p ;)

You are so inspiring tome Wizard of Roz........

I think you are incredible and exceptional because you are taking the bull by the horns and just doing for yourself ....just you and your service dog....

And if your dog is anything like mine.....never a complaint...never a sulk.....always a lick.....who needs men!!!

I remember when I first saw your post and you alluded to a working dog I thought to myself now that would be the perfect cruise.....

I have a 90 pound black lab....I kid around and call him "the tall dark and handsome man in my life!!!!!!" I would love to take him on a cruise....he would be so appreciative!!!!! Unlike my daughter who hates me for some undetermined reason......

I have posted in the past on other threads about traveling with my 22 year old daughter.

I have spent thousands of dollars for the perfect cruise with her only to be treated like complete garbage....... After a couple trips with someone who is as friendly and appreciative as a rattle snake....I figured going alone couldn't be much worse......

As moms. wives, and women in general most of us take on the responsibility for everyone's hapiness....especially when traveling..... It becomes a tremendous burden......I remember being on eggshells with my ex...and that was just in my home...not on a cruise......

If occaisionally sitting alone and having some peace is the price I have to pay to never feel like I am on egg shells or responsible for someone's unhappiness with every aspect of traveling (i.e. flight too long, not enough food on plane, room in hotel too small, view not good enough, cabin on ship too small, buffet closes too early, not enough elevators, not enough choices for dinner, rust on ship, dust ruffle around bed torn, no place to put luggage......) Then I will GLADLY PAY THE PRICE!!!!!!!

And although the 200% single supplement is terrible....there are options out there especially if you look on the thread dedicated to it and if we all support each other by posting good finds on there!!!!! The trickis to find the cheapest prices so that 200% doesn't seem too bad.... I like repositioning cruises.....for that purpose. And staying in an inside cabin is paradise to me......I don't even want a better cabin........I love what I have!!!!

You are so inspiring tome Wizard of Roz........

I think you are incredible and exceptional because you are taking the bull by the horns and just doing for yourself ....just you and your service dog....

And if your dog is anything like mine.....never a complaint...never a sulk.....always a lick.....who needs men!!!

I remember when I first saw your post and you alluded to a working dog I thought to myself now that would be the perfect cruise.....

I have a 90 pound black lab....I kid around and call him "the tall dark and handsome man in my life!!!!!!" I would love to take him on a cruise....he would be so appreciative!!!!! Unlike my daughter who hates me for some undetermined reason......

I have posted in the past on other threads about traveling with my 22 year old daughter.

I have spent thousands of dollars for the perfect cruise with her only to be treated like complete garbage....... After a couple trips with someone who is as friendly and appreciative as a rattle snake....I figured going alone couldn't be much worse......

As moms. wives, and women in general most of us take on the responsibility for everyone's hapiness....especially when traveling..... It becomes a tremendous burden......I remember being on eggshells with my ex...and that was just in my home...not on a cruise......

If occaisionally sitting alone and having some peace is the price I have to pay to never feel like I am on egg shells or responsible for someone's unhappiness with every aspect of traveling (i.e. flight too long, not enough food on plane, room in hotel too small, view not good enough, cabin on ship too small, buffet closes too early, not enough elevators, not enough choices for dinner, rust on ship, dust ruffle around bed torn, no place to put luggage......) Then I will GLADLY PAY THE PRICE!!!!!!!

And although the 200% single supplement is terrible....there are options out there especially if you look on the thread dedicated to it and if we all support each other by posting good finds on there!!!!! The trickis to find the cheapest prices so that 200% doesn't seem too bad.... I like repositioning cruises.....for that purpose. And staying in an inside cabin is paradise to me......I don't even want a better cabin........I love what I have!!!!

Thanks for the support......we're a "Support Twosome" instead of a "Support Group!"

Enjoy your cruising, I know I will. :) ;)

I have enjoyed reading all your posts on this thread and I agree that I would have no problem doing a solo cruise, since the ones I have already been on with family, I have spent a good deal of those times by myself anyway. I have been checking on cruises to book my first solo, but, alas the ss demon is looming:rolleyes: I am hoping to find something within driving distance that won't be too bad within the next few months or so. Cruise lines sure don't give solo's any incentive with such high ss's do they? I certainly would expect to pay more than ppdo, but it also is a bit frustrating as well. Is that what they call a double edged sword? lol. Anyway, you ladies are awesome. Maybe I will see one of you on the decks sometime in the future :)

I believe that the "solo-woman" cruiser is most recognizable by the eminent and perennial smile on her lovely face! I guess this can be said for the lovely face of the "solo-man" as well!

Here's to them all! May the cruising experience be enjoyed by all who love the freedom of the open seas and the glorious aroma of the salt air!!

Thanks, everyone. I feel much more relaxed about my upcoming cruise. I have read, and re-read, and read again each one of yours posts.

Now I can move forward and obsess about my packing list, things to get done before the cruise, and what I plan to do onboard.

This is so exciting!

I have enjoyed reading all your posts on this thread and I agree that I would have no problem doing a solo cruise, since the ones I have already been on with family, I have spent a good deal of those times by myself anyway. I have been checking on cruises to book my first solo, but, alas the ss demon is looming:rolleyes: I am hoping to find something within driving distance that won't be too bad within the next few months or so. Cruise lines sure don't give solo's any incentive with such high ss's do they? I certainly would expect to pay more than ppdo, but it also is a bit frustrating as well. Is that what they call a double edged sword? lol. Anyway, you ladies are awesome. Maybe I will see one of you on the decks sometime in the future :)

If you stick within driving distance or a quick train you can save lots of money to off-set the single supplement.

The Carnival Miracle will be sailing out of NYC year round this year (trick with Carnival as you probably know is getting the early saver rate)

Celebrity has Summit to Bermuda - price wise I can usually beat carnival and NCL on Celebrity Summit...in my opinion they under price her itineraries. Shoulder season Summit is almost unbeatable.... so when prices are around 499 - 549 for inside the double single supplement is not so bad....and without flights and hotels it is almost unbeatable........

NCL Gem and Jewel have some outrageously low fares through the fall and early next year out of NYC........

When I see 499 on an inside and can double that and reach a pretty good fare I jump on it.......

Archived