Permission to travel over the border (Canada)

cruisincarly

We're going on a cruise to Alaska soon, and my parents are planning to take my son on an excursion that involves a train into Canada. My husband & I are going to write a letter that gives them permission to take our son across the border, but I was wondering if it was really necessary to get it notarized for just a short excursion. Anyone know the answer?

You may want to give them a letter giving them authority to make medical decisions in case there's an accident or allergy or something... but permission to leave the ship to enter Canada for an excursion?

Well... in a letter containing any medical directives, you could probably also just give permission for your child to travel with your parents... Like a travel consent letter... and as long as you can be contacted, they might not give them any problems IF they are even stopped by someone looking for permissions.

My son went with my parents to see Yosemite, the Crazy Horse monument, Mt Rushmore, etc, this summer... we gave them a travel consent letter with a medical directive (un-notarized) in case of emergency and his passport... He went with his paternal grandparents, so they all share the same last name... nobody even asked for it... but they were also not leaving the US.

A letter is a good idea, but not sure it has to be notarized. We live in Canada and whenever one of us is driving across the border with the kids (without the other parent), we always have a letter just in case. However, I've only been asked for it once (by US Customs) and the fact that it wasn't notarized was not an issue...

I'm a Canadian living in the States and have two kids. Anytime you cross the border with the child (even one parent without the other) you should have a letter stating the adult traveling has the parent's permission, where they're going, how long they will be gone, etc. I've never had mine notorized. Canada has become really strict about children traveling without both parents. When my parents take my kids to their house in Canada, my letter has a copy of my birth certificate and permanent residency card so they can see the relation between my maiden name (matching my parents) and married name (matching my kids). I'm probably a little overly cautious as I live 1,400 miles from the border and don't want my parents to have an issue.

You do not need a passport to travel by land into Canada. You do need one if you fly into either country, but not crossing by land. A birth certificate is sufficient.

You do not need a passport to travel by land into Canada. You do need one if you fly into either country, but not crossing by land. A birth certificate is sufficient.

Canada itself does not require a passport from a US citizen to enter by land. However, the US requires a passport book, passport card or Enhanced driver's license to re-enter the US. Therefore, if you don't have one of these, you will be denied entry to Canada. A BC alone will not allow entry.

Yes we do need a passport (in the US). ;) As rugrats said, we are US Citizens. I assure you, I cannot get back into the US without a passport. We travel into Canada every year to go to Niagara Falls -- our friends used to meet us there. Used to be our annual "mommy meeting" in Niagara Falls. When the changes went into effect - those living in the US (and who didn't want to purchase a passport) stopped coming to the group getaway. We talked about hosting it on the New York (US) side of the falls and having the Canadians drive over the border to the US. But the falls just aren't as nice from the US side. :)

It's funny because the Canadian agents barely look at us when we drive across but the US guys are already convinced we committed a federal crime when we try to get back in.

So I would BRING a letter. :D

We're going on a cruise to Alaska soon, and my parents are planning to take my son on an excursion that involves a train into Canada. My husband & I are going to write a letter that gives them permission to take our son across the border, but I was wondering if it was really necessary to get it notarized for just a short excursion. Anyone know the answer?

IF they are only taking the round trip train, where you only go a few feet into Canada and never step off the train, then you don't need a passport and likely don't need the letter either. If it is one of the longer train trips, or a bus/train combo, then you will need both the passport and the letter. Check the excursion listing to see if it says "Passport Required".

IF they are only taking the round trip train, where you only go a few feet into Canada and never step off the train, then you don't need a passport and likely don't need the letter either. If it is one of the longer train trips, or a bus/train combo, then you will need both the passport and the letter. Check the excursion listing to see if it says "Passport Required".

Good point! :D

The trip is "passport required." Our son has had a passport since he was 6 weeks, so it's not a problem (and we'd need it to get on the cruise anyway, seeing as it starts in Vancouver). We'll get the letter notarized just to be safe, I guess.

And include the medical authorization in it as well, of course!

Thanks for all your replies!

Archived