Volendam - Mar 11 - 20

Krazy Kruizers

Possibly...I am a Front Desk Supervisor and have spent most of my time on the Volendam including the 2002 Asia South Pacific Cruise. After that, I went to the Amsterdam for the 2003 Grand World Voyage and then back to the Volendam. I did a few months on the Zaandam in early 2004, but have otherwise been on the Volendam.

Thank you for your review, Krazy Kruisers.

I have a question. Why do you care so much where the ship docks? Why not just enjoy the ride, and make a call for transportation when you arrive? Did two days of worrying get you to your destination any sooner? I hope this doesn't sound rude, but it seemed like you could just sit back and wait until you arrive.

Beth

I'm not KK but I was on the Volendam 3/10-3/20. We had disembarkation ticket#29 and got off ~10:30am after a very early customs muster. At Port Everglades we docked ~2miles away from the area where we could get access to Taxis, Airport shuttles, etc. We had to load our luggage into a bus with an uncertain destination. No one (Red coat HAL Employees, bus drivers, Broward County Sheriff Dept officials...yes they were there too! Why? I never figured that out...just wanted to get out of there) were 100% sure where we were going. It was a huge mess! So many of the passengers were elderly and there were only a handfull of porters to assist them and no orderly method of boarding the buses. This situation got worse when we finally arrived to mysterious, hidden (we got lost too!) Pier 27 where we were informed by the staff there that we could not wait there and could not block their area with our luggage or sit in the few folding metal chairs they had there. I informed them that we just needed to get our bearings and figure out how we were going to get to our hotel. They again told me that I could not stay there and needed to wait out at the curb to which I informed them that I was in no mood to be treated this way and started gathering our bags. This area was not the main area where taxis and shuttles normally go to. It was the front door and parking lot for a shipping buisiness. No public phones, facilities, etc like where we originally boarded. Well...I saw a taxi dropping off an arriving passenger and ran over and requested a ride to the hotel and we were out of there.

This situation was absolutley 180 degrees from the wonderful experience we enjoyed on the cruise and I wonder why it was not better managed. A little communication form HAL or Port Everglades officials would have gone a long way and would have reduced 90% of the aggravation.

I think where the ship docks and where and how you are transported would be something you would care about should you face this situation... Might even make you a little upset and may make your day a less nice. I'll stop now because my flame thrower does not operate at less than 100% once it gets warmed up. Have a nice day.

Mark

Thank you for your review, Krazy Kruisers.

I have a question. Why do you care so much where the ship docks? Why not just enjoy the ride, and make a call for transportation when you arrive? Did two days of worrying get you to your destination any sooner? I hope this doesn't sound rude, but it seemed like you could just sit back and wait until you arrive.

Beth

DH gets easily upset - especially after the mess we got into in January when the Westerdam docked at pier 21 and there weren't any dispatchers there to send taxis in our direction. DH got into it with one of the sheriffs.

This thime I brought the cell phone with the intention of calling the Embassy Suites to pick us up. Could not do that at either pier 31 or 27 - just as Mark and MaryAnn reported.

One couple we talked to at the Embassy Suites were tired by the time they got there as the hotel had been fully booked the night before with pre-cruise passengers for Costa and RCI - so many of the rooms weren't ready. They were like us - trying to be considerate - got up early and got ready for immigration and customs. Plus if you wanted anything to eat, you had to be up early for that as not all passengers were in a suite and could enjoy the little that was in the Neptune Lounge. The rolls and juices were replaced only once.

I'm not KK

Mark

Perhaps you were unable to read my comments thoroughly. The OP started discussing and worrying about where the ship would dock BEFORE they arrived at Half Moon Cay, so I will repeat myself.

It sounds as if the disembarkation was handled poorly. Travel is all about the unknown, why stress over something two days away when you're in paradise?

Beth

Archived