Adventure Bound feedback from 2011?

capital6

OK, so I've just booked my family on a cruise for July 2012 and am now trying to sort through all the excursion possibilities. WOW! There is a lot to do in Alaska! Anyway, I think my family (husband, 8 & 10 year old kids) would like the Tracy Arm trip with Adventure Bound but I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has gone this season?

I've gone this season. I have to say the other two companies, I have gone to Tracy Arm with, one no longer in business, I do prefer over Adventure Bound. I found their food service disgusting, which reports now appear to have corrected this.

Their focus was not as lingering for wildlife as the others, which is of interest to me. More so, then the extended time sitting in front of the South Sawyer glacier.

My opinion only.

Wife and I flew down from Anchorage for a few days in Juneau and took the trip in late June. Although weather was it's normal rainy self (pretty typical in Juneau), we really enjoyed the trip. It was very long but the trip into Tracy Arm itself was fantastic.

We spent over an hour at the face of the glacier watching the harbor seals and waiting for calving action. Tracy Arm is quite different from what we have in southcentral Alaska (Prince William Sound and Kenai Fjords). Rock walls are quite impressive as you go into the fjord and the cliffs had lots of waterfall and wildflowers. We even spent some time watching breaching humpback whales.

You do have to buy your own food (hoagie roll sandwiches) but you might consider bringing some snacks as well.

Only real complaint is that the boat was quite full and seemed very crowded compared to trips we take up here. Still, a highly recommended trip.

• 1 month later...

I sailed with Adventure Bound about 2 weeks ago, had done several previous trips with them. Like the others this was a fabulous trip but like BQ stated the priorty is on glacier viewing. Personally I think this is one of the prettiest glaciers and I see far more calving action here than elsewhere. Lots of ice in the water and tons of seals nearby. I pack some beef jerky and chips/nuts for snacking as I know there is more than enough food for me once I return to the cruise ship :)

FYI on this cruise I visited Glacier Bay twice, College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier and did a PWS day cruise from Whittier, I enjoyed my trip with Adventure Bound right at the top of the list. Captain Steve does a great job and has one of the prettiest deckhands you will find in Stephanie. Emial me and I can send a link to some photos when I finish downloading them as I just got home Sat.

I sailed with Adventure Bound about 2 weeks ago, had done several previous trips with them. Like the others this was a fabulous trip but like BQ stated the priorty is on glacier viewing. Personally I think this is one of the prettiest glaciers and I see far more calving action here than elsewhere. Lots of ice in the water and tons of seals nearby. I pack some beef jerky and chips/nuts for snacking as I know there is more than enough food for me once I return to the cruise ship :)

FYI on this cruise I visited Glacier Bay twice, College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier and did a PWS day cruise from Whittier, I enjoyed my trip with Adventure Bound right at the top of the list. Captain Steve does a great job and has one of the prettiest deckhands you will find in Stephanie. Emial me and I can send a link to some photos when I finish downloading them as I just got home Sat.

Doug,

Your beautiful pictures that you posted previously convinced us that we should give Adventure Bound a try in June '12 --- have already talked with Winona (SP?). Was your current trip more spectacular than your last? Love glacier viewing and can't wait to see what this adventure holds.

Karen

Karen this years trip was a bit different with the weather but still pretty great. No one real big calving event but the glacier still looked spectacular in blue. Lots more ice in the water this time and tons of seals all around us. It is so diffrent being up close and personal with the ice and wildlife than being on the big cruise ship.

Had a shorter port time headed south but stopped by to visit the office staff. It was nice to put some faces to voices on the phone and I dropped off copies of some photos from last year.

Archived