Eurodam quad verandah question

Tink56

Do you experienced cruisers think that in the 4 person room you could fit a small child on the couch and then take the mattress down from the upper berth for another child to sleep on next to the couch? I will literally do anything not to have someone sleeping above me!! Thank you!

The veranda cabins have between 185 and 200 sq ft of total space inclunding the bathroom. The "sofa" is bot even love seat size.. sort of an over wide cheesey chair with a toadstool table.

I found it very small and with just 2 adults if felt cramped.. like you cant open the door to the bathroom if the closet is open! . The balcony is useless and tiny. So is the desk which ends up piled with things because of lack of space.

With 4 I would suggest either a top end suite or a J Inside cabin on the main deck...1/3 larger than the Veranda... and much more suited to 3 persons,

However, putting 4 in a cabin without bunk beds and and ordeal of space management is not something I would do... Get 2 inside cabins that

connect.

I have had both type cabins on the New Amsterdam a sistership, and would never book a veranda for 2 let alone 4;)

My wife, 2 DD and I have done a couple cruises in a verandah. The oldest loved being in the bunk. Assuming you can pull off the mattress on the pull down bed it wouldn't fit on the floor in a veranda. The sofa bed would accommodate 2 small kids, but only you know if your kids could cope with that arrangement - depends on the kids I imagine. If the small child is very small, say a small toddler, you might consider having a pack & Play crib delivered to the room but I can only see the larger insides as having enough floorspace to accommodate using the sofa bed AND a pack & play.

Not sure what your particular objection is to having someone sleeping above you, but you can ameliorate it somewhat by having the cabin steward set up the bed to have the pillows at the foot of the bed - leaving you with clear headroom.

• 6 years later...
Do you experienced cruisers think that in the 4 person room you could fit a small child on the couch and then take the mattress down from the upper berth for another child to sleep on next to the couch? I will literally do anything not to have someone sleeping above me!! Thank you!

What did you all end up doing? We have our first cruise on the Eurodam in July and am also worried about having that bed come down over my head. :o

Thanks for any info!

The bed over our head has been less of a bother than we anticipated. We just arranged it to push it back against the wall (perpendicular to the back wall) during the day (that way if anyone wanted a snooze, we could easily pull it down). It only came out when we were all going to bed and it didn't bother us at all. It's so cramped overall that we always take the table out to the balcony so we have a bit more room to move, but I am sure there is no room for the bunk mattress.

It's hard to tell from various photos, but is the upper bed over the SOFA or over the main bed? Does it vary? We're booked into a Verandah Quad. And do you feel super cramped? We have an 11-yr-old and an 8-yr-old who will be with us.

We've been in quads every time we've cruised on various HAL ships and the bed is always over the main bed. Our kids are older than yours and we've always done okay. I wouldn't want to spend 10+ days so squishy, but it's fine for a week. We just keep the cabin very organized and the verandah really helps with the space issue. It's a great family week all smooshed together like that.

We were a group of 4 on the Eurodam. We were going to pay about $900 to upgrade to a balcony, but we decided to stick to the interior. The J cabins on the bottom are very roomy and we didn't feel cramped at all. The only issue really was just having one bathroom, but luckily, Deck 1 has rarely used (and very clean) public restrooms conveniently just a few doors down from our room. Our TA just advised us that the balcony cabin was going to be a squeeze and even deterred us from an ocean-view as it is the same size as the balcony. Anyways, hope whatever you decide works for you!

The bunk was also over the top of my mother and I's head. She frequently bumped her head the entire week, but I never had issues ;).