New Canon D10

eggnoodle

I just got my d10 and had a quick question that I hope someone can answer.

The lens itself doesn't have a cover? One would think it has one just for protection. I have a canon 870IS and when it's turned off, the lens cover closes and protect the lens.

Even with the power off on the d10, the lens is expose to the elements. Is that a design flaw?

I just got my d10 and had a quick question that I hope someone can answer.

The lens itself doesn't have a cover? One would think it has one just for protection. I have a canon 870IS and when it's turned off, the lens cover closes and protect the lens.

Even with the power off on the d10, the lens is expose to the elements. Is that a design flaw?

Not necessarily a design "flaw" but it is it's design. The lense isn't flush with the front of the camera as you can see so even laying it front side down, you're not in danger of damaging the lense. It's meant to be used in tough environments so I'm thinking if it had a auto closure function you would be trapping all kinds of dirt, dust, seaweed :D and stuff like that. I've had no problems with abusing mine for about 3 years now. Put a little skateboard tape on it in a few places for a good grip and remember it will sink in the water without a float strap. Another thing, make sure you keep the lense clean when you're on land. Going from water to beach you can end up with water spots when it dries. Lastly, if you've been in the salt water, soak it for 1/2-1 hour in fresh water in your sink when you're done for the day to clean it up real good. Great camera, great choice.

Not necessarily a design "flaw" but it is it's design. The lense isn't flush with the front of the camera as you can see so even laying it front side down, you're not in danger of damaging the lense. It's meant to be used in tough environments so I'm thinking if it had a auto closure function you would be trapping all kinds of dirt, dust, seaweed :D and stuff like that. I've had no problems with abusing mine for about 3 years now. Put a little skateboard tape on it in a few places for a good grip and remember it will sink in the water without a float strap. Another thing, make sure you keep the lense clean when you're on land. Going from water to beach you can end up with water spots when it dries. Lastly, if you've been in the salt water, soak it for 1/2-1 hour in fresh water in your sink when you're done for the day to clean it up real good. Great camera, great choice.

I haven't used skateboard tape on mine, but I can vouch for everything else said here. Prior to getting the Canon, I had an Olympus with a lens cover that opened and closed. I had multiple problems with sand causing the lens cover to jam.

Thanks! I purchased the floating strap along with the camera. I'm excited to go out and start taking underwater photos!

Thanks! I purchased the floating strap along with the camera. I'm excited to go out and start taking underwater photos!

We use it when white water kayaking. Watched one of those nice yellow waterproof cases slide off a rock (open) into the river, poor kid jumped in with his DSLR in his hand, after the box. :eek: Took him three tries to find a silver point and shoot and a lens on the bottom. Looked at my D10, smiled, and kept filming.

If anything does go wrong with it, Canon is great at replacing it within your year waranty, too.

I've had mine now for about 2 or more years and mine D10 takes a beating! I have a 3 1/2 year old that loves to take pictures and needless to say, it gets dropped a lot. I've never had any problems and it has to be pretty darn sturdy for her to use every where. I love my canon d10

Archived