Binoculars up to snuff?

Tanless

I think I read some place that the NCL Pearl provides binoculars for guest use in some of the suites? If this is so, are they of decent quality and power for whale/mermaid watching ( in the ocean, not just around the pool)? Since I'm only bringing a carry-on, it would be one less thing to lug aboard.

Thanks for any useful insights or other comments in advance

I think I read some place that the NCL Pearl provides binoculars for guest use in some of the suites? If this is so, are they of decent quality and power for whale/mermaid watching ( in the ocean, not just around the pool)? Since I'm only bringing a carry-on, it would be one less thing to lug aboard.

I believe they are only provided to OS and above as we did not have them in the PH suite on the Gem in April but did have them in the OS last week. I am no expert on binoculars but they did seem to work pretty well with the exception of the "fogging" problem. If we saw something with our naked eye from the cabin and ran out to the deck with them to get a better look, the variance in temp from chilling cold a/c cabin to steamy Bermuda air and not allowing any time for them to acclimate to the change..... voila, fog. However, since your cruise is to Alaska I don't believe you will have this problem. ;)

A decent pair doesn't cost too much, unless your talking Artillery/Aircraft spotter grade glasses. I have a pair of those 10X60's(they were my Dad's, He was a 155 Howitzer battery Sgt. In the Korean war) but they needa tripod because they weigh about 11 pounds( heavier then DW's Professional DSLR camera set up!) You should be able ot get a Quality Pr. of Bushnell's (8x40) for less then 60 bux somewhere...;)

Bill(DrFootball)

("there are Pilots, then there are ARMY pilots…")

A decent pair doesn't cost too much, unless your talking Artillery/Aircraft spotter grade glasses. I have a pair of those 10X60's(they were my Dad's, He was a 155 Howitzer battery Sgt. In the Korean war) but they needa tripod because they weigh about 11 pounds( heavier then DW's Professional DSLR camera set up!) You should be able ot get a Quality Pr. of Bushnell's (8x40) for less then 60 bux somewhere...;)

Bill(DrFootball)

("there are Pilots, then there are ARMY pilots…")

DrFootball, as a proud recipient of the Order of Saint Barbara, I have a profound respect and special place in my heart for all artillerymen.

I could bring my spotter scope for my M82A1, but the issue is that space in my carry on is at a premium, the most I'm willing to allocate is maybe room for opera glasses. Speaking of tight packing spaces:

Space is so tight I'm getting a nice dress pants tattoo so I get in MDR.

Space is so tight I'm bringing only one shirt and some Rit dye.

Space is so tight I'm having to bring a rubber egg instead of my rubber chicken.

Space is so tight ......

DrFootball, as a proud recipient of the Order of Saint Barbara, I have a profound respect and special place in my heart for all artillerymen.

I could bring my spotter scope for my M82A1, but the issue is that space in my carry on is at a premium, the most I'm willing to allocate is maybe room for opera glasses. Speaking of tight packing spaces:

Space is so tight I'm getting a nice dress pants tattoo so I get in MDR.

Space is so tight I'm bringing only one shirt and some Rit dye.

Space is so tight I'm having to bring a rubber egg instead of my rubber chicken.

Space is so tight ......

Outstanding Tanless! G-D bless and many thanks for your service as well...

A Barnett huh....that's heavy Arty in itself!

Nice job with the one liners as well...:)

Bill(DrFootball)

("All of my heroes wear uniforms. Some even wear flight suits...")

Not in the Penthouse suite we were in last July.

If you're doing Alaska in the Pearl, a pair of binoculars is a worthwhile investment.

I believe they are only provided to OS and above as we did not have them in the PH suite on the Gem in April but did have them in the OS last week. I am no expert on binoculars but they did seem to work pretty well with the exception of the "fogging" problem. If we saw something with our naked eye from the cabin and ran out to the deck with them to get a better look, the variance in temp from chilling cold a/c cabin to steamy Bermuda air and not allowing any time for them to acclimate to the change..... voila, fog. However, since your cruise is to Alaska I don't believe you will have this problem. ;)

Fogging is a big problem with camera lenses too. I've found I have to bring my camera out onto the balcony at least fifteen minutes before I want to use it, sometimes more.

That makes the spontaneous snapshot hard to get...you can usually get one picture taken in the few seconds after you first walk out of the air conditioning...then it's nothing until the lens & camera body heat up to the outside temperature!

I want to know how you can go on a cruise with just a carry on.

Have done it twice now, once NCL and once CCL (plus packing a dress for a beach wedding--thank goodness flip flops went with it!)

Its not hard at all, just be creative when putting together outfits, matching matching, matching and don't lug around a lot of shoes, one pair on, one pair for beach/pool/shower and one pair that might look a bit dressier or sandals.

Archived