DIY or Book Tours-MED

somogirl

Just got off the Ruby with DH, DDs (15). We are DIY by nature and had a GREAT time BUT, and you must plan ahead for some of these itineraries.

I researched everything from how many ships were in port to the weather expected that day to the physical abilities to get to the locations.

We did do 2 Princess DIY cruises in Athens and Istanbul. In Athens, we were cruising right after the previous trip did not stop in Athens and there still was a taxi strike going on. The Captain kept us informed the entire time about the taxi situation so it allowed us at the last minute to book the transportation only option. The bus took us to the Plaka and from there we went to the Acropolis, the New Acropolis Museum and the Plaka area. Perfect day. As for Istanbul, we took the Princess option of Blue Mosque and the Haga Sophia. The group then went on to Grand Bazaar. We left the group then and toured the Topkapi Palace and walked over to the Grand Bazaar ourselves. We still had 1 1/2 in the Bazaar for shopping.

As for the other stops, we did everything DIY. I booked the Coloseum and the Vatican online before we left for our Rome stop, I booked the Academia so we could see the David in Florence and booked the Doge's Palace Secret Tour and St Marks Cathedral in Venice. These were critical to us seeing what we wanted and it worked perfectly! Most people we spoke to that tried to DIY without planning ahead were very disappointed as they could not get into things.

I researched train schedules as well. At certain stops we met up with people on the ship disembarking the same time as us and we shared cabs and walking directions. Our fellow cruisers were the best!

I highly concur with the previous postings about Rick Steve's book. It was an invaluable resource.

We cruised the Western Med. a couple of years ago. Used Romeinlimo for Florence and Sorrento (by way of Naples). We used Rome Cabs for Rome. Stefano, who is the owner of Rome Cabs, was our guide. He was wonderful! We booked the tours on line, and it was easy and painless. They have vans that can accommodate 10 or 12 people which makes the price affordable. We coordinated with others through our CC roll call. I highly recommend both companies. There was never a problem with getting back to the ship on time. They have been in business for a long time, and it's important to them and their reputation to make it work.

I feel it has alot to do with your COMFORT ZONE.

As posted above, if you like to research what there is to do and how to do it and feel comfortable doing it on your own....... go for DIY. One tip is to always have a Plan B. Also head to the furthest point and work your way back to the ship as the day progresses.

If you still like to research what there is to do but want to be taken care of - hire a private tour. They will pamper you and cater to your wishes.

If you like to feel totally secure and don't mind a big bus with 50 other people on it.....do a ships tour. You will not see as much in the same amount of time as the 2 above. There are many who feel if they miss the ship the world will stop turning. That said, most of the reputable tour operators know this would mean death for their business......they know what they are doing and 99.99999% of the time get you back on time.

** And as a side note: while on a ship tour in Provence France, we left a young woman traveling alone because the tour guides miscounted heads on the bus :eek: Imagine how she felt when she realized the bus left her. And - the bus actually left 10 minutes early since they thought they had everyone onboard EVEN AFTER I TOLD THEM SHE WAS NOT ON THE BUS !

I also feel you can't lump them all together especially in Europe ...... one port may be much more DIY friendly than another. Some ports are a long way from the good things to see...... and so on.

You have to look at each port, research and then decide where your COMFORT ZONE is.

• 2 weeks later...
We used Rick for his walking tours in Athens. We were up at the Acropolis by 0800 and done before the ship's tours even showed up....when it was 105'.

His walking tour of Dubrovnik saved us $$$$ which was well-spent elsewhere! A little homework makes for a far more pleasant visit and you can learn a bit more in the process!!

msk1

Thank you for the review of his tours. I have the book and it is helpful to hear of your experience!

We are really enjoying the posts in this topic. After nearly forty years of extensive international travel (including more then 2 years on cruise ships) we very seldom book any tour (anywhere) unless it does something we cannot possibly do on our own (this is rare). However, we have met many folks that are uncomfortable doing things on their own for many reasons and we do respect the right of everyone to make their own decision. But for us, a group tour is like being on a cattle drive (the leader often has a little sign as opposed to a cowbell). There are sometimes we must accept being part of the herd (like our recent visit to Murmansk) but most of the time we prefer being by ourselves, doing what we want, when we want, with whom we want.

Hank

While I have absolutely nothing against DIY, on our recent Med trip we used private tours at the majority of the places we went. The reason is that most of us may never get to those places again. We had 4 teens with us that were not so keen on ruins and a private tour brought it alive for them and kept their interest. Without those private guides no one would have gotten as much from the experience.

We did the Forum on our own using the download of Rick Steves tour. We kept the teens interest for about 3 sites. Now my 2 are wanting to go back to Rome, and to the forum and palatine hill with a Rome in Limo guide so they can get the most of it.

You have to decide what's best for your group. For some that may be doing on your own and saving money. For others, it may be better to spring for the private tours. Just be sure to consider the whole picture.

• 1 month later...
Private tours usually will cost less than a ship's tour, but will sometimes cost more.

I have been on private tours with from four to 28 people. The advantage is that you will usually see more than if taking the equivalent Princess tour. The good guides will have you at the sights at times the various cruise ship busses are not there. You also will not go to any shopping stop that you do not want to.

One advantage of some Princess tours is that they can sometimes go to museums or some other places that are closed to the general public that day. As an example, on a cruise of the Greek Islands, many people said they would take a ferry from Mykonos to the Island of Delos and visit Delos for much less cost that the Princess tour. It turned out that day was the day of the week the island is closed for the general public and only the Princess tour was able to go there. Those expecting to do Delos on their own were then mad at Princess for not telling them before the cruise they would not be able to go to Delos unless they signed up for the now full Princess tour. So, if you are planning a private tour, be sure in advance that the places you want to see are open when you want to see them.

Hi,

If an arcaiological area is open for a cruise ship,(Monday) is open for everybody...is impossible to be private an archaiological area, that against the greek law.You had to call the tourist police. I dont know what happends there, maybe something else and probably was missunderstanding.

Hi,

If an arcaiological area is open for a cruise ship,(Monday) is open for everybody...is impossible to be private an archaiological area, that against the greek law.You had to call the tourist police. I dont know what happends there, maybe something else and probably was missunderstanding.

The archaiologicals sites BELONGS to the people NOT to the cruises ships.

Something is wrong to your post.

Archived