Great Stirrup Cay - Snorkeling equipment?

lacrosse fan

We were just there last weekend. We agree with the previous poster that there is a good, uncrowded snorkeling spot in a little cove to the left of the main beach (as you are standing on the beach facing the ocean). The best snorkeling, however, is between the rocks at the far end of the island near the main beach (to the far right as you are on the beach). You have to walk over some sharp rocks and then the water can be choppy out there, but my husband and others saw some amazing fish there, and a local woman who works for NCL and lives on the island told me that's the best spot. We ended up renting the full snorkel gear ($30) - two sets - because we had only brought two masks and had 4 people who wanted to snorkel. Will definitely bring our own equipment next time! We did not see anyone enforcing a vest-wearing policy. Fins and vest only is $15.00 (kids $10.00). The island was not full when we were there (just our ship) and we felt perfectly safe leaving our belongings on the beach unattended at several locations.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Okay - I did a quick mark-up to the GSC map. The good snorkeling is shaded in red. Again, it's in front of the private cabanas and off to the left. PM or post here if you need more info.

greatstirrupcaylinkmap_zpsa1ff52f3.jpg

Hey mikeyd, you don't still happen to have that pic of that GSC map around somewhere do you? The passage of time has transformed the original into a file not found kitten. I do like kittens, but the map would be more useful! :p

This may be a silly question but is there any issue with the cleanliness of the snorkel equipment. My daughter has her own but I was thinking of doing the rental to go float around in the water with her. I'm not a germophone but want to make sure the things are cleaned between use.

• 1 month later...

Yes I'd sure like that m also.

We always just leave our stuff on the beach when we snorkel or go in the water. But we don't bring valuables. If it's a camera or a phone, maybe ask the people next to you? Or tip a bartender to watch it... If there's a beach bar.

• 1 month later...

I truly appreciate all the comments regarding buying/bringing gear, but I live in VT and really only snorkel once a year so the DH and I will most likely rent gear.

If we do, is there a time limit or do you have it for the whole day?

Is there anything else at GSC that is a "must do/must see"?

thanks!