Secrets to getting best value for your accomodations in Oz?

Sydney has lots of 5 star hotels and plenty of taxis, also the port is right in the heart of the city a very short taxi ride away. I would recheck how much you can book a hotel yourself for...you may be surprised. There are also plenty of short stay apartments in Sydney for a few days they often work out cheaper than a hotel.

Sue

If you are looking at staying in Sydney during December the further in advance you book the hotel accommodation the better the price.

December is a very busy time in Sydney for hotels, and closer to the date the prices go up.

Another hotel that I found that had good rates in advance was the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay.

Try looking also at http://www.wotif.com

If you are looking at staying in Sydney during December the further in advance you book the hotel accommodation the better the price.

December is a very busy time in Sydney for hotels, and closer to the date the prices go up.

Another hotel that I found that had good rates in advance was the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay.

Try looking also at www.wotif.com

i can vouch for the Sir Stamford. Great location and a very nice hotel.

We ended up going with the cruise line's hotel in Sydney the 3 days before and 1 day after because they had a better rate than what we could get calling on our own. It is a 5 star hotel and we got the transfers with it too, so that was great.

I'm curious about the rate you got. For us the cruiseline rate is much more than the rate I could book on my own.

We'll be in Sydney for 2 nights pre-cruise....March 22 and 23rd, 2012. RCI's rate for the Sheraton on the Park is $448.66 per person for a total of $897.32 US for 2 nights. At today's rate I can book the same hotel online for 580 AU = $619.00 US for 2 nights.

RCI's rate for the Sheraton on the Park is $448.66 per person for a total of $897.32 US for 2 nights. At today's rate I can book the same hotel online for 580 AU = $619.00 US for 2 nights.

That's serious money. The second rate is far more realistic.

That's serious money. The second rate is far more realistic.

How about $970.44 for the Four Seasons and $1209.44 for Shangri La? They were the other hotels offered by RCI. I can book Four Seasons for $660 and Shangri La for $894.38. I know RCI's rates include transfers but c'mon...............:confused:

Thanks for watching out for me on the room charges. I just got the new invoice from my travel agent and the charge was for each of us, so I called and had her cancel the reservation. We will look for new hotels that we book ourselves, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

Hmm,

When we travel to different places within Aust, we never pay $150 plus, unless it is for a special night out.

The prices within the capital cities will be super high, but once you get out a bit, there are usually cheaper places around.

If you are heading here in a non school holiday period, then you would be fairly safe to just decide where to stay when you arrive in a town, drive by, wander in and ask. Two people can usually find a room and you can ask to see them before you book.

If you are staying in motels, I would say you would often be up for about the $100 mark though.

December can be tricky though.

You can pick up RACV guides here that will give you a run down on all the accommodation in a town, from motels to caravans. A lot of similar information is available online.

Have you considered an on site van?

These can often be clean, with all the facilities you need, such as a bathroom, kitchenette, TV. You may pay a little extra for linen, but for two people, the price would be na lot cheaper than a motel.

I have usually found the campervan sites are better than some motels in that they have excellent BBQ facilities, good laundries, recreation, you get to meet more people too.

If you decide where you would like to stay, you can book onsite vans in advance, too.

I live in Canberra and travel up to Sydney frequently...I have never paid more than $200 for a four or five star hotel per night..thats per room not per person. There are plenty to choose from. I must say that is using a last minute booking site which may not suit your plans. Check out the Amora...located right in the city centre you can walk to everything..the Sofitel is good too.

Sue

Thanks for watching out for me on the room charges. I just got the new invoice from my travel agent and the charge was for each of us, so I called and had her cancel the reservation. We will look for new hotels that we book ourselves, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

You're welcome. RCI's quotes can be a bit misleading. I hope you find a great hotel.....at a reasonable price.

I'll continue to check pricing for our Sydney pre-cruise stay and hope that pricing comes down closer to our arrival date...March 22.

Thanks again to all the Aussies for your links/hints. We're really looking forward to our first trip down under. :)

Archived