How does RCI compare NCL ??

We are planning an Alaskan cruise and were wondering whether which cruise line we should book on. This being a RCI board i expect alot of support for them, but I have heard alot of good things from NCL in terms of freestyle dining.

If anyone has sailed on both lines, and could compare it would greatly help. Thanks alot...

Jeff Tobais

I have sailed both lines. People have different opinions.

I love being able to eat in the dining room when I want to & I am not a big fan of singing waiters. Other than that, I thought the 2 lines were similar. I give a slight edge to RCI on the food & the overall granduer of the ships themselves.

We are planning an Alaskan cruise and were wondering whether which cruise line we should book on. This being a RCI board i expect alot of support for them, but I have heard alot of good things from NCL in terms of freestyle dining.

If anyone has sailed on both lines, and could compare it would greatly help. Thanks alot...

Jeff Tobais

We've done many Caribbean cruises on NCL and RCI but never an Alaskan one.

We believe RCI has bigger and newer ships but NCL has better food and entertainment. You either like Freestyle Dining or you don't.

There's really not much difference between the lines.

We've done many Caribbean cruises on NCL and RCI but never an Alaskan one.

We believe RCI has bigger and newer ships but NCL has better food and entertainment. You either like Freestyle Dining or you don't.

There's really not much difference between the lines.

Thanks guys...

Bigger isn't always better though. From what I have heard people have liked the activities provided on both lines about the same. I am leaning towards NCL because of the food and freestyle options.

I have cruised both and am back with RCCI for this next cruise. Heres a link to my review of our first experience on NCL Dawn review . I dont think freestyle dining is our thing but we were with a big group. The review is a good comparison between the two.

I have done both. The newer NCL ships are much like the newer RCI ships. Big difference is freestyle- both dining and disembarkation. ON NCL the rooms are ready right away when you get on and you stay in your room until you color is called...much nicer. That being said I enjoyed RCI as well. So if the itineries are the similar and the price is the same...I would choose NCL freestyle is much more civilized and NO FORMAL NIGHTS.

PS I hate buffets- so don't tell me I can always go to the buffet on formal night...

Well I think every cruise is a little different and we can only go by our own opinion and likings. So this post is subjective and just my opinion.

I´ve been on several RCCL cruises and on one NCL on the Dawn.

Ships:

The Dawn as one of the newest ships is no that much different from RCCL. However I had some issues why I would rate RCCL better. I missed the glass that gives you a view of the Ocean everywhere on RCCL ships. (Would be important to me for Alaska) I found the cabins to be much smaller comparing similar categories. (High end balcony but not Suite). Not very easy to get around on the ship. (I don´t like it when a deck can´t be walked to the full length, so you have to go i.E. one deck up or down to proceed to the back and then again one deck up or down to reach the spot you want to go to. )

Dining:

First I have to say I hated Freestyle Dining!!! I like the traditional better. With Freestyle there was always a line to enter the dining room and I had to wait up to 45 min. in line. Sometimes there have even been waiting time up to 1.5 hours, but then I choose to not wait and try another restaurant or time. (Wasn´t better at the other restaurant). Dining room service was far from good with freestyle. None of the waiters get to know your preferances. They know they´ll get their tip at the end regardless how they wait on you. But to defend them I have to say I don´t blame them for this. They have no chance to any better. Their tables are not filled up twice / evening but maybe five or even more times. They have to rush you through dinner to empty the table again as there is still a long line outside the Dining room and these people are waiting to sit at your table.

Food Quality was comparable in my eyes.

Dress Code:

Although it is called Freestyle Dining and there was only one formal night I would rate the overall Dress code as more formal than on RCCL. So just to tell you there is still a formal night even with freestyle. I don´t think they will turn you away at the restaurant door but I don´t think they would on RCCL either(although I think they should).

During the other nights they have strict rules about dress code like no shorts, no tank tops, no jeans etc. and this is strictly enforced and there are huge signs at the restaurant doors.

Entertainment:

I like the Entertainment on RCCL much better.

This all may sound like I had no good time on NCL. This is not true. It was still a great cruise and I would do it again. However if there is the choice of going NCL or RCCL with comparable price and Itinerary. RCCL wins with several ship length.

Cruiseliner-I have been on both and much preferred The NCL Sun and the freestyle dining.In fact,the 3 BEST meals I ever had were on the Sun's gourmet French & Italian restaurants (then $15,now $20 I think)..great service,best escargots I've ever had including land restaurants in the French place called Le Bistro.Cabins were not small,they were fine-we had a standard balcony about 172 sq.ft.A word-only the NEW NCL ships you should try:NCL Dawn,Sun,Spirit,and the upcoming Jewel later this year.The others are older,smaller and cabins are petite....I also hate being told what to wear,when to eat,where to sit,etc.I LIKE OPTIONS........If there are no formal nights,for me so much the better.I live in South Florida where I must endure lots of heat and humidity from April to October and wear a tie,long sleeves,pants.etc and as a pharma rep,I'm outside alot in and out of medical offices sweating to death..the last thing I want to do is wear a suite and tie on my vacation,and be uncomfortable again...I like RCL,but I love freestyle and Princess does it as well.....

Thanks for your input...

I am just like you in that i also cannot stand buffets, and need a sit down dinner. Unfortunatly I would rather not dress up, which is why i believe freestyle to be the better choice for me.

Its for me too. :)

This was our first time traveling RCCL. We have traveled NCL. Our last trip on NCL was not a positive experience. We found the food, entertainment and staff wonderful on RCCL. You definetly will not STARVE between meals. There is plenty of options as far as food.

We took the NCL Dawn from NY in fall of 2003 and we took the RCCL Voyager last fall. Therefore as a direct comparison, in my opinion:

Summary

---------------

Quality of food: I liked RCL better; wife liked NCL better. Say a tie.

Service (dining and otherwise): Clear winner is RCCL. Service on the Dawn was spotty at best; at times downright terrible.

Children's program: Clear winner is RCCL. Don't even get me started on how terrible NCL's kids 'program' is. RCCL has more space for the kids and much more professional staff.

Entertainment: NCL was better. After dinner shows were fantastic on NCL. RCCL are pretty much mediocre.

Ship: Much more interesting things to do on RCCL. Apart from shows, where NCL was better, RCCL had ice skating rinks, rock climbing, miniture golf...

NCL devotes a lot of floor space to dining. RCL devotes it to diverse facilities. RCCL has a better ship design.

Overall experience: Well, we're booked on Voyager again, and would probably not consider NCL again. We may try Princess next year.

Freestyle

---------

As far as Freestyle dining. You either hate it or love it. There are more choices -- though not as much as the brochure makes it seem :) Three of the restaurants have virtually the same menu. So it is really just a choice of decor on those. A couple of the restaurants are extra fee (which I refuse to do on a cruise). One of the 'restaurants' is really just a snack bar, and has terrible service always. And there are wait times everywhere. We ate early wherever we went (since we had kids) and there was always a long wait to get in to the restaurant when we left.

As far as dress, I have seen people refused on the Dawn for inappropriate clothes, just as I have on the Voyager. There really isn't any difference so far as dress.

I've been on 6 or 7 RCCL cruises...several RSSC and two year ago, sailed on the NCL DAWN out of NYC. The ship was beautiful. The suite comfortable. The service terrific and the shows just great. But without a doubt, it wa the worst food I;ve ever experienced at sea. I'm no gourmet. But night after night the food in the main dining room, and in several of the other restaurants (for which I paid extra) was consistently bad. My daughter and I pretty much got through the week on the room service pizza.

I wouldn't cruise NCL again at any price.

Archived