Advice on Club Continental suite vs. Standard balcony?

ljk76

We are seriously considering booking the Journey next summer, Lisbon to Monacco. Is it worth paying the differential for the club continent Suite? It would be more than $2000 difference for both of us, but the regular balconies seem quite small to us, 175sf I believe. Unfortunately the travel agent tells us the book a balcony, get a suite promotion doesn't apply to this sailing.

Is there much difference in which suite you book, they all appear to be on deck 8? Thanks for the help! We are Celebrity regulars and are also considering a Solstice itinerary in the Med. As an alternative. Many of these cruises on X were deeply discounted this summer, was that less true on Azamara?

On our first AZ cruise, we had a standard balcony cabin and on second we upgraded to an S2 suite. The suites are much larger, have a much bigger bathroom and a tub rather than a shower. In my opinion it was worth the extra money but if I could't afford to pay the extra I would still travel on AZ in a standard balcony cabin.

The balconies are considerably wider too and we enjoyed being served breakfast there. The suites also come with the services of a butler. I thought 'what on earth will we do with a butler?' but ours was amazing, so much so that I wanted to take him home with me. Suite passengers also do not have to pay extra for either of the two speciality restaurants.

S2 suites are located nearer the front of the ship and S1 are mid-ship.

We have cruised with Celebrity many times but prefer the smaller ship and not having formal nights.

The crew on both Journey and Quest were excellent and we had far more interaction with them than crew on any previous X cruise.

Hi ljk

We first tried Azamara on the Panama Canal and were hooked. The Journey is a lovely ship and has that intimate boutique feeling that you cannot get on larger ships.

We have stayed in both the Club Veranda Stateroom and the Club Continent Suite. We have also been lucky enough to stay in a Club Ocean Suite.

The Veranda Staterooms are well appointed, nicely decorated and comfortable. The shower in the bathroom which has had some negative write-ups on Cruise Critic was not as bad as many people made out and we found it perfectly adequate. I would say that the Club Veranda Stateroom is a little smaller than some similar balcony cabins on other Cruise Lines. However there was a decent sized table and two chairs on the balcony so you could enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner in an intimate setting.

The Club Continent Suites are......... well, just lovely. Very spacious, fantastic closet, beautiful bathroom with tub and European shower fixture. The extra space is nice for entertaining. Also the balcony, although not any deeper than the veranda stateroom has the extra width so you have a chaise longue a table and two chairs. Of course the suite comes with all the perks - real butler service (imagine a beautiful table setting with crisp linen and shining cutlery as you have breakfast on your balcony gliding through the Panama Canal), complimentary access to the thalassotherapy pool and relaxation area and complimentary dining in the Specialty restaurants. Lovely savouries everyday and elegant afternoon tea served in your stateroom. From my description, you can guess that we had a ball. On our upcoming cruise we have a Club Continent Suite.

Your choice will depend on your priorities. 2000$ is a lot of money. You could decide to spend it on Shore Excursions or other treats...... or put it toward your next Azamara cruise ;)

Whichever choice you make you will have a wonderful cruise.

Hope this helps

If you need any more information, just ask.

B&T

P.S. I was writing my post when Grandma Gilly posted her's. Apologies for repeating some items but you will notice that we come to the same conclusions.

Thank you both! Club Continent it is, we booked it today, and I'm so excited I'm nearly jumping out of my skin. A year to dream and plan, but we always find that's a great deal of the fun. We will be Celebrity elite by the time we take this Azamara cruise, so hopefully that will add a bit more as well. Never had butler service before, so that will be another new experience. Plus there are a lot of overnight ports, which we look forward to. I feel so lucky to have been on a fair number of cruises, and still find ways to kep raising the bar!

ljk76,

Glad to hear that you've booked and that you're happily looking forward to your cruise.

For anyone who is reading this thread and looking for advice on suites, I want to note that there's a bit of misinformation in one of the previous posts. The cabins forward on deck 8 are regular balcony cabins. The suites begin midships and continue to the back of the ship (aft). The midships suites are more desirable.

Hopefully this link will take you to the deck plan where you can see this laid out. http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/Plan-Your-Voyage/Ships/Deck-Plans

Club Continent it is, we booked it today......

Hi ljk

I'm so pleased for you. You are going to have a wonderful cruise.

As you say, part of the joy of a voyage is being able to look forward to it!

All the best

B&T

Ljk76

I am sure you will love your suite. We have booked one again on our next AZ cruise. Glad to have been of help and I hope you have a wonderful time.

Gill

PS. Sorry, I got the front and back confused, of course the S2 are at the back.

Thanks! I checked out the deck plans anyway when I booked, we have an S2 just 2 away from S1 territory, so at least I saved a tiny bit there!

We have stayed in both Suites and Veranda Rooms. No question that the Suites are more spacious and more comfortable and there are a few perks to go along with the Suites.

The only negative to the Suites is the location you select, the Suites are located below the Pool Deck and Grille, we were aware of noise above us, when the chairs were being moved around, that's also the area they have specialty BBQ's ect w/ live entertainment.

I just suggest you take a look at the Deck Plans and try to reserve the room furthest away from the Pool Deck above you. On the other hand the noise is just a Minor blip to some, but could be a Big blip to others.

At any rate you will enjoy the Azamara experience I can promise you that. We just (march) returned from Back to Back Asia Cruises and lov ed every moment (we stayed in a Veranda Room).:);):o:p

Archived