Dive Tipping Etiquette

Latitude 20

So how does everyone handle tipping on dive trips? Who gets tips and how much? In general we tip DM and boat captain $10-$20 each for the two of us (depending on the quality of service) but we've never really known if that's about right, too much or too little.

And how about when the DM and/or captain is the owner? We've heard you don't tip if that's the case and we didn't the last two times we dove with owner/operators. We kind of kept an eye on our fellow divers and didn't see them tip but they may have and we didn't see it. We're still not sure we aren't being thought of as cheapskates!

Kathi & Leo

We always tip - even if it's the owner as the DM or captain. Although we always hand the tip to the DM, I think it gets shared out among the crew. The norm for us is around $20 or higher, depending on service.

I've heard alot of people say just tip the boat $5 a tank. Of course there is different levels of service out there. If it's a boat where they do nothing more than drive the boat and anchor it then definately $5 a tank. ($10 for a two tank dive). If it is a good operation and they go out of their way to help you then I would up the price of a tip. Of course YMMV, but this is the usual scale that I also stick to.

Matt

I am a new diver (just did my open water cert in Jan). When we were just in St. Martin and St. Thomas we did shore dives. In St. Thomas we went with a shore dive and the dm was really great and it was just husband myself and one or two other people. I was having some problems because of a screwed up knee and the guy was really helpful. Gave him $30. In St. Martin we just went on 1 one and gave the dm $20. Would like to know if this is enough? Did not tip in Nassau at all as the service was deplorable. We got half our money back. Tipping did not seem reasonable.

So am I hearing $5 per tank/per person is a standard and it gets shared with the crew? (the quick math mind I am makes that to be $20 per couple for a 2 tank trip?) Wonderful question.

• 1 month later...

But I have a bit of a twist - would you tip more for a resort dive, since it requires a lot more work/attention? We're planning on doing two dives, and there's two of us...our total cost comes to $200, would a $30 tip (15%) be ok? We've also done SNUBA once and one other resort dive (I know, time to get certified!) so we're not as "needy" as first-timers might be.

Thansk for all the info, guys!

Trish

We've been diving for some time and I think you can't go wrong with the $5 per tank rule. Like anything else, when you get service above and beyond, a little extra $$$ is a great way to show your appreciation. I usually use smaller owner/operators because I typically get much more personalized service. I've posted a number of times about the advantages of finding good, reliable small owner/operators. I usually pack a new tee shirt or cap either from the cruise ship or Disney (I live in Orlando). If I am really impressed with the service, I give the dive guide the shirt as an extra tip above and beyond the $5 per tank. They always seem to appreciate it..especially in the islands.

I don't have a rule of thumb but what I do is tip $5 per person on the boat for the captain, crew, and DM. Depending on service. My most recent dives in Key Largo went like this:

1st trip - two tank dive Critter feed and wreck dive. We were assisted to the platform for giant stride entrys and helped aboard with the tanks removed prior to walking back to our seat. $20 for the Capt, crewman, and DM.

2nd trip - one tank dive at nite on wreck. Same assistance but only captain and crew member. No DM this trip. $20 since it was nite and we didn't get back until well after 10PM and they had to wash down the boat and refill tanks for morning dives. They were still there when all the divers had left.

3rd trip - two tank dive in deep water and finger reef area. Same assistance with only Captain and Crew Member. Again, no DM and it was the same Captain and Crew from the prior nite dive. $10

However, last year when I was diving in the lower keys, all the Captain and Crew (1 person) did was drive the boat and tie up to the mooring line. No assistance and very little information about the area we were diving in.

No tip.

I always tip and use the general guideline of 20 percent of the dive cost. So a $70 two tank boat dive means a $15 tip(I round up). $5 to the boat captain, and $10 to the dive master. If the dive cost more I tip more, just like eating out or tipping any other service person.

Jerry

I am signed up for a "resort dive" ~ not done through the ship. So what I am reading is that I shoud tip anywhere between 10% to 20% of the dive cost depending on the service. Do I hand the tip to one person or do I break it out between the boat members?

Tos--I think others have adopted your "t-shirt extra tip" policy. When we were diving with Alison (http://www.scubawithalison.com) in Cozumel this winter, Carlos, our captain was wearing a t-shirt with a map of Wisconsin (my home state) on it!

SCR--we leave a single tip if the boat has a tip jar and break it out if it doesn't.

Kathi

10% to 15% of the cost is ususally what I tip, but a lot depends on the boat staff and other variables, like did I have to borrow any equipment, did the boat have food or soda, did the staff set up my tanks, etc. The $5 per tank is a good rule of thumb also.

Archived