Your favorite place to eat in Cabo

terjul

We had the BEST guacamole at Pub de la Chapa. When you get off the tender, turn right at the end of the pier. Walk up a bit and it's on the little "street" on the left (if you go right you are in the water!).

th_IMG_0235.jpg

Pub de Chapeau has recently closed down.

These reviews of Cabo Wabo are directly from Trip Advisor...

Reviewed August 11, 2011

The waitress insisted and argued that we only gave her $10. My 27 year old daughter, 20 year old son and I saw how much my son gave her, $20. She took a long, long time to come back for our change. She even stop serving us. She called her waiter friend and argued with us some more. Then, they both stop serving us.

x.gifReviewed July 28, 2011

Do not under any circumstances do a group bill here! We ended up paying hundreds more dollars than we had actually spent as people kept "joining" our group who were not with us!

Reviewed February 13, 2011

I went to the washroom alone, big mistake,3 security guards claiming to be police grabbed my arms and tried to slam me against the wall. They claimed I had drugs on me and started searching my pockets.The only thing i had on me was money,and i soon realized they were the security a-holes that work there and were trying to take my wallet....I ended up pushing the big fat wanna be bouncer and was about to hit the greasy looking mouthpiece when luckily my wife came in and started yelling at them...she knew something was up when she saw them follow me into the restroom...I've read several of the same types of stories....stay away!!

Reviewed November 30, 2009

I just read the review from "getawaycalgary" and was amazed to see the exact experience I had at Cabo Wabo. I entered the restroom and was met by two mexican security guys upon exiting the stall. This is a very small restroom and it is very easy for one person to block your exit. They accused me of having drugs (which is laughable) and went through every single pocket and every item in my wallet. Fortunately, I had virtually no money with me and after about 20 minutes I was allowed to return to my group. We left immediately and will not return. I wondered what the heck would have prompted them to single me out because I am very ordinary looking middle-aged guy who doesn't look the part of a drug dealer. Now I know that this was not a random event and that it's happened to others. Thanks Calgary! Wish I would have read your review sooner.

There are several other reviews along these same lines, FYI. I don't know any of these people... I'm not a fear monger either... I'm just sharing the info I found.. we will NOT be visiting Cabo Wabo!! :eek::eek:

Edited by CupKayke

These reviews of Cabo Wabo are directly from Trip Advisor...

Reviewed August 11, 2011

The waitress insisted and argued that we only gave her $10. My 27 year old daughter, 20 year old son and I saw how much my son gave her, $20. She took a long, long time to come back for our change. She even stop serving us. She called her waiter friend and argued with us some more. Then, they both stop serving us.

x.gifReviewed July 28, 2011

Do not under any circumstances do a group bill here! We ended up paying hundreds more dollars than we had actually spent as people kept "joining" our group who were not with us!

Reviewed February 13, 2011

I went to the washroom alone, big mistake,3 security guards claiming to be police grabbed my arms and tried to slam me against the wall. They claimed I had drugs on me and started searching my pockets.The only thing i had on me was money,and i soon realized they were the security a-holes that work there and were trying to take my wallet....I ended up pushing the big fat wanna be bouncer and was about to hit the greasy looking mouthpiece when luckily my wife came in and started yelling at them...she knew something was up when she saw them follow me into the restroom...I've read several of the same types of stories....stay away!!

Reviewed November 30, 2009

I just read the review from "getawaycalgary" and was amazed to see the exact experience I had at Cabo Wabo. I entered the restroom and was met by two mexican security guys upon exiting the stall. This is a very small restroom and it is very easy for one person to block your exit. They accused me of having drugs (which is laughable) and went through every single pocket and every item in my wallet. Fortunately, I had virtually no money with me and after about 20 minutes I was allowed to return to my group. We left immediately and will not return. I wondered what the heck would have prompted them to single me out because I am very ordinary looking middle-aged guy who doesn't look the part of a drug dealer. Now I know that this was not a random event and that it's happened to others. Thanks Calgary! Wish I would have read your review sooner.

There are several other reviews along these same lines, FYI. I don't know any of these people... I'm not a fear monger either... I'm just sharing the info I found.. we will NOT be visiting Cabo Wabo!! :eek::eek:

All I can say is wow! We have never encountered anything near what they have stated here. My only complaint was that when the bill came, we were charged extra for each soda refill. We found it to be a clean, friendly place. The wait staff was always so nice and respectful. There were no guards there either. Yikes!!:(

All I can say is wow! We have never encountered anything near what they have stated here. My only complaint was that when the bill came, we were charged extra for each soda refill. We found it to be a clean, friendly place. The wait staff was always so nice and respectful. There were no guards there either. Yikes!!:(

Those reviews were all from the main cantina which is only open at night. We have been going there almost every year since they opened and have also never encountered anything like that but it is a totally different atmosphere there late at night and yes, there are bouncers and security guards.

Those reviews were all from the main cantina which is only open at night. We have been going there almost every year since they opened and have also never encountered anything like that but it is a totally different atmosphere there late at night and yes, there are bouncers and security guards.

It's a completely different experience during the day, very quiet and sedate, so if you really want to say you've been there, don't be afraid to go. The one and only time we went there at night, we were met by security who had the velvet rope pulled across, they stood there and stared at us for awhile (we're in our 50's so not too menacing). They finally parted the rope, we found a table, sat for 15 minutes, were never acknowledged by wait staff and left. We just wanted to see it at night and now that we have, been there, done that. There are so many great places to hang out in Cabo, it's not necessary to patronize the expensive ones.

Wow those descriptions of Cabo Wabo don't sound at all like the place where my family had lunch a couple of years ago. It was fun and friendly and the food was great, albeit expensive. We enjoyed it and are looking forward to making another visit next spring when we go back on our Carnival cruise. I would imagine it is a very different place in the evenings, and certainly not a place I would take the family. But as has been pointed out, during the day it seemed very safe and welcoming.

If you feel the need to go to Cabo Wabo... my advice?...go in, have a drink, then go out the back door, down the stairs to Taco Loco and Rip's bar. It's a great little courtyard with a dozen or so vendors selling all sorts of wonderous and neccessary nicnacs and such.

Taco Loco rates very high on our favorite place to eat (just barely lagging behind Gordo LeLe's, and Captain Tony's)

Have some great tacos at Taco Loco and take them three steps to Rip's Bar and watch the magic when you order Rainbow Shots.

Strollng back to the ship, cut through to the Marina, and stop at Captain Tony's for a cold Sol Beer, and the best "people watching" location (IMO) on the Marina!

If you feel the need to go to Cabo Wabo... my advice?...go in, have a drink, then go out the back door, down the stairs to Taco Loco and Rip's bar. It's a great little courtyard with a dozen or so vendors selling all sorts of wonderous and neccessary nicnacs and such.

Taco Loco rates very high on our favorite place to eat (just barely lagging behind Gordo LeLe's, and Captain Tony's)

Have some great tacos at Taco Loco and take them three steps to Rip's Bar and watch the magic when you order Rainbow Shots.

Strollng back to the ship, cut through to the Marina, and stop at Captain Tony's for a cold Sol Beer, and the best "people watching" location (IMO) on the Marina!

Good Advise, although, have you been to the new La Casa Country? It just opened in June and has a pretty nice people viewing bar. Captain Tony's has great food and great prices. The only thing I don't like it the hike upstairs to the only bathroom.

Wow those descriptions of Cabo Wabo don't sound at all like the place where my family had lunch a couple of years ago. It was fun and friendly and the food was great, albeit expensive. We enjoyed it and are looking forward to making another visit next spring when we go back on our Carnival cruise. I would imagine it is a very different place in the evenings, and certainly not a place I would take the family. But as has been pointed out, during the day it seemed very safe and welcoming.

It's not the same place. The cantina is closed during the day. You had lunch in the restaurant.

Good Advise, although, have you been to the new La Casa Country? It just opened in June and has a pretty nice people viewing bar. Captain Tony's has great food and great prices. The only thing I don't like it the hike upstairs to the only bathroom.

No, I've never been to La Casa Country. Where is it? (On the Marina, I hope?)

We were last at Captain Tony's in March while they were still remodeling. The bathrooms were still behind the pizza oven.

We'll be there again in late October, so will look for La Casa.

La Casa Country just opened in June. It is near the Mall on the Marina. If you know where the boat launch ramp is, it's on the mall side of the ramp.

And here's another vote for Solomon's Landing. Little pricey, but really good.

• 2 weeks later...
La Casa Country just opened in June. It is near the Mall on the Marina. If you know where the boat launch ramp is, it's on the mall side of the ramp.

And here's another vote for Solomon's Landing. Little pricey, but really good.

My wife and I ate at Solomon's in 2010, and were not impressed with the food, especially for what they charge. We took my stepson this January, and ate at The Shrimp factory. The food was out of this world. I had filet mignon and grilled shrimp. My wife had shrimp and pasta. My stepson had the lobster. Our check came to $45. We are going on the Spirit Oct. 30th, and will definitely stop there again.

• 4 weeks later...

We ate at Senor Frogs. It was a $65 (U.S.dollars) bill. We had 2 yard drinks ($16.50 each) and a combo platter with nachos, tacos, etc. It was so-so and not really worth the money but it was close... the drinks were good... and we were hot, tired & hungry.... so, for the convenience, it was worth it.

There is a place directly across from them that advertises $2 beers and etc. It looked packed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone visited these restaurants with someone who can't walk well? Is it safe/available to get to the restaurants by taxi? I had planned on staying on the ship one of the days we're in port, but maybe a lunch in Cabo would be nice, but I'm worried about getting to and from the ship.

Edited by travln1234

I hate to point at two of the big ones, but nothing beats the steak nachos at Cabo Wabo and the fresh made guacamole at the Giggling Marlin.

We have eaten at most of those mentioned in this thread, but for a day where you are either at the beach or hanging out in town, nothing beats finishing the day with a cold beer and mexican bar food standards like these before you get back on the ship.

Enjoy your day in Cabo.

Happy Cruising:D:D

Has anyone visited these restaurants with someone who can't walk well? Is it safe/available to get to the restaurants by taxi? I had planned on staying on the ship one of the days we're in port, but maybe a lunch in Cabo would be nice, but I'm worried about getting to and from the ship.

Cabo is very safe. Millions of tourists go there every year and actually stay there at the resorts. I think that cruisers often forget that the majority of the tourists are not on a cruise ship. Make sure to ask the price of the taxi before you get in. There are no meters. They work with "zones". The cheapest fare is $6 so even if you are just going a few blocks that is what the fare will be.

You actually wouldn't even need to take a taxi if you didn't want to. I'm not sure what cruise line you are on. I've only cruised Princess there for the past several years. They handle those with mobility issues very well. They handle the tender situation great and once you arrive at the dock in Cabo, the walkway along the marina is very even ground. There are so many restaurants along there that are really good. I like Solomon's Landing. But, if you really wanted to go over to Medano Beach, you can catch a taxi very easily close to Solomon's or any restaurant in that area. I will say, though, I traveled back in 2008 with a friend who wasn't that steady of a walker and she had a few issues walking on Medano Beach. I think for those with some mobility issues staying on the boardwalk by the marina or even going a block or two into the city is a much better option. There's plenty of really good restaurants and I am one who happens to love the marina view coupled with the view of Los Arcos.