Miramar Beach ~ Manzanillo

CupKayke

If the ship exchanges money I'm afraid it might be like airports and you'll get a horrible rate. I'd only use that as the last option. If you do it at your bank at home I'd go in now to see what the rules are. Sometimes they have a minimum to exchange but you'll get a better rate. Most people that come just withdraw money out of a local ATM. The ATM's give pretty good exchange rates. But you want to check with your bank to see what international ATM charges may be. My bank only charges $2-3 but I've heard some charge as much as $20.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to report back that we had a GREAT experience in Manzanillo! We stopped by the Manzanillo Tourism table at the end of the pier. The fellow there spoke excellent English, and gave us maps etc. He also told me I could expect to pay about 180 pesos for our cab ride. We found a cab driver who was willing to take us for that price (the first one or two said no, so I kept moving rather than dicker). He didn't speak a lot of English but understood enough. He and I had quite the conversation in Spanish on the way to Playa Miramar. I arranged for him to meet us again at the same spot in 3 hours, and he was very prompt. 4 hours would have been better, but we had roamed around the downtown plaza area awhile so we lost some beach time.

We had a wonderful day on the beach. Rented slingback chairs/umbrellas for the 4 of us for 100 pesos. Yes, I could have sat in the plastic ones but these were soooo relaxing! Our total bill for the day was $40. (480 pesos plus the tip)That got us:

1 bucket of beer (Coronas)- not 5 beers like Cabo but 10!!! :cool:

4 shrimp tacos

1 order chicken quesadillas (huge!)

1 order guacamole - a whole plate full, the 4 of us couldn't even finish it

1 order fresh chips and salsa (more like pico de gallo)

Tip!

I will also say that the vendor's prices were MUCH cheaper than Cabo, and the Artisan's Market was great. I got a fantastic painted plate and a matching dip bowl for $9, and 26 braided bracelets (for my students) for 100 pesos- about $7.50.

I would go back to Manzanillo again in a heartbeat!! Super soft sand, very warm water, and just enough waves to body surf. Amazing day. I'd pick this over Cabo any time.

Just wanted to report back that we had a GREAT experience in Manzanillo! We stopped by the Manzanillo Tourism table at the end of the pier. The fellow there spoke excellent English, and gave us maps etc. He also told me I could expect to pay about 180 pesos for our cab ride. We found a cab driver who was willing to take us for that price (the first one or two said no, so I kept moving rather than dicker). He didn't speak a lot of English but understood enough. He and I had quite the conversation in Spanish on the way to Playa Miramar. I arranged for him to meet us again at the same spot in 3 hours, and he was very prompt. 4 hours would have been better, but we had roamed around the downtown plaza area awhile so we lost some beach time.

We had a wonderful day on the beach. Rented slingback chairs/umbrellas for the 4 of us for 100 pesos. Yes, I could have sat in the plastic ones but these were soooo relaxing! Our total bill for the day was $40. (480 pesos plus the tip)That got us:

1 bucket of beer (Coronas)- not 5 beers like Cabo but 10!!! :cool:

4 shrimp tacos

1 order chicken quesadillas (huge!)

1 order guacamole - a whole plate full, the 4 of us couldn't even finish it

1 order fresh chips and salsa (more like pico de gallo)

Tip!

I will also say that the vendor's prices were MUCH cheaper than Cabo, and the Artisan's Market was great. I got a fantastic painted plate and a matching dip bowl for $9, and 26 braided bracelets (for my students) for 100 pesos- about $7.50.

I would go back to Manzanillo again in a heartbeat!! Super soft sand, very warm water, and just enough waves to body surf. Amazing day. I'd pick this over Cabo any time.

Hi, we will be in manzanillo and are looking at going to playa can you advise where about or what restaurant you ate at or if you have any photos to add to your post.

Thanks in advance

Tiffanie

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed Manzanillo. Many cruisers don't bother to leave the port area and then complain that Manzanillo is awful and why do ships stop here.

Tourism is way down and it is great to have the ships here to give these hard working people some business so I hope the good reviews continue.

Today we had the best fish tacos ever. We each had 2 tacos and the total was about $2 U.S. Went to happy hour at the Oasis Ocean Club. 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine. Approx. $7 U.S. including the tip. :)

And I agree, get some pesos, you should get about a 13-1 exchange rate, vendors will usually give you 10-1 on the beach. (but they will take US dollars)

Karen, how's the weather been lately? Are the water temps warm?

Our ship is in Manzanillo early, almost seems too early for a beach day. But that is what we want to do!

Thanks, CaliforniaMama, for the report! We are SO jazzed for this port!

It is "cold" in the morning, about 72, but it heats up to about 85 by noon. Yesterday was cloudy and 80 but it is clearing today.

Considering the weather in Green Bay is 4" of snow, sleet, rain and 20 degrees- I guess I will suffer through a few clouds. :)

Ocean temps are great- you can jump right in.

It is "cold" in the morning, about 72, but it heats up to about 85 by noon. Yesterday was cloudy and 80 but it is clearing today.

Considering the weather in Green Bay is 4" of snow, sleet, rain and 20 degrees- I guess I will suffer through a few clouds. :)

Ocean temps are great- you can jump right in.

Thanks, Karen!

We are really looking forward to being there.

Hi, we will be in manzanillo and are looking at going to playa can you advise where about or what restaurant you ate at or if you have any photos to add to your post.

Thanks in advance

Tiffanie

Okay let's try this:

IMG_8329.jpg

The restaurant the cabbie left us at

IMG_8304.jpg

Artisan's market is right next door- GREAT prices!!

manz11.jpg

Gorgeous beach

manz10.jpg

My kids loved the water- my son was in it the whole time we were there!

We adored Manzanillo, and would love to return. It felt like "real Mexico" to me. I grew up going to Baja (a long time ago) and this feels like how that was- authentic, friendly people, good value for your dollar, non-touristy.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise ... stepped out of the airport to SNOW! Very cruel on the system. Anyway ...

Something wrong happened with our cab driver when I asked him to take us to Miramar Beach. I'm not sure if this was a language problem? The first place he stopped was a beach with nothing ... no bars, no restaurants. He called this Miramar Beach. I told him we were looking for the beach bar La Palapa, but he didn't know it. So then he took us to another place, I suspect it was owned by a friend of his. It was certainly off the beaten path ... and they didn't understand what a bucket of beer was. The waiter brought out a six-pack still in the plastic holder. We asked him how should we keep this cold? He brought us a plastic sack with ice!

We had a lot of fun here ... the beach was quiet, the water was clear and warm with very gentle waves. We had a blast watching the birds dive for fish. And the food was very good: chips, guacamole, salsa, tacos.

I'm just not sure where we were. :confused: The moral to the story? Even if things don't quite work out the way planned, they can work out just fine. Our waiter was so anxious to please, even if he didn't understand exactly what we wanted. We had a beautiful beach day, even if it wasn't exactly where we thought we would be.

Archived