Traffic-Driving to Galveston

Kaki

We will be driving to Galveston for our 4th cruise. The drive through Houston to Galveston was bumper to bumper during each of the 3 times we drove - the time frame was between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturday.

What time could we plan our drive through Houston and into Galveston in order to miss most of the really bad bumper to bumper traffic?

I was thinking about trying to drive through Houston really late Friday night. How is the traffic then?

Or, how about really early Saturday morning?

I know that early Sunday morning when we get off the ship and drive north we are able to just breeze right on through Houston. We could just stay north of Galveston and drive in on Sunday morning, I just really like to spend some time in Galveston before we get on the ship.

Saturday afternoon traffic is not to bad, so what you saw was pretty good. The very best time for Houston-Galveston traffic is between midnight and 5 am. Sunday mornings are pretty good also, the exception to any of these is if there are special events in the area. Very late Friday night will probably be ok.

I think the key is to get on one of the outside loops that go all around downtown Houston. There are 2 of them as I recall. The outer one being the best.

Look at your map and get on the loop and head south until the turnoff at the southernmost exit to Galveston. Makes it pretty easy compared to going through the middle of Houston.

These are toll roads so stop and pay at the various booths. Well worth it however.

We will be driving to Galveston for our 4th cruise. The drive through Houston to Galveston was bumper to bumper during each of the 3 times we drove - the time frame was between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturday.

What time could we plan our drive through Houston and into Galveston in order to miss most of the really bad bumper to bumper traffic?

I was thinking about trying to drive through Houston really late Friday night. How is the traffic then?

Or, how about really early Saturday morning?

I know that early Sunday morning when we get off the ship and drive north we are able to just breeze right on through Houston. We could just stay north of Galveston and drive in on Sunday morning, I just really like to spend some time in Galveston before we get on the ship.

We live in Galveston!

And travel back and forth often!

We don't look forward to getting off the island.

We do not experience the delays you are speaking of.... unless there is accident or it is during rush hours.

Delays back then you experienced had to do with

1. Accidents

2. Morning or afternoon RUSH HOURS

3. Construction delays back then were a result of building a fly over at NASA Road One and widening of the freeway. That construction is complete.

FYI though!!!!!!!!!!

However another project is beginning.

Freeway lanes should be keep open though. !!

IT is to widen I45 to 10 lanes for a few miles at the above mentioned area outside of tollroad to El Dorado Blvd.

and improve frontage and access roads all along the freeway.

It will tear down and build on overpass at Dixie Road.

Deidrea Samuels, public information officer for the Transportation Department's Houston District says:

"It's minimum impact to the traveling public,"

I think the key is to get on one of the outside loops that go all around downtown Houston. There are 2 of them as I recall. The outer one being the best.

Look at your map and get on the loop and head south until the turnoff at the southernmost exit to Galveston. Makes it pretty easy compared to going through the middle of Houston.

These are toll roads so stop and pay at the various booths. Well worth it however.

We get on a loop as we come into Houston, totally bypasses downtown Houston. Way easier for us!:D

We get on a loop as we come into Houston, totally bypasses downtown Houston. Way easier for us!:D

Correct! Traffic has improved greatly.

Downtown is not the problem, unless it is rush hour or accident.

The construction of fly over at NASA Road One which is completed

and is outside of the inner city 610 Loop and outer Beltway 8 Toll Roads

and is not a problem at all anymore.

The constuction beginning now

is ALSO outside the 610 Loop and Beltway Toll Roads.

Work will be on the frontage and access roads all along the I 45 Gulf Freeway between the Beltway 8 Toll Road and almost to Nasa Road One.

The freeway will be widened to 10 lanes

and the main lanes on I45 should remain continueous open,

except conjecture maybe when a overpass is torn down and another built. And hopefully work not done on weekend.

Deidrea Samuels, public information officer for the Transportation Department's Houston District says:

"It's minimum impact to the traveling public,"

SEE MAPS:

galveston.com

Interact Discover

Maps and Transportation

Houston Map PDF

Download Houston-area map in PDF Format:

Houston Metro

Sounds like maybe all three years (2007, 2009, 2010) I just encountered one of those bad rush hour times or an accident.

Of course, I'm always getting in the wrong line at the grocery store too. lol

This time we will take the east loop around Houston and time our trip for driving late Friday night!

Thanks again for all the replies!!!!

Archived