Spice tour in Grenada ????????

travman106

Spice trees were destroyed in hurricane about 3 or so years ago. They are just now starting to come back. I don't know if the tour would be all that interesting until they are more mature and recovered from the damage.

I have to agree with this recommendation. Wife and I took this tour almost two years ago now and would second this suggestion. I don't know if there is anyone else in this "company" because we had Mandoo himself give our tour. We were supposed to have another couple in the small van but they did not show up so we ended up with a private tour. He is very knowledgeable about the island history, flora and fauna and he appears to have certain connections to get you into places without waiting for all those ship passengers. He DOES like to talk a lot you will likely also find.

If you do take the spice tour keep your eyes open and camera ready when you get to those trees that say: "Hey Mr. Taxi man Keep Away from my Spice Tree".......:)....apparently some take small samples for their passengers to check out.

We've always liked the tours by Mandoo. www.grenadatours.com/

The spice tour ( eastern ) is his most popular, we've done all 3 and a hike to Seven Sisters Falls. Great tour guide and comfortable bus.

I have to agree with this recommendation. Wife and I took this tour almost two years ago now and would second this suggestion. I don't know if there is anyone else in this "company" because we had Mandoo himself give our tour. We were supposed to have another couple in the small van but they did not show up so we ended up with a private tour. He is very knowledgeable about the island history, flora and fauna and he appears to have certain connections to get you into places without waiting for all those ship passengers. He DOES like to talk a lot you will likely also find.

If you do take the spice tour keep your eyes open and camera ready when you get to those trees that say: "Hey Mr. Taxi man Keep Away from my Spice Tree".......:)....apparently some take small samples for their passengers to check out.

Hey skiron, we have booked are are looking forward to it.

Did you take back any spice back to the ship?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We toured with Mandoo a couple years ago & in our 20 plus cruises, it was the worst tour we ever had. First, we booked a private tour for the six of us. He responded by email and we set it up as a private tour. When we got to Grenada, he "forgot" and had us get on a bus of 40, or more, people. He lectured us on his politics and religion the whole time. We found him to be rude and disrespectful. He kept asking for tips too.

We tried other tours since, but last year found Stan from JNJ Tours. He is an American Army vet and is incredible. We got a private tour, designed to exactly what we wanted. We went to several spice related places, sites, landmarks and a few surprise stops. It was so enjoyable, we booked him for next February to tour the east side of the island.

To each their own, we just were very, very, disappointed after all the reviews.

Interesting comment above, now maybe Mandoo has the ability of charter a larger bus but his own van holds 20 max. Also check out Trip Advisor of 21 reviews, 20 give him an excellent rating and one gives him a very good rating. I will say that he does express some political views but most relate to his island nation and are certainly not a lecture, its just a reflection of how passionate he is about is homeland.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g147296-d2097163-Reviews-or10-Mandoo_s_Tour_Taxi_Service-St_George_s_Saint_George_Parish_Grenada.html

Sorry Putterdude - his bus was definitely a very large bus. He may have rented it, but that is what we had. I guess when I am on vacation & want to see and learn about an island, I don't want to listen non-stop to someone preaching their political view - whether I agree or disagree. This is simply our impression. There were 6 of us, from 3 different States & we all felt the same way. People can make their chose, we would simply not recommend him, and certainly would never take a tour from him again.

Archived