What happens when we arrive at the terminal?

Catherine Janaway

In light of the fact we are allowed to take some drink with us I was thinking of adding another piece of 'disposable' hand luggage but am not sure about carrying it.

Could some very kind person explain to me what happens when we arrive on our coach at the terminal.

Do we check in the same as if we were at an airport?

Do they take our suitcases off us then?

When they call our number does this mean we can go straight to our cabin?

I don't want to carry 2 pieces of hand luggage around with me for a long time, neither will have wheels.

Thanks in anticipation. :)

In light of the fact we are allowed to take some drink with us I was thinking of adding another piece of 'disposable' hand luggage but am not sure about carrying it.

Could some very kind person explain to me what happens when we arrive on our coach at the terminal.

Do we check in the same as if we were at an airport?

Do they take our suitcases off us then?

When they call our number does this mean we can go straight to our cabin?

I don't want to carry 2 pieces of hand luggage around with me for a long time, neither will have wheels.

Thanks in anticipation. :)

It's slightly different depending on which terminal you depart from. Which one is it do you know?

Are you travelling with Eavesway? If so, your check-in luggage will be handed to the porters to go through the "hole in the wall" and be scanned before boarded. You will see it outside you cabin at some stage later that afternoon. Don't be concerned if you have already sailed by the time it arrives - there's a lot to deliver.

Cabins are ready from about 2pm. If you arrive in time for lunch, you will have to manage your hand luggage until then.

Thanks Gill, we are cruising from Ocean cruise terminal, I'm not sure what coach company we'll be travelling with, it's from Gatwick to Southampton arranged by P & O.

It may still be worth struggling with the bags for a few hours if the cabin isn't ready.

Decisions decisions!

It may still be worth struggling with the bags for a few hours if the cabin isn't ready.

I'd advise against that, especially if you're arriving early. You've no idea just how cumbersome it will be dragging suitcases around the restaurant or buffet, or the bars. Also, you'll have to have it all scanned as you go through security (airport-style scanning machines) where the assumption is that you've only got hand luggage. Then you've got to get it onto the ship, and the gangway up from the quayside to the ship can be steep (depending on the state of the tide), and after all that you've got to drag it around with you on board. I'd strongly advise leaving it with Eavesway/P&O to handle. The whole system is geared around that. Put a change of necessaries in your hand luggage. That first night on board is by far the most casual, for this very reason - a lot of people haven't had the chance to change by dinner-time.

Thanks Gill, we are cruising from Ocean cruise terminal, I'm not sure what coach company we'll be travelling with, it's from Gatwick to Southampton arranged by P & O.

Decisions decisions!

I'd assume your check-in luggage will still be handled by the coach driver/porters, so you just manage your hand luggage.

On entering the terminal you will be given a numbered card then you sit down. When your number is called you check-in - hand over your passport which is scanned, you fill out a medical form, have your picture taken for your cruise card and your CC swiped for payment. You sign your cruise card and off you go.

Next you and your hand luggage are scanned as at an airport and you walk a L O N G way along a snaking corridor and you're on board! If you arrive before 2pm, make your way to the buffet for lunch, if you arrive later, go straight to your cabin.

Muster is usally around 4pm and is compulsary. Other than that, just enjoy what is a truly fabulous ship.

When the coach arrives at the Ocean terminal the porters unload the luggage and it goes through the hole in the wall and next time you see it is in your cabin. When all the luggage has been unloaded the passengers are then allowed to get off. You then enter the terminal and are given a card with a letter, you then take a seat until your letter is called. When the letter is called you are checked in a bit like the airport, you then go through security, possibly having a photograph taken as the photographers are ready to grab you. Once through security you walk onto the ship via a winding covered walkway. If the cabins are not ready you are advised to wait in one of the lounges or go for a bite to eat. If you have a large amount of hand luggage you could go to your cabin and ask the steward if you can leave the hand luggage (bearing in mind the cabin door may be left open). Once it is announced the cabins are ready you just make your way to your cabin. We travel from the NW on the coach so by the time we arrive the cabins are usually ready.

Hope this helps.

You only need to wait if there is a sudden rush of passengers arriving at the same time as you. Once you all called to check in, handover your e-ticket, passports and your credit card is swiped to set up your account. You have your photo taken for security and issued with your cruise card. From then on you pass straight to the ships photographers for your embarkation photo, (you dont have to buy it) then through security - airport style scanners - and onto the ship. Lunch is served in the self service till 3pm and after that it changes to afternoon tea, so either way you can get get something to eat if you want.

You will find it much better than an airport check in

Brian

Catherine

Here is a photo -story album of approach and into Ocean Terminal which should help with you with familarising yourself with boarding.

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/NewOceanTerminalBerth46May09?authkey=Gv1sRgCMmwg_iQk5nJswE#5342423009479201858

I never have any hand luggage and nether does my husband, his suit carrier and all our cases go into the ship through the hole-in-the-wall - see photo, my wine box is in a case with my odds' and sods' -shoes, bags, binoculars, medicines and toiletries... I cannot see why anyone wanders around check in with a heavy suit carrier slung over their shoulders, or a hand luggage case - there is no need., all luggage is delivered to your cabin. I've used Ocean about 6 times since it was built in 2009, the photo album was created a month after it opened so people who were interested could see it in operation.

Your cabin number won't be called, but around 2pm a general 'cabins are ready' announcement will be made, you can then make your way to your cabin and unpack. After unpacking don't forget to book a supplement restaurant if you want to try one, and any hairdressers, or spa appointments.

Its so easy as said before.. luggage is taken off the coachs or if you arrive by car porters will appear and take it for you. Keep what you do want to take by hand on board. ( tip the porter)

If you do have hand luggage it can be worth it as sometimes cases are a while arriving in you cabin.. medicines / jewerly etc you may want to take on yourself. I like the trolly bag as I can use it on the last day for overnight items as your bags are taken ashore when you get back so you need a bag for those last bits and you collect your luggage ashore in the luggage hall.

When you have checked in .. you go through security.. its a pain if you have metal in your shoes .. you may have to take them off or belts etc so I try to make sure my shoes have a soft sole.. Bills walking shoes set off the alarms this time and he had to take them off ...

It all happens simply... and once you can access your cabin your bags could be there already if not they arrive shortly after wards..

Check the daily paper for the time of life boat drill .. as you need to be in the right place with your lifeboat jacket for that.

Straight afterwards you dash off to the Sailaway party out on the prom deck and see the band... wave to the shore as you depart... and get a glass of bubbly as you sail away..

When you have checked in .. you go through security.. its a pain if you have metal in your shoes .. you may have to take them off or belts etc so I try to make sure my shoes have a soft sole.. Bills walking shoes set off the alarms this time and he had to take them off ...

This goes for every port too. So make sure you don't wear a belt when you go ashore, or before you embark. Its a complete pain to have to take it off. I did see one woman have to take her shoes off before getting on Ventura.

My wife has a pair of shoes that sets the alarm off every time. Apparently they have some metal reinforcing on the bottom and many ladies shoes are like that. She now wears a pair that dont have metal for departure.

Brian

My wife has a pair of shoes that sets the alarm off every time. Apparently they have some metal reinforcing on the bottom and many ladies shoes are like that. She now wears a pair that dont have metal for departure.

Brian

I know how she feels Brian!

A few years ago I was travelling between Islands in Hawaii and was wearing a cotton skirt, vest and underwear - on my feet I had flip flop type shoes.

I wasn't wearing any jewellery or a belt, but the alarm kept activating - I couldn't imagine what was causing it - I took my shoes off and the alarm stopped, the guy there told me about the metal strip in shoes.

I tend to wear shoes that can easily be slipped on and off when going through metal detectors at airports now though as some places insist shoes go through on the belt.

My shoes often set them off... do you have a Dr's letter to cover this I know a neighbour has something to show he has a pace maker fitted so at airports etc he is exempt from being scanned..

i would ask you Dr or Practise Nurse...

they do have a hand scanner there so they may well see when they run it over your knees and it bleeps then clearly its you knees not a bomb :eek:

Cabins are ready from about 2pm. If you arrive in time for lunch, you will have to manage your hand luggage until then.

I have always taken the hand luggage straight to the cabin as soon as we get on board and dropped it off, rather than cart it all to lunch - never had any problem doing that.

I had both knees replaced last year and have not been through any security scan since but I have a feeling that they may ring alarm bells has anyone had any problems with this ?

I have metal work in my arm (the result of a broken ulna & radius) - I don't know how that equates with 2 knees :D - & am always anxious at security but the only place I set off the alarms was at Florence Airport (going out there from Gatwick was fine)

Recently I set the alarm off at Manchester airport, but that time I had a phone in my pocket (I'd not had time to do my normal patdown & move things to a bag, as there were no queues & I just forgot it was there:eek:) - all that happened is that I had to go through the full hand scan.

I always seem to get targetted for extra checks (shoes, handbag handle, hand luggage check) at airports anyway:rolleyes:

Never had a problem boarding the ships.:)

Archived