Sony A77 Unveiled

dileep

Your old memory is compact flash. The A77 uses SD cards. The 16GB class 10 included in most kits will work, but is likely an off-brand. Considering the file sizes produced by the A77, I would still highly recommend the Extreme Pros since even the older ones are 4x faster (45 mb/s) than class 10 cards. Class 10 has a minimum sustained write speed of 10 mb/s and the A77s top video rate streams at 28 mb/s.

Dave

What do you think about the following lens:

Sony/Minolta 35-70mm f4 Macro

How much would you pay and think it would be any good since it's an f4? I've never had a macro and I'm not sure what to look for.

I own an old 35-105 but never used this model.

Here are some reviews from over at Dyxum: http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/Minolta-AF-35-70-F4_review39.html

Dave

haha, I had just found that page and was reading it when you posted. It looks like people are getting them for around $35-$50. This guy here on craigslist has one for $80 OBO...so, I'm thinking not a good deal at all. A few on ebay for $39 as well. :rolleyes:

I wish I understood more about macro. I see so many different kinds. I "think" I remember a friend saying that hers was a 100mm macro. But the whole 100mm vs ______ whatever, I don't understand. I know my 100-300mm has a macro function on it, but I was thinking that when I tried to do macro, it wouldn't focus well unless I was really far away. So...confused. :confused:

haha, I had just found that page and was reading it when you posted. It looks like people are getting them for around $35-$50. This guy here on craigslist has one for $80 OBO...so, I'm thinking not a good deal at all. A few on ebay for $39 as well. :rolleyes:

I wish I understood more about macro. I see so many different kinds. I "think" I remember a friend saying that hers was a 100mm macro. But the whole 100mm vs ______ whatever, I don't understand. I know my 100-300mm has a macro function on it, but I was thinking that when I tried to do macro, it wouldn't focus well unless I was really far away. So...confused. :confused:

There's Macro and "Macro". Most zoom lenses will state that they are "Macro" which simply means that they can focus pretty close, or at least closer than ones that don't say "Macro". The 50mm and 100mm Macro lenses from Minolta and the 100mm, 50mm and 30mm Macro lenses from Sony focus much closer allowing a 1:1 ratio (true Macro). 1:1 means that on a 35mm slide (using film for illustration) the image of a dime would appear exactly the same size as the actual dime.

30mm, 50mm or 100mm will all do 1:1 with the only difference being depth of field (more for the shorter ones) and working distance (longer for the 100mm).

Dave

I normally don't appreciate getting woke up early in the morning. However...this morning we'll make an exception.

MY CAMERA HAS ARRIVED!! Doing the happy dance. :D :p

That's weird...I've never had a package arrive and wake me up before 4:30 AM!

Congratulations!

Dave

That's weird...I've never had a package arrive and wake me up before 4:30 AM!

Congratulations!

Dave

LOL. Anything before 11am is early to me. :D I stay up until about 2-3am, therefore sleep in. :p So when it arrived at 9am, I was a bit tired. :( But it's all for a good cause. hehe

• 3 weeks later...

Requesting your advice pierces...

I have a Konica Minolta 28-75 F2.8 D from when I got my Maxxum 7D, and it is a very versatile lens. It has been my 95% lens for over 5 years and is on its third body. The new Sony 28-75mm f/2.8 SAM is very nearly the same lens and has similar excellent performance.

I have been looking for the Konica Minolta 28-75 F2.8 lens and I know they seem to be hard to find. I did however run across a Minolta Tokina ??? AF 28-70mm 2.8. Do you think this is about the same? It says it's rare, but sounds exactly like what you were talking about and the price is good. Thinking of purchasing. Any thoughts? :)

I checked over on Dyxum and the lens got generally favorable reviews.

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?idlens=166

Looks like a good alternative to the Minolta 28-75.

Dave

Thanks for the opinion and link. The several links that I seen with reviews, the only "complaint" that I could really find was everyone says that it's extremely heavy.

Thanks for the opinion and link. The several links that I seen with reviews, the only "complaint" that I could really find was everyone says that it's extremely heavy.

"Extremely" heavy is relative. It is about 3 oz. Heavier than my Minolta 28-75, 12 oz. Lighter than the Nikon equivalent and 10 oz. Lighter than the Canon.

I find that lens solid and well-balanced on the A77.

Dave

"Extremely" heavy is relative. It is about 3 oz. Heavier than my Minolta 28-75, 12 oz. Lighter than the Nikon equivalent and 10 oz. Lighter than the Canon.

I find that lens solid and well-balanced on the A77.

Dave

Yea, I think I'm going to get it. Do you think it would be good for portraits? Right now, I've been using my 28mm. I just can't seem to get use to the 50mm for some reason. So I was hoping this zoom lens would be kinda equivalent to my 28mm but with the added feature of it being a zoom...hoping it will be one that I use a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, this lens is HEAVY. hehe :p It feels so different that the kit lens that I had before with the a300. I can't wait to get out and use it.

That difference is sort of like the difference between a Swatch and a Rolex...;)

Enjoy!

Dave

• 3 months later...
I just got an email to let me know that the a77 is now in stock again. :eek: Wow, I'm glad I didn't wait to order one and would have had to wait this long for one. Yikes. :p

My wife has had hers for more than 4 months now.

My wife has had hers for more than 4 months now.

Yea, I've had mine for 5 months now and so glad that someone on here told me where to get one that was still in stock otherwise it looks like I would have been waiting forever. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Have been looking at this camera. Just bought the SAL1850 f2.8 for my very ancient Sony Alpha 100, for my cruise in 11 days. Just wondered, how on earth do you move on from your old cameras? My camera has been faithfully serving me since jan 07

Have been looking at this camera. Just bought the SAL1850 f2.8 for my very ancient Sony Alpha 100, for my cruise in 11 days. Just wondered, how on earth do you move on from your old cameras? My camera has been faithfully serving me since jan 07

With all the updated functions, full HD movie, 24.3 MP...and everything else. It definitely wasn't hard to move on from my a300. :D

I have had my A700 since late '07 and it has been a fabulous tool for me. When it finally materialized, the A77 was enough of a "capability leap" to get me to upgrade.

No regrets! The A77 is quieter, faster and more robust than the A700 (same magnesium alloy body construction, but weather-sealed). I can't imagine you would be disappointed.

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Bye bye A700! :(

As much as I appreciated the ergonomics and performance of the A700 over the 4+ years I owned it, it has now been sold along with four of my least used lenses. The A77 with the new 16-50 f/2.8 SSM is such an amazing performer that the A700 would likely have lived out the rest of it's days as bag ballast.

I put the money to good use and ordered a NEX-7 to replace the A700 in my travel kit. I'll post my impressions after I have had time to evaluate it. The myriad reviews I have read make it out to be a stellar performer for street and travel photography when mated to the right lenses, so I guess I'll be in the market for some whiz-bang glass!

I ordered it with a Sigma 30mm f/2.8 after some exhaustive research. Any of you NEX owners should take a look at this lens. Almost the same performance of the Zeiss 24mm at 1/5 the price. I'll be posting a see-for-myself review of the 30mm as well.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Archived