Sony A77 Unveiled

dileep

The Camera Fairy made an appearance yesterday afternoon! Rainy, crappy day too! Spent the evening playing with controls and fiddling with settings.

Very solid, bristling with controls and surprisingly quiet shutter sound. The electronic viewfinder is pretty much as advertised; large, clear and covers 100% of the image. My A700 has one of the best APS-C viewfinders available and the A77 EVF is bigger and brighter. In afternoon light it was easy to forget that it was an electronic image...it's that good. In a dark room (lit-by-the-TV-only dark), there is some grain and sparkle from the image amplification, but you can actually see what you are aiming at. With the viewfinder quality issue out of the way, adding full shooting info, artificial horizon and rule-of-thirds grid overlay to the display was just icing on the cake! The fully-articulated LCD is really, really articulated. I will absolutely be shooting some odd-angle macros this weekend to try it out along with the focus magnification and focus-peaking features.

So far, so good! Full hands on will follow as soon as I have some time to really get to take it for a spin.

Obligatory pet test shot:

Hand-held, 1/4s, f/3.5, ISO 12800 (lit by TV and overhead reflected kitchen nightlight in darkened living room)

p622651288-4.jpg

High ISO is supposedly not its strong suit, but for web posting or HD slideshows...it looks ok to me!

Dave

dpreview now has review up where one can compare high ISO studio shots, nice tool for peepers!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page24.asp

Obligatory pet test shot:

Hand-held, 1/4s, f/3.5, ISO 12800 (lit by TV and overhead reflected kitchen nightlight in darkened living room)

p622651288-4.jpg

High ISO is supposedly not its strong suit, but for web posting or HD slideshows...it looks ok to me!

Dave

dpreview now has review up where one can compare high ISO studio shots, nice tool for peepers!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page24.asp

It is a pretty good way to make gross comparisons, but after a while it gets to the point of paralysis by analysis. What sold me on keeping my pre-order was some real-life images and hands-on reviews of the ergonomics by users who had actually received the camera.

Glad I did. We're still on our "first date" but I like how Miss A77 dresses and what she's had to say so far.

Dave

I think the dp review is pretty awesome. The side-by-side comparisons made me say wow.

So, my husband told me that they have pushed ordering back a month. Am I reading this right that it may be much longer in getting an A77 if not ordered already? (Because of the flood)...or is this just the lens that you guys were talking about? I'm a little confused. :confused:

Bottom line - if you are looking for a Nikon or Sony in the next 12 months, rather than wait for a sale, buy it if you find it. I would suspect prices to go up rather than down due to the production interruption.

Not good at all.

The good news is that Nikon and Sony have a lot of underwater cameras... :D

From the prices I'm seeing on places like ebay and such...people are trying to sell the entire camera and lens for $2250 all the way up to $2999.00 and just the bodies for $1499-1899 :eek: They are definitely trying to make a profit off of this bad situation. :(

I think the dp review is pretty awesome. The side-by-side comparisons made me say wow.

So, my husband told me that they have pushed ordering back a month. Am I reading this right that it may be much longer in getting an A77 if not ordered already? (Because of the flood)...or is this just the lens that you guys were talking about? I'm a little confused. :confused:

I pre-ordered mine body only from Amazon in August. The pre-orders are probably being fulfilled from stock that was already on the way before the floods worsened. They are likely not accepting new orders until all the pre-orders from the first wave are filled. Check places like Adorama, One Call, J&R Music World, B&H, Beach Camera or SonyStyle.com for availability. The flood has pushed the release of the A65 and NEX-7 back but stocks of the A77 seem to have gotten out to most markets.

Dave

Dave

but stocks of the A77 seem to have gotten out to most markets.

Dave

Dave

But is this "gotten out to most markets" meaning those that already pre-ordered? Or you think you can still order them (for the correct price without paying an arm and leg that is).

But is this "gotten out to most markets" meaning those that already pre-ordered? Or you think you can still order them (for the correct price without paying an arm and leg that is).

As mentioned, the pre-orders are being filled first and any remaining stock should start showing up after that. The A77 was heavily pre-ordered, so it may take a few days. Sony is pretty firm about pricing and has been historically harsh with dealers that either cut prices or gouge. If stock is available, you should be able to get it at the regular price...from a legit drealer, not a fleaBay scalper.

Dave

As mentioned, the pre-orders are being filled first and any remaining stock should start showing up after that. The A77 was heavily pre-ordered, so it may take a few days. Sony is pretty firm about pricing and has been historically harsh with dealers that either cut prices or gouge. If stock is available, you should be able to get it at the regular price...from a legit drealer, not a fleaBay scalper.

Dave

Thanks for the info and congrats on your purchase. I can't wait to see some pictures with this thing. :D

Mitsugirly<---keeping her hopes up to be able to get one!

BuyDig.com (Beach Camera) shows availability on Oct. 31

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=118&utm_id=14&ref=nextag&utm_source=NexTag&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SNSLTA77V&sku=SNSLTA77V

I bought my Canon SD800 from them a few years ago and they shipped promptly with no issues.

Adorama shows availability (doesn't say pre-order) but I couldn't tell for sure without ordering one..

Dave

BuyDig.com (Beach Camera) shows availability on Oct. 31

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=118&utm_id=14&ref=nextag&utm_source=NexTag&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SNSLTA77V&sku=SNSLTA77V

I bought my Canon SD800 from them a few years ago and they shipped promptly with no issues.

Adorama shows availability (doesn't say pre-order) but I couldn't tell for sure without ordering one..

Dave

Yea, I tried the Autorama one and couldn't tell without entering all my info, so I stopped.

I looked at the one from the link, I can't find one with the kit lens on there though (which is what I really want since I'm getting rid of my kit lens with my old Sony camera and only have fisheye, the zoom and 2 fixed left).

I pre-ordered mine body only from Amazon in August. The pre-orders are probably being fulfilled from stock that was already on the way before the floods worsened.

Dave

Did yours come directly from Amazon or from one of their partner stores?

Did yours come directly from Amazon or from one of their partner stores?

Sold by Amazon..com LLC

Is shows as being in stock for the first time today! (body only) The one with the new 16-50 kit lens is not there yet. I guess the body plus the new Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD would make a good compromise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IHAICK/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Dave

Congratulations on the new camera Dave. I am anxious to read a report on using it in the real world and on a cruise.

Larry

The cruise will have to wait Larry...I have a daughter starring in a wedding in March and it has eaten three or four cruises! :eek:

I'm working on a real world hands-on article and will publish it as soon as I'm done.

Darned impressed so far!

Dave

First impressions here: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/A77.htm

Impressive dynamic range...

p90885509-5.jpg

Interesting day learning the ins and outs.

Dave

Loved the review so far and the cropping is amazing!

Also, had to say, I love your site. I've spent several hours looking at your pictures and reading you "advice" on cameras, lens, and so on. Great site. Several years ago I wanted a lens baby so bad and it kinda fell off my "need" list because I've been so busy with schooling for the last 2 years...after seeing your lens baby pictures...here I go again...wanting one. :eek: :D

Nice article and nice photos, Dave. I am impressed. Unfortunately for me, the new Canon 1DX has, defying any bit of rationality or good sense, been put on my "want" list.:D

Larry

Larry - Canon 1DX - how many cruises would that be! :D

The Canon I would love, would be a Canon 7D focus system and it's pop up flash with the Canon 5D Mark 2 full frame picture quality mixed together at a nice sensible price - for me that's it then :eek: perfect!

Dave - the Sony A77 looks good - but for me I'm stuck in the Canon camp due to lens bought!

Andrew

Glad folks liked the article. I hope to keep updating as I test and play some more.

Larry:

That 1DX is pretty amazing...but the $5400 difference in price would trigger a wife/camera choice and I really love the wife!

Dave

LOL.... "but the $5400 difference in price would trigger a wife/camera choice and I really love the wife!" Notice, I carefully said "want," not intend to buy.

BTW. Happy halloween. Our house welcomes trick or treaters.

original.jpg

Larry

What a horrible "stuck" you got the 1dMkX and likely 5DMkIII coming, got the 1dMKIV, 5DMKII, 7d, rebels galore and an unmactched selection of grey and non-oem lenses. Also you got the ability to rent most lense you don't have the $ to purchase in almost any major city in the world, just horriblly stuck :D

You sound a lot like the Nikon camp wanting a mix match.. D3s sensor in a D700 body etc. etc.

Larry - Canon 1DX - how many cruises would that be! :D

The Canon I would love, would be a Canon 7D focus system and it's pop up flash with the Canon 5D Mark 2 full frame picture quality mixed together at a nice sensible price - for me that's it then :eek: perfect!

Dave - the Sony A77 looks good - but for me I'm stuck in the Canon camp due to lens bought!

Andrew

Archived