New Ship - A Modern Classic

u2cruiser

So, the new P&O ship, due to enter service in March 2015 has been announced in the Autumn Portunus magazine as being the largest cruise ship built specifically for the British market.

3,611 passengers, stylish modern design alongside the classic offerings that P&O passengers know and love. That's about it for details; they're not giving much away.

What changes would you like to see and what would you like to stay?

Myself, I would like to see the addition of more outdoor eating space/venues for warm evenings and a sofa area in regular cabins. I would like fixed shower enclosures instead of the dreaded curtains.

I would like them to keep the walk in wardrobes featured on Ventura and Azura.

I want to see more fun things to do up top, keep the bungee trampolines from Ventura, throw in mini golf, maybe a rock wall. That would be nice. Also, I know this depends on what Princess have designed, but the Atrium needs to be big, like 10 decks high with panoramic elevators and natural light coming in. A 3 deck high atrium is ok, but a bit pathetic. The Seascreen should be there as well, plus a bigger sports court. And I agree with u2cruiser about the shower enclosures. Like the 'pods' on the RCI ships. Sofa area also. Another point, which could be implemented now, is some damn unlimited soda packages!

So, the new P&O ship, due to enter service in March 2015 has been announced in the Autumn Portunus magazine as being the largest cruise ship built specifically for the British market.

I hate them referring to it as the biggest built specifically for the British market. That goes for Ventura/Azura as well. Technically, Independence of the Seas is the biggest. It was designed to be sailing year round from Southampton, being the first RCI ship to have heated pools (and having things like British bacon for breakfast and kettles in the cabins).

I have a suspicion that we'll find she doesn't have a conventional Promenade deck. Those lifeboats in the picture look as if they're stuck onto the outside of the ship, which is exactly the way it works on the Celebrity Solstice class. On those ships the "Promenade" is a walkway between the superstructure on one side and the boats on the other side, and they're down at deck level and obstruct the view out to sea. Also, it doesn't even extend round the stern let alone forward.

But as yet we don't know for certain. I think the first Princess ship goes into service in 2013, so her deck plans will have to be in next spring's brochure. We'll get a clearer picture then.

I have a suspicion that we'll find she doesn't have a conventional Promenade deck. Those lifeboats in the picture look as if they're stuck onto the outside of the ship, which is exactly the way it works on the Celebrity Solstice class. On those ships the "Promenade" is a walkway between the superstructure on one side and the boats on the other side, and they're down at deck level and obstruct the view out to sea. Also, it doesn't even extend round the stern let alone forward.

But as yet we don't know for certain. I think the first Princess ship goes into service in 2013, so her deck plans will have to be in next spring's brochure. We'll get a clearer picture then.

Looks like no terrace pool either, with the tiered aft cabins Tom.

For me - teak decks, tiered stern, lots of deck space, more reclining chairs - not those wretched sunbeds which are too low for those of a certain age to get up from, proper dance floor somewhere, ......yeh - I know....in my dreams !

I hate them referring to it as the biggest built specifically for the British market. That goes for Ventura/Azura as well. Technically, Independence of the Seas is the biggest. It was designed to be sailing year round from Southampton, being the first RCI ship to have heated pools (and having things like British bacon for breakfast and kettles in the cabins).

But those came much later after complaints by Uk cruisers !

But those came much later after complaints by Uk cruisers !

Still, P&O should be looking to compete with IOS, and possibly the second Sunshine class ship in 2015. Either way, I have a feeling that Indy won't stay in the UK, and may be replaced by something newer. Could you imagine if they transferred Oasis over? That would be serious competition. I am worried the new ship will be too traditional, I don't think P&O have the guts to make another Ventura.

I woulkd be adding the Celebrity Aqua class concept, with your own dedicated restaurant and other 'perks'. The 'Aqua' cabins need more storage space, and should not be under the pool deck, due to some noise issues, other than that, we are sold on them.

Richard

I woulkd be adding the Celebrity Aqua class concept, with your own dedicated restaurant and other 'perks'. The 'Aqua' cabins need more storage space, and should not be under the pool deck, due to some noise issues, other than that, we are sold on them.

Richard

Strange that the aqua class cabins are badly placed. Someone on the forum suggested that it was the only way they could sell them in that position, by making them more exclusive with perks.

Indy was never designed to sail from the uk all year round. She was, until the latest refits, identical to her two sisters. Her first season saw her winter in the Caribbean. She will receive a refit in 2013 but not to the higher spec that freedom and liberty have. Us Brits get short changed again!

Indy was never designed to sail from the uk all year round. She was, until the latest refits, identical to her two sisters. Her first season saw her winter in the Caribbean. She will receive a refit in 2013 but not to the higher spec that freedom and liberty have. Us Brits get short changed again!

I can't imagine why they couldn't give Indy the full refit. The only major things that were added on Freedom/Liberty were the Cupcake cupboard, the outdoor movie screen, the nursery and the interactive signs. Pretty tame compared to the Radiance drydock.

I can't imagine why they couldn't give Indy the full refit. The only major things that were added on Freedom/Liberty were the Cupcake cupboard, the outdoor movie screen, the nursery and the interactive signs. Pretty tame compared to the Radiance drydock.

Yes a weird one but RCI have made that statement.

With the intoduction of another ship - the biggest one so far at that, surely we will loose one, I think it will be Oceana, or perhaps two - Ventura as well. Perhaps these two will be rebranded as the new Ocean Village concept cruiseships.?

With the intoduction of another ship - the biggest one so far at that, surely we will loose one, I think it will be Oceana, or perhaps two - Ventura as well. Perhaps these two will be rebranded as the new Ocean Village concept cruiseships.?

I think the chances of OV being relaunched are incredibly slim. The rumours have come from ex crew members, and everyone now thinks this is going to happen for certain. Plus it would be ridiculous for P&O to give away Ventura. Its only 3 years old, and according to Captain Clark, its the most popular ship in the fleet. Oceana yes. She is going to be 15 years old when the new ship comes out, and what about Oriana? She will be 20 years old in 2015.

Archived