Sea Sickness Question

nycmode

I would suggest going to the ship's infirmary and asking for motion sickness pills. I haven't need to do that in several years but as I recall there was no charge for them. You want to be very careful about taking Dramamine or anything of that nature because it can knock you out. Enjoy your cruise. We are doing a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity in less than three months. ;)

Only problem of waiting to go to the infirmary is that (1) you probably wouldn't do that until you are already having symptoms, and (2) you wouldn't have a chance to try whatever they'd give you pre-cruise so don't know what the side effects would be.

I never heard of ginger pills - will have to check them out. On my last few cruises I used crystallized ginger. Just kept nibbling a little for the first day or so until I got my sea legs so to speak.

Ginger seems to work pretty good and I've never heard of any side effects, other than a ginger aftertaste. We only take it the first day of a cruise (don't even do that all the time anymore or if we're in or anticipating rough seas or we start to feel a little queasy. We've given some to cruise friends who don't normally have issues but started to feel a little queasy and it has almost always helped considerably. The ginger supplement pills are an easy and inexpensive form to carry and take.

I would be surprised if she was seasick on a modern ship. However

In the UK you can buy pills over the counter which are prescription only in the USA. I always have some just in case but have never used them. They have the same drug as the patch behind the ear and the brand name is Kwells but many pharmacies do their own label.

Most people have little or no seasickness issues in calm waters and I'd say the majority of our cruises are pretty calm throughout. But I'd say about 1/3 of our cruises have at least a day or so of rough, or slightly rough seas and some people do have issues in the rough seas. The large modern liners might not have nearly as much motion as older smaller ships with no stabilizers but in rough seas they'll still pitch and roll a bit. In around 20 cruises we've taken in our lives I'd say we had fairly rough seas 3 or 4 times. When you see them strategically placing the barf bags in public areas around the ship you know it is time to take some ginger or whatever you bring.

Still, I wouldn't advise anyone who doesn't know if they'll have issues to take any form of strong medicine on the first cruise. I know this presents a little bit of dilemma since most medicines work best if taken in advance, but I'd still try either no medicine or just something with no side effects like ginger or sea bands before going with the meds.

I think at the top of my list right now are ginger pills and bracelets and I'm assuming they will have apples onboard? I may get a patch but only give it to her if the other remedies don't work, although ideally I'm hoping she won't need any of it!

I did hear that eating sour items does help with nausea. I remember once we took a roller coaster and my wife got terribly sick. I went and got her a bag of sour gummies and they worked and she's sworn by super sour candy ever since.

The last time I was on the Jewel, at one point in the cruise we hit some rough waters briefly. I was feeling a bit squeamish so I ate some sour candy and it worked for me too.

I have tried several things to help with seasickness.

First started with Bonine each day but found after several days I was a bit sleepy at times.

In the fall of 2009 on a trip from NJ to the Caribbean I used the patch and it worked well, but when I got off the ship and took off the patch I suffered from sever nausea for over a week. My doctor told me I could not use it again. The pamphlet in the RX box listed it as a side affect. Also by the way the pharmacist told me you SHOULD NOT CUT THE PATCHES IN HALF. I agree that you might want to try the patch at home to make sure you do not have any adverse reaction.

Last fall (2010) on a westbound transatlantic the captain advised we would have rough seas while passing through the Straits of Gibraltar so I had acupuncture while on the ship and it worked.

As I prepare for 24 days in the Med (2- 12 day cruises B2B) I will bring Bonine and will not hesitate to have acupuncture again if needed. (even though they say it lasts)

I think at the top of my list right now are ginger pills and bracelets and I'm assuming they will have apples onboard? I may get a patch but only give it to her if the other remedies don't work, although ideally I'm hoping she won't need any of it!...

Don't try the patch for the first time while you're on the cruise!

While many people use the patch with no side effects it absolutely tops the list in stories of terrible side effects I've heard. If anyone is considering using it on a cruise and is bringing one "just in case" they should definitly know ahead of time how it effects them.

Hi all, I may have asked about this before, but since I can't remember where I posted it awhile back I'd like to just ask this on a thread I can track. My wife and I are going on the Silhouette in November. She's never cruised before and while we are confident she will be alright, I'd like to still bring some things onboard that might help ease the symptoms. I'm about to do my shopping soon and was wondering ... do those bracelets work? And some folks mentioned ginger pills ... where can I get those? Just any drugstore? Also any other suggestions are welcome. Thank You! :D

Ginger is great .You can also get ginger tea in the dining room .Just request in when you sit down & they will make it for you.;)

My wife uses bromine& it workd for her .

Ginger is great .You can also get ginger tea in the dining room .Just request in when you sit down & they will make it for you.;)

They serve sushi every afternoon around 5Pm in the buffet and have bowls of ginger out for that. But we usually just stick with the tablets for medicinal purposes.

I second the idea of ginger pills. I have tried everything and they work the best with absolutely no side effects. Ginger cookies are great, too. But I buy ginger capsules over the counter, start taking them a few days before the cruise, then two a day while on the ship. Works great. The patch has lots of side effects, at least for me. You'll never even know you are taking the ginger.

I agree with the ginger pill theory.

It worked for me and we were on some fairly choppy seas and as others have said, no side effects. I recommended them to a friend who was going on a cruise but was concerned as he got seasick on a pedalo. He started taking them a few days before his cruise and was absolutely fine.

It a definite choice before prescription or other remedies that can make you feel yeuch!!

The wrist bands are also good but not always a good fashion accessory ;)

I am super prone to motion sickness and so I pack an abundence of motion-sick stuff when I travel. My list includes:

-The bracelets (bought mine at drugstore for about $10) love these, very helpful for me. Downside is they are a little bulky and they don't work for everyone.

- Bonine - I start taking them about 1 day prior to travel then take 2 a day while on the cruise. No side effects for me with these.

- Scopolomine patch - by far this works the best for me of all the preventative measures, but I don't like the side effects (dry mouth and it makes food/drink taste funny)

- Candied ginger/Ginger pills - good for when you start to feel gross. Ginger is supposed to calm your stomach, but with all my preventative measures I have yet to use my ginger remedies :D

yayvacation!

I am not clear on your post (my fault, not yours). Are you saying you take and use all of these remedies. Or, whichever you feel is going to work best.

If it is the former, you could be inviting trouble. Can't/won't speak to the wristbands or ginger, but if you are using the "patch" and taking two bonine you are exceeding the recommended dosages.

The dosage for Bonine/Meclazine is one tablet in 24 hours. It is recommended that you not double up on the dose even if you have missed a day.

The dosage for the "patch" is one every 3 days.

Lots of good, if somewhat confusing advice here. Let me help if I may. First, my qualifications..... I am a professional seasicker. I spent 6 years in the Navy, 5 of them at sea on a detroyer, 390 ft long aboyt 22,000 tons, very small compared with the average cruise ship of today.

I was one of the few sailors that got seasick everytime we went out to sea. My stomach would start to quease up as soon as the lines came in. At the time, we were given nothing more than Saltines to help. I would be sick for the first two days and than would begin to feel better unless the weather was rough and the seas were high.

Now when I cruise, I am fearful that if I don't take preventative measures I will be sick for most of the sea days. As stated before, most of these ships are very smooth due to size and science (stabilizers). Be that as it may, folks still get seasick and it can ruin a trip. My fix is Bonine. I take one the morning of departure so it will have been in my system for 8 hours or so. I take one every morning of the cruise sick or not. After quite a few cruises of this system, I've not had one twinge of seasickness and have had no side effects. Good luck

About the patches, if you read the brochure from the company and the manufacturer's info online, it specificaly says that the patch is a pre-measured dose, the same for the person who weights 100 or 200 lbs. Hence the absorption would be different depending on weight, age, medical condition etc. and yes, if you are taking other medications, something like scopolamine could definetly interfere. As for cutting it in half, of course your pharmacist will tell you not to, that is there job. They go by the specific guidelines and trhey want to sell product. However, how many times have you taken more pain pills because 1 pill did not work or taken medication given by someone else because " they said it worked'. As a nurse, I can tell you to use caution with this as with any medication as all medications do not work the same for everyone but it is a matter of using common sense.

Cruisfan

with frankdp and crwhygiene regarding Bonine. I used to get VERY sick on board a ship or anything else moving!! My first cruise was spent in the infirmary for 2 days. This was a few years back until I discovered Bonine!! Dramamine did not work for me. I now take one Bonine the morning of departure and maybe one a day until I feel I don't need anymore.

Sometimes I only take 2 or 3 per cruise, depending on the weather conditions. What I also do, is take a bonine after departure if I have dizziness once on solid ground again. I discovered this several cruises ago when I was walking into doorways and walls when I

returned home!! I also take one a day until all dizziness subsides. Try it, it works!!

After just going through Hurricane Irene here in North Jersey, I am looking forward to the

Nov. 6th sailing of the Silhouette out of Bayonne. And for sure, I will have my Bonine in my hand and use as needed!! We will still be in hurricane season, so everyone should be prepared! I have cruised several times at this time of year and the weather can be very

unpredictable. I have seen too many windy, nasty situations occur with bad weather, including people falling off of balconys.

When cruising during a storm, just keep yourself safe, the cruise line will not put passengers

in harms way, but cruisers have to be mindful of their own safety!!

Happy cruising to all and stay safe!!!

I talked to someone who swears by ginger pills, but isn't it just like taking a vitamin? I don't see how it would work for everyone.

Is Dramamine or Bonine better? I also know there is a generic version called Meclizine, there is a less drowsy version of Dramamine too, has anyone tried that? I tried Dramamine and it made me pretty sleepy after an hour. I don't like to be sleepy during vacation.

I was prescribed the patch to put behind my ear by my doctor when I told him I was going on a cruise last time, but I didn't use it because I was afraid of the side effects. It looked like there were a lot of them.

I've never tried the wristbands, do they work?

On the last two cruises I was on, I was sea sick once. I would like to eliminate it as much as possible. I remember on my last January 2010 cruise I didn't go to dinner one night because of it. Sometimes I wonder if it is the food and not the sea? Food is rich onboard and I don't usually make my food that rich.

I talked to someone who swears by ginger pills, but isn't it just like taking a vitamin? I don't see how it would work for everyone....

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/2007-09-01/Ginger-A-Natural-Remedy-for-Motion-Sickness.aspx

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginger-000246.htm

http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/84/3/367.abstract

http://www.esys.org/seekrank/sekrnk11.html

And you are also correct in saying it may not work for everyone. But then again the same thing can be said about any other sea sickness remedy. We've seen reports above citing bad effects for some from the scopolamine patch but there are many that it works great for. Personally, I'd rather try some remedy that has no side effects and see if it works for me rather than take a drug with common side effects and see if I get those side effects. Others can make their own decision.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/2007-09-01/Ginger-A-Natural-Remedy-for-Motion-Sickness.aspx

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginger-000246.htm

http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/content/84/3/367.abstract

http://www.esys.org/seekrank/sekrnk11.html

And you are also correct in saying it may not work for everyone. But then again the same thing can be said about any other sea sickness remedy. We've seen reports above citing bad effects for some from the scopolamine patch but there are many that it works great for. Personally, I'd rather try some remedy that has no side effects and see if it works for me rather than take a drug with common side effects and see if I get those side effects. Others can make their own decision.

I tried ginger before and the pills are huge. I think they actually induced some of my sea sickness. (I would try ginger again though) I have been prescribed he scopolamine patch by my doctor and I didn't want to try it. I read that there are really bad side effects.

A little personal background. I was a Navy corpsman for 28 years. I spent about 6 years on sea duty, including two as an independent corpsman (i.e. . the only medical person on board).

As I said in my earlier post I have no knowledge of either the wrist bands nor of ginger so I won't address them, other than to provide hearsay info that I have heard they work for some people.

I have dispensed both dramamine and bonine. They also work for some (IMO most) but not all people. But, they must be taken before the symptoms appear (nausea, etc.). And then, they need to be taken as prescribed by the physician and/or label on the medication itself.

We run a danger on these boards or even in life dispensing medical advice on how to best take this (or any other) medication.

My best advice would be, if you have time, to ask the advice of your health care practitioner and then if advised to take dramamine or bonine to do so only as directed by the manufacturer. Same thing for the patch (which I believe needs a prescription). These are the preventative measures.

If you start to feel seasick, get on deck and watch the motion of the horizon. Some say saltines and ginger will help alleviate the symptoms. If the symptoms worsen, get to the medical people on ship. Believe me when I say that severe seasickness can be quite debilitating and dangerous.

So, my (learned) advice to the OP is consult with you medical practitioner if possible. If not, get an over the counter remedy (bonine or non-drowsy dramamine) and use it ONLY AS DIRECTED by the manufacturer. If you experience adverse symptoms, get thee to the medical department on ship.

I agree that the ginger pills were too big to digest for me. lol My pharmacy had ginger gum right in the aisle with the dramamine. Sea Bands brand even manufactures it. I bought it, but decided the Bonine was working better. And my life savers "Pep-O-Mints". ;)

I agree that the ginger pills were too big to digest for me. lol My pharmacy had ginger gum right in the aisle with the dramamine. Sea Bands brand even manufactures it. I bought it, but decided the Bonine was working better. And my life savers "Pep-O-Mints". ;)

I use Bonine Works well. I used the patch and was very sick (nausea and vomiting) for week after the cruise. My doctor told me to never use it again. Also my pharmacist told me that the patch should not be cut in half.

I use Bonine Works well. I used the patch and was very sick (nausea and vomiting) for week after the cruise. My doctor told me to never use it again. Also my pharmacist told me that the patch should not be cut in half.

The "patch" side effects scared the dickens out of me, so I said no way. I tend to have strange reactions to standard medications, so I didn't want to chance it! The Bonine was good. I also brought along a Rx of compazine as an insurance policy - just in case I had a bad case of vomiting. Never needed it at all, but it made me less anxious knowing it was with me if necessary.

Don't try the patch for the first time while you're on the cruise!

While many people use the patch with no side effects it absolutely tops the list in stories of terrible side effects I've heard. If anyone is considering using it on a cruise and is bringing one "just in case" they should definitly know ahead of time how it effects them.

Yeah I might just forgo it altogether then ... I don't want her to get sicker!

If you start to feel seasick, get on deck and watch the motion of the horizon. Some say saltines and ginger will help alleviate the symptoms. If the symptoms worsen, get to the medical people on ship. Believe me when I say that severe seasickness can be quite debilitating and dangerous.

Thanks for the good advice. Also how does looking at the horizon help?

Thanks for the good advice. Also how does looking at the horizon help?

I copied this from: http://motion-sickness-guru.com/basic-dos-and-donts.html

Try to sit where you have a good view outside (if you're on a boat, go out onto the deck) and keep your eyes on a distant fixed point, such as the horizon. This gives your brain a reference point from which to make sense of the movement it is experiencing. Alternatively, closing your eyes - and therefore cutting out one of your body's sources of conflicting sensory information - may help, but again this seems to vary from person to person.

Pretty much the same thing (different words) I was taught.

I do think a key factor in sea(motion) sickness and its treatment/prevention is the last sentence. Whether it is herbal remedies, acupuncture, seasick pills, bands, patches - the effect will vary from person to person. IOW what works for some will not work for others.

Since some of you definitely seem to know what you are talking about, I wonder if anyone has heard about a case like mine.

Now, I know any opinion on this board does not constitute as medical advice and I'm hoping no one takes it as such, but since our doctors don't seem to be of much help in explaining our options, I was curious to know if anyone else knew anecdotally of someone who had never before suffered from motion sickness but did, surprisingly, on the large ships that no one is supposed to get sea-sick on.

I've never had issues with motion sickness. Reading in the car? No problem. Trains, planes? Nothing. I canoed extensively as a preteen without an issue. I didn't have many opportunities when I was young to go out on the water in small crafts like a motorboat, but on the handful of occasions I do remember, it was the same thing: Nada.

When my parents-in-law cruised for the first time, their friends recommended the scopolamine patches, which they requested and received from their primary care physician and used with little to no side effects.

So when the time came for my honeymoon cruise (and because I didn't want to take the chance of being sick my entire honeymoon), I asked and got the patches from my doctor, who wrote out the prescription without a word. My husband did too.

We wore the patches until about halfway through the cruise with no side effects (well, my eyes were a little blurry at times - which can be a side effect but is also a side effect of one of the other medications I take) but because we don't like using that stuff any more than we had to, took them off like I said, at the halfway point.

I promptly got sick and, when I put the patch back on, felt better. Now, it was also during this time we went to our first luau and I will go to my grave insisting that I ate something that disagreed with me at the luau and that I (still) do not suffer from motion sickness. My husband likes to point out that the ill feeling occurred with the removal of the patch (coincidentally, of course) and went away with the reapplication (also coincidentally, of course...). Note: he finished out the cruise without a problem. Which he also likes to point out. Coincidentally, of course....

So? Anybody else have this issue?

Archived