First Time Cruisers who need a visa

Martyjac

For all those who answered my inquiry about my denied China visa, finally Holland has granted me a boarding pass for the Grand Asia cruise 70 day cruise without a China visa, though with a stipulation. I will have to stay on board during the ships visits to the 3 of the 4 ports in China, although I will be allowed to visit Hong, though a visa not required. Consequently, this is fine as I could of lost the entire cost of the cruise, but my travel agent and Holland worked it out. What a relief.

In retrospect, I did get a reply from my inquiry to the Chinese Consulate General's visa office in San Francisco about my denied visa. Although no reason was given to me for the denial they said that they frequently deny visas to felons, or people who owe restitution to the government, back child support, or any threat to China.

My suggestion to Holland and all ship lines is the ships booking agent onboard, or the passengers personal travel agent, is that they inform their customers who sign up with non refundable deposits, or plan to pay for their cruise in full, at the time of booking the trip, that they are fully responsible for attaining visas (if needed) and NO refunds given-verbally or in writing.

I know in the very back of the Holland catalogs they refer to visas in the fine print, but I did not order from any catalog, as there was a one page circular that was delivered to our stateroom advertising the Grand Asia 2011 cruise last December while on another Holland cruise.

The reality of this all, I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

That is greast news for you. You will at least get a taste of China in HK and China is a relatively small part of the cruise. Too bad all the flaming you took but that was predictable given the mindset of a few on CC. Have a great cruise.

I happy this worked for you, but I just don't understand how HAL can grant anyone a boarding pass without a visa? I know a few people who didn't have the proper documentation, including not having visas, who could not cruise. How can HAL circumvent a country's regulations? I just hope you don't have a problem when the ship pulls into the Chinese ports and their officials come on board and inspect everyone's passports.

OP has posted on a 'parallel' thread that this arrangement has been made with the cooperation of the four Chinese ports / immigration authorities. It was not a decision by HAL - but all credit to the cruise line for working on his behalf.

I've been watching with interest, and have learnt much about the need to get visas planned if not executed in plenty of time. While I know that 'ignorance is no defence' in law, be that criminal or contract law, I can see how someone who booked via a TA or the line without a brochure containing the small print would not have foreseen these difficulties, and would have accepted a 'good travel insurance' policy without even necessarily knowing about the 'cancellation for any reason' package. And I don't think those sorts of policies are even available to those of us in Europe.

So, to the OP, have a great cruise and relax and enjoy some time on board a tranquil ship while others are enjoying the hustle and bustle of on-shore excursions. It could be worse :)

" My suggestion to Holland and all ship lines is the ships booking agent onboard, or the passengers personal travel agent, is that they inform their customers who sign up with non refundable deposits, or plan to pay for their cruise in full, at the time of booking the trip, that they are fully responsible for attaining visas (if needed) and NO refunds given-verbally or in writing. "

I am sure I see it on every cruise line's website that visas and shots are full responsibility of the passenger. But I'm glad it worked out for you.

For all those who answered my inquiry about my denied China visa, finally Holland has granted me a boarding pass for the Grand Asia cruise 70 day cruise without a China visa, though with a stipulation. I will have to stay on board during the ships visits to the 3 of the 4 ports in China, although I will be allowed to visit Hong, though a visa not required. Consequently, this is fine as I could of lost the entire cost of the cruise, but my travel agent and Holland worked it out. What a relief.

This seems to me to be a prime example of what can be accomplished by spreading a bit of cash around in the proper places. The rules be damned....money talks.

Scott & Karen

This seems to me to be a prime example of what can be accomplished by spreading a bit of cash around in the proper places. The rules be damned....money talks.

Scott & Karen

Sorry, but where does the OP say anything about paying extra money for this? Others suggested that he use a visa agency but he clearly states that the arrangements were made by his TA and HAL working together, and he said in the other thread that it was with the cooperation of officials in China. He doesn't say "I spent a whole lot of extra money and they changed their minds" and I feel that your post could suggest that he has been party to corruption. By implication that would mean that HAL were also participating in law-breaking.

I'm sorry if that is counter to what you intended, but it is how your post reads.

Sorry, but where does the OP say anything about paying extra money for this? Others suggested that he use a visa agency but he clearly states that the arrangements were made by his TA and HAL working together, and he said in the other thread that it was with the cooperation of officials in China. He doesn't say "I spent a whole lot of extra money and they changed their minds" and I feel that your post could suggest that he has been party to corruption. By implication that would mean that HAL were also participating in law-breaking.

Hi CraftyEC,

You are a very gracious and kind person to give Martyjac the benefit of the doubt in this case. I believe your opinion is definitely not a misreading of my message.

IMHO, if you believe that the Chinese immigration officials agreed (without some inducement through the action of a TA) to permit this individual to enter Chinese territory without a visa, after having denied countless others, then you believe that Santa's sleigh touches down on every house on Christmas eve.

IMHO, HAL would have nothing to do with it unless and until cleared by China. Then they might well help. Do you have any idea of the problems caused if HAL did get involved with negotiating with Chinese immigration officials? There might even be lawsuits by, for example, the next passengers refused boarding because HAL let this passenger sail to China and the next passengers were being discriminated against. And realize please that the ship will be in Chinese waters (read IN CHINA) and these passengers will not be part of the ship's crew and will not have Chinese visas.

There is no question in my mind that money was paid to make this happen. I'm not saying it is corruption because that depends on your definition of corruption. It was with the cooperation of officials. IMHO, money certainly exchanged hands to make this happen.

You have to be kidding if you expect the passenger to say "I spent a whole lot of extra money and they changed their minds" on a public forum. That is not a reasonable thing to share.

Also IMHO, this just shows again how rules don't mean much when money is involved.

Scott & Karen

Archived