where is the best snorkeling??

ampleiwb

I considered asking this on the port of call section of the boards-but its a little to broad to be placed in any one port...

We are going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. We would like to snorkel once. 1) Which of these ports has the best snorkling and 2) what should I expect to pay for a snorkeling tour from an operator at the pier? I am not in amazing shape so I probably would want to snorkel either close to a beach or close to a boat in case I need a break.

A short tour will do-but long is okay too, really just want info on whatever you recommend.

Thanks in advance!!

I considered asking this on the port of call section of the boards-but its a little to broad to be placed in any one port...

We are going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. We would like to snorkel once. 1) Which of these ports has the best snorkling and 2) what should I expect to pay for a snorkeling tour from an operator at the pier? I am not in amazing shape so I probably would want to snorkel either close to a beach or close to a boat in case I need a break.

A short tour will do-but long is okay too, really just want info on whatever you recommend.

Thanks in advance!!

Those ports are all great from snorkeling so you'll have plenty of options. If you don't want to go out on a boat, but prefer to snorkel from shore, I would second Tabanaya beach or Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. We did an excursion at Tabanaya that included beach chair, snorkle equipment, and lunch...39/pp. Tabanaya had really great snorkeling, great reef, lots of fish, couple guys in Kayaks around to make sure everyone is ok. You can rent equipment and a locker at Eden Rock, probably run you 15/20 bucks total. Have fun, snorkeling is the best!

I have only been to GC and Cozumel of the ports on your list. I enjoyed Cozumel more than GC so far, but we are looking to go diving in both those ports next summer. :cool:

Here's my album of our Cozumel snorkel trip last month. We booked a private tour on a boat that lasted about 4 hours. Three reefs at varying depths, we even saw a nurse shark at the last spot. (The last three pictures in the album are the shark)

:D I am for Belize, it has the second largest coral reef in the world after the Australian great barrier reef.

The Belize Barrier Reef is home to a large diversity of plants and animals, and is one of the most diverse ecosystems of the world:

• 70 hard coral species
  • 36 soft coral species
  • 500 species of fish
  • hundreds of invertebrate species

This is why the cruise ships have to stop miles away from the shore.

Tabayana gets my vote as well...and it gets you over to Roatan's beautiful beaches!

We were hoping for a great experience in Belize due to the barrier reef, but were quite disappointed.

In Cozumel you can take a quick taxi ride to Chankanaab and for about $20 per person hang out there for the day...great place with aidirondack lounge chairs, a pool, dolphin and sea lions, a huge pool with swim up bar, restaurant, and you can snorkel right from the beach there as well. We enjoyed our day there, too!

Grand Cayman you can do a stingray excursion (awesome) with an outfit like Moby Dick or Nativeway, and they also stop to snorkel, too. Only problem is that sometimes the waters are choppy there.

Have a great time...loved doing these ports on the Legend 3 times!

I would second Tabanaya beach or Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. We did an excursion at Tabanaya that included beach chair, snorkle equipment, and lunch...39/pp. Tabanaya had really great snorkeling, great reef, lots of fish, couple guys in Kayaks around to make sure everyone is ok. !

Who did you book your excursion with? If we don't get excursion with lunch while snorkeling any other suggestions (traveling with constantly hungry teenager!) for where to snorkel & dine on Roatan?

YES YES YES to Tabyana!!!!!

I've snorkeled the Caymans, Bahamas, St. John's, St. Thomas, Cozumel, Costa Maya & Belieze....and honestly Tabyana beats them all. When you swim out to the back side of the reef you are in water over 100 feet deep and can see clear to the bottom. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. The beach was beautiful and the snorkeling incredible!

On a related note to Brewzz, what kind of camera did you use for your underwater shots? You have some great photos. Mine never turn out that well.

Go to Tabynaya. We have snorkeled three times in the same place in Belize in the last 8 years and sorry to say, the coral is dying. Last summer, we snorkeled there for the first in five years and maybe half the coral is dead and we saw a lot less fish. The tour operater told us it is too many people causing it. They stopped doing the shark reef tour (whale sharks) because there are no more whale sharks. Very sad. In a few years, Tabanaya will also be dead, like the Bahamas. Enjoy it while you can.

Wait! OP tour from HI. Please tell us where is the best snorkeling is in HI. Any way, I liked both Rotan and Belize. The other option in Belize is a private cave tube excursion. Enjoy, each are great.

Side bar. Can you inform us about zip line in akaka, Hilo, HI.?

Archived