VIV Tours CaveTubing - Any reviews?

Dallen*

I agree!! We used them last week also and had a great time our guide was Kareem and he was very good.

We did the zip line combo and well worth it.

Did you zip line first, or cave tube first?

Did you feel like your cave tubing was shorter than others because you did both?

Lunch is a MUST !! Delicious rice and beans, stewed chicken, cole slaw, fresh OJ. And yes, we were ready for lunch at the end, and knocked it back in record time! Watch the habanero pepper. Major Tom serves this at their restaurant at the park, next to where the vehicles are - very convenient. He and his son, (called "Minor Tom") and their staff gave us sterling service. Equipment can be the all popular black tubes that are half immersed in the water (far more fun) or the high floating "yellow tubes", which were a little difficult to manage in the water. Helmets were optional if the river was normal, used if the river was higher than normal (this is the oldest cave tubing company at the site, so we felt totally confident in their decisions). Lights were very bright (LEDs). Mike was hilarious, and had us laughing all the way there and back. Major Tom is an encyclopedia of knowledge on his country and on the caves and surrounding rainforest. We met them outside the "glass doors" at Terminal One at the dock, quite easily - seems everyone we asked knew the major and respected him. Timings were great and we got back to the dock with mucho shopping time. Google "Major Tom in Belize" or see the ads above for contact.

Thank you...But I was asking about the lunch option with VIV tours since this is a thread about them.

Has anyone that went with VIV had lunch afterwards? I see on thier website that lunch is available.

Yes VIV wears helmets with lights, but the lights are not very bright. I don't think pictures inside the cave will turn out very well without a flash. But you will still get great pictures of the hike, the river and the entrances and exits of the caves. You can bring a change of clothes and/or a towel and leave them in the van. There is a modern restroom facility there that is reasonably clean where you can change clothes. They will give you the opportunity to change both before and after the tubing. I personally did not change, but brought a towel to dry off with and sit on.

Thank you both (Luke...) for the information, I'll double bag my camera if I take it :-)

Did you bring a snack or a drink or did you wait til you got back

to the ship?

Thank you both (Luke...) for the information, I'll double bag my camera if I take it :-)

Did you bring a snack or a drink or did you wait til you got back

to the ship?

There are vendors around the parking area at the park. We bought a snack there both before and after the tubing. You can get drinks, including water, some US candy and some local packaged candy. There were probably other things available too. After a big breakfast on the ship it was enough to tide us over until we got back mid-afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
There are vendors around the parking area at the park. We bought a snack there both before and after the tubing. You can get drinks, including water, some US candy and some local packaged candy. There were probably other things available too. After a big breakfast on the ship it was enough to tide us over until we got back mid-afternoon.

Around what time did you get back to the port area?

Around what time did you get back to the port area?

I don't remember exactly anymore. We didn't have to rush and we weren't on the last tender, but I wouldn't count on having a lot of time to do something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a tubing trip with VIV. It was great.

The tubes are much better than others with the head rest and clipping together. Our guide went down the trail fast so we were ahead of the other groups. We were back to the port a little over a hour before the last tender.

There are several vendors to get snacks in the park and a buffet at one shop. It looked a little heavy for me after the trip. Just got a coke and some snacks.

No snakes, clean area to change, kept all our stuff in the locked van

Highly recommend. Kind David was our guide and did a great job.

The tubes are much better than others with the head rest and clipping together. Our guide went down the trail fast so we were ahead of the other groups. We were back to the port a little over a hour before the last tender.

There are several vendors to get snacks in the park and a buffet at one shop. It looked a little heavy for me after the trip. Just got a coke and some snacks.

Good to hear, I'm booked with them in 2 weeks. Were you allowed to bring a water bottle while tubing? Or just a camera?

We just went to Belize last week and did the Cave Tubing tour with Rock. He was a great tour guide. I would recommend bringing some snacks from the ship as it does end up being a long day and there isn't much to eat where the cave tubing begins and ends. We did feel a little rushed after our trip to get back in the van to get back to the port. For the money we paid $40 per person for the three of us it was worth our time. I would also recommend purchasing one of those water proof cameras. That was something I didn't think of and wish I was told to do so as we don't have many photos from our cave tubing. I would also recommend one of those wet suite tops they sell now for sun protection as the water was cool this time of year.

do you have a contact for Rock?

We're going in March and I'd like to try cave tubing if the river is okay. Was the river fast or slow? Just wondering how the actual tubing was.

Thanks for your help.

What about spiders? Im really interested in the cave-tubing, its been highly recommended to us, and VIV is looking like the best to me. But were there alot of spiders? I'm highly arachnophobic and I don't wanna freak out or freak anyone else out lol

My family has done Cave Tubing in Belize through a Carnival excursion (not sure what company they use). It was a nice relaxing day, and alot of fun as we were with several friends. But if it's a rush you're after, this is far from it. Not sure I would do it a 2nd time but am glad we did it once.

It's been a few years but I think it was about a 30 minute bus ride to the location. You get off the bus and they give everyone a large inflatable tube and a helmet with lights for seeing in the caves. You march for about at least 30 minutes through the jungle to get to the start of the tubing.

First thing you need to know is just how cold the water is that's coming out of the mountains. Also it's very shallow.

You float leisurely into the caves (very dark)' and you go from cave to cave, seeing the formations, etc.

It was fun having water fights along the way.

After that, they drove us to an island pub called Cheers where we enjoyed local cuisine and Belican beer.

Then back on a bus to go back to the ship.

Hope this helps.

We're going in March and I'd like to try cave tubing if the river is okay. Was the river fast or slow? Just wondering how the actual tubing was.

Thanks for your help.

They have a sign with I think it was 3 different level that the river could be as a warning before hand. It was in the middle when we were there. The water was running slow. It is a very lazy slow ride with the guide doing all the work. No worry about Snakes, spiders or anything else. The guide told us the if you were used to rapids being rated 4 or 5, this river was a .2. I think he was right.

You will enjoy it if you are looking to see the country side and the caves. It is not a fast or thrilling adventure, just a fun lazy educational day.

What about spiders? Im really interested in the cave-tubing, its been highly recommended to us, and VIV is looking like the best to me. But were there alot of spiders? I'm highly arachnophobic and I don't wanna freak out or freak anyone else out lol

Of course spiders are everywhere, seen or unseen. That said, I did not notice a bunch of spiders on the trip. The trail is pretty wide so you are not brushing up against the vegetation. If there are any spiders in the caves it will be too dark to see them, and you are mostly in the middle of the river.

On the hike there is a spot where most guides stop to show you a tarantula and give people an opportunity to touch it. (It is not poisonous.) But you don't have to get close to it if you don't want to.

We just returned on Mariner and did the cave tubing w/Viv tours. Kareem was our driver and he and Rock were our guides. There were 14 of us, 12 did the cave tubing and 2 did the zip line/cave tubing. We had a wonderful time. The tubes are great. The trek to the river was longer than I expected, but we stopped at intervals for rest breaks/informative sessions. At no time did we feel rushes. Other groups just wisked on by us as if they were on a mission to get back as soon as they could. We were back at the port in plenty of time. I would highly recommend Viv tours!

Of course spiders are everywhere, seen or unseen. That said, I did not notice a bunch of spiders on the trip. The trail is pretty wide so you are not brushing up against the vegetation. If there are any spiders in the caves it will be too dark to see them, and you are mostly in the middle of the river.

On the hike there is a spot where most guides stop to show you a tarantula and give people an opportunity to touch it. (It is not poisonous.) But you don't have to get close to it if you don't want to.

Thanks! I definitely known spiders are everywhere, I was really more concerned about how obvious they are lol. This was a very helpful answer, and we've booked with VIV now! I really do want to do this, I just don't want to ruin anyone else's enjoyment because Im a wimp when it comes to those eight legged demons! LOL

So note - if you're gonna be in Belize on 3/15 and are going on a VIV cave-tubing trip, look for the red-head that is trying really hard NOT to see the spiders. :D

We just returned on Mariner and did the cave tubing w/Viv tours. Kareem was our driver and he and Rock were our guides. There were 14 of us, 12 did the cave tubing and 2 did the zip line/cave tubing. We had a wonderful time. The tubes are great. The trek to the river was longer than I expected, but we stopped at intervals for rest breaks/informative sessions. At no time did we feel rushes. Other groups just wisked on by us as if they were on a mission to get back as soon as they could. We were back at the port in plenty of time. I would highly recommend Viv tours!

Hey, we were in the same van with you!!! We were the group of 6 sitting in the front! We all had a great time too! Glad to hear you had the same experience! I want to go back!!!

• 1 month later...
I am booked with VIV for this August...I know many of you have said you left your belongings on the bus, does that include passports, ids, wallets??

Yes, I left my valuables in the van too, but made sure they were not visible. I left my passport in the ship's safe and brought a copy with me. The doors are locked and they say the vans are watched. I don't believe I've heard that anyone has had their belongings stolen while von the excursion.

I'm interested in reading any reviews from people who have used VIV Tours for CaveTubing. I'm trying to decide between them and another tour company for my December cruise. I appreciate any comments!! :)

I know .bz is really popular, but I'm looking for something a little different.

Just used VIV Tours this month and they were excellent. Tubes are definitely clipped together, so no holding on to feet. Their tubes also have head rest and mesh bottoms so they are very comfortable. You have an air conditioned ride to the tubing area (which is also the same place you zip line if you choose their combo tour). The ride is about 40 - 50 minutes, but they tell you about the island as you travel, so it's a nice ride. With their combo tour, you also get an island lunch which was buffet style and very good.

They make the day very entertaining and fun, and I wouldn't hesitate booking with them again.

Archived