VIV Tours CaveTubing - Any reviews?

Dallen*

When we were there in March we had the VIV Cave Tubing scheduled but unfortunately my DW missed some steps in Roatan and broke her foot so we could not make the excurssion here. :mad: When we go t home after the cruise I sent an email just to let them know why we did not show and to my suprise they replied back with their concern on how she was doing. Not once but a couple times.:) So when we do get back there we will be using VIV for the cave tubing and now that the DW did the Zip lines in Roatan before breaking her foot might do the combo. :D

The Ump

John

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Belize February 2013, I will most likely book cave tubing with vivtours. My question to any of you who have done this is regarding tendering. Last year we were on Miracle, to a port that also tendered. Anyone that was booked with a Carnival excursion had priority tendering, the rest of us had to wait. Anyone on Dream remember if they did that too. Any problems getting off the ship, or if you got in que early you were able to get off early? Just curious how you all made out.

Thanks

Keep in mind that everyone who is going on their tour is in the same situation you are, so you needn't worry. I was on Carnival Valor, but it should be similar. Just meet at the designated place on the ship at or a little before the time they announce tendering will start. VIV has a list of everyone who has signed up and they will wait for you. They won't make money if they leave without you and the others on your ship. Now if you come to the tenders an hour late, there might be a problem....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
We are also thinking of VIV....my question is.... are you starving?? The others include lunch and this one does not...how did that work out for you?

I inquired about the tubing only,

I emailed VIV about the lunch and here is the response:

we will provide a lunch time, we do however not include lunch, you may purchase on your own, the guides will give you suugested places for lunch

The VIV websites states this:

Local Belizean Lunch is available at the Restaurant located at the Cave Park for $5.00 per person.

We are also thinking of VIV....my question is.... are you starving?? The others include lunch and this one does not...how did that work out for you?

It was no problem for us. We ate a big breakfast on the ship; there was plenty of time to digest before tubing. There are vendors at the park selling candy and snacks, so we picked something up there and just ate a late lunch/early dinner when we got back.

The outfits that include lunch do it after the tubing, so the difference between that and being on the ship is only 60-90 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We went cave tubing with VIV on July 3, 2012 and had an awesome time. Unfortunately I don’t have photos as my water camera broke on our first leg of our B2B while in Nassau.

We met our guides about 8:50am local time and left promptly at 9am. There were 10 total in our group and we had 2 guides. It was about a 45 minute ride to the park/cave system and our guides were fantastic. They told us all about the Belizean culture and showed us lots of photos of the country. Once we arrived at the park we were all fitted with life jackets and head gear. ***Side note - when you get your head gear, get one of the ones with the square light as these lights are 10 times brighter than the small circular lights which makes it easier to view stuff in the caves.*** All of your belongings will be locked in the van - no problems.

From the parking lot you will enter the trails for your 40 minute hike to the caves. We did not have to carry our tubes as VIV already had them up near the cave entrance for us. Wow! Bonus! You will walk down a long path...our guides pointed out a lot of interesting facts along the way. Shortly up the path there is a small creek which you will cross. It was easy to cross and there is also a guide rope for you to hold on to. Let me just say the water is a bit cool. The guides called it refreshing. Along the trail you will encounter some hills and rocks that you will need to climb over. If you have mobility issues...this is not the tour for you.

We got our tubes about 5 minutes before the cave entrance. The tubes were huge…bigger than the rest of the groups we saw carrying their tubes, probably 52" inches in diameter. They had handles on both sides, mesh bottoms, and had back and head rests.

The guides divided us up into two groups – groups of 6 and 4. You enter the water by jumping off of the dock into your tube – about 3 or 4 feet down. Once our group of four was in the water, our guide hooked us together with clips. I was hooked to my son’s tube in front of me and my partner on my right. No feet under armpits here.

We were in the water about an hour and a half. This was a great time. The stream winds through the rainforest and through two caves. One of the caves had a small waterfall in it. It was hard to see (unless you had the square head lamp like my son) but you could hear it. It was the rainy season when we were there so the streams were full. Only twice did we hear “butts up”. Our guides told us all about the ecosystem and the history of the caves and the Mayan people. Your tube time ends with you back at the original stream you crossed when you started your journey.

After walking back to the van, there is bathroom where you can change. There is a small shop with Belize t-shirts, snacks, and other souvenirs. Above the gift shop there is a small restaurant. We went up and got sodas as we were definitely thirsty…

We loved this tour and would definitely do it again. I highly recommend VIV tours.

Our recommendations –

1. Wear old sneakers – We wore $20 water shoes and our feet were killing us. The trail up to the cave is full of rocks, a complete river rock floor… I think we felt every rock on our feet. Water shoes are not meant for hiking! Next time I will wear my old sneakers and dispose of them there.
  2. Wear bug spray. We had Off with Deet. Never got bit. Some other people didn’t have bug spray and were bit by mosquitoes. Remember…this is the rainforest…yes…there are bugs!
  3. You can bring a bottle of water to drink while in your tube. It is Belize and it is hot.
  4. Bring a change of clothes. You don’t want to ride all the way back soaking wet in an air conditioned van.
  5. Get a helmet with the square light on it!
  6. Tip your guides! They do a great job…at least ours did.
  7. Have a

great vacation!

Forgot to mention...Our guides were Karim and Roca. They were fantastic!

Thanks so much!

2 questions...

Did you have to wait for the people doing the combo tour?

Did you have enough time to look around port upon your return?

Thanks!

Thanks so much!

2 questions...

Did you have to wait for the people doing the combo tour?

Did you have enough time to look around port upon your return?

Thanks!

When we went...VIV tours had two trips set up. One trip took only the cave tubers and the other took the combo tour. If your group of family and friends had some people who were cave tubing only and some doing the combo tour then you went with the combo tour. Your party stays together. They didn't put any cave tubing only partys in with the combo partys.

We had about an hour back at the port before the last tender. The port isn't very large and isn't our favorite place to shop. The t-shirts at the cave tubing park were much nicer and a much better quality than anything that we saw at the port. The t-shirts at the park were a couple dollars more...but definately worth the difference in price. At the port however...we love the Wet Lizard. Plenty of time to enjoy a cold beverage before you head back to the ship.

We love Belize and will be back there in two weeks.

Have a great vacation!

Archived