VIV Tours CaveTubing - Any reviews?

Dallen*

The guides divided us up into two groups – groups of 6 and 4. You enter the water by jumping off of the dock into your tube – about 3 or 4 feet down. Once our group of four was in the water, our guide hooked us together with clips. I was hooked to my son’s tube in front of me and my partner on my right. No feet under armpits here.

Kinda concerned about this part. I'm not a very small person. You actually jump down, or fall back... :eek: can you explain a little more?

Kinda concerned about this part. I'm not a very small person. You actually jump down, or fall back... :eek: can you explain a little more?

I am not a small person either. If you can handle the walk, which is not very difficult, you can handle the drop in the tube. I don't think it is any more than 3 feet and they hold the tube in place for you. You just fall backward into the tube. It's easier than trying to climb into the tube in the water.

Just go back from our cruise yesterday & the tubing through Viv Tours was excellent. We had a group of 16 and everyone loved it. The walk was quite long but not overly strenuous and I was beginning to wonder if we were ever going to get there but when we did it was definitely worth it. One of our group is someone who usually uses a cane for every day life and was able to do this walk. Do be aware though that there are steps & some have very big drops (some with & some without rails) so they're not your normal steps.

Our tubes were extremely comfortable with the headrests. I did a tubing adventure in Hawaii w/o the headrests & my neck & back did get sore while trying to hold myself up. The tubes through ViV are larger (I was able to see others in their tubes so was able to get a good idea of how ours compared) so your whole bottom can fit in the hole (there is a net bottom to it). The headrest was proportioned perfectly.

The bus ride was comfortable. The only thing that bothered me was that they did not have lockers so we did have to keep our belongings on the bus. They assured us they would keep it safe & that no one would bother it. Needless to say everything was fine when we returned.

I will try to upload photos within the next day or so.

Thanks for the review. 2 weeks we'll be with VIV. Was it hard dropping down into the tubes? (My only concern of the whole trip)

Not hard but it is part of that "trust issue" you need to participate in. They will have you stand up backwards to drop into the tube while they hold your hands. The tubes inner circle is large enough that your whole bottom will fit in so the tube is less likely to tip over. I've been having trouble uploading my pics & I do have one of someone positioned to drop in so if I can figure out uploading them I'll put a pic up for you to see.

Our group is very interested in doing the cavetubing with VIV tours and your review really helped. We are only in port from 10:30 - 6:00 and I am concerned this will not be enough time. I have contacted VIV and they said it would not be a problem. Based on your experience, do you think this is cutting it too close?

Our group is very interested in doing the cavetubing with VIV tours and your review really helped. We are only in port from 10:30 - 6:00 and I am concerned this will not be enough time. I have contacted VIV and they said it would not be a problem. Based on your experience, do you think this is cutting it too close?

They're jobs depend on the cruise lines and they know they have to get you back on time so I would say not to worry about it. I would suggest that you make sure you get off the ship asap to meet them. We actually weren't supposed to meet them until 9:30 and they were there waiting @ 9:00. An excellent experience. You'll luv it.

Here are some more photos. Take note: the path through the jungle is made of rocks/stones. You do need to wear some type of water shoes while on the tubes but you will want a type of shoe that has a decent bottom. The rocks on the path were very painful while walking if your shoes had thin bottoms. I had read a review about this & tried to get shoes with a thicker sole. I still had issues and many in my group commented on this as well. Maybe an old pair of tennies might make it more comfy for the walk.

068.jpg.94630f71b43d7484977a59f5c36665a9.jpg

091.jpg.75e9d22df61c2900d9c1b992e9b4bf93.jpg

169.jpg.5679af424c570a80bfa6080a7f1ad86a.jpg

224.jpg.f14164020dbb3d939b665ae4bee00f56.jpg

We also loved our day with VIV. The bus ride was about an hour either way. I napped on DH's shoulder. :D The caves were amazing!! Well worth the trip.

Here are some more photos. Take note: the path through the jungle is made of rocks/stones. You do need to wear some type of water shoes while on the tubes but you will want a type of shoe that has a decent bottom. The rocks on the path were very painful while walking if your shoes had thin bottoms. I had read a review about this & tried to get shoes with a thicker sole. I still had issues and many in my group commented on this as well. Maybe an old pair of tennies might make it more comfy for the walk.

It's funny you said this. We wore regular old water shoes. We ended up with so many bruises on the bottom of our feet. I researched and researched before we booked this tour but NOWHERE did anyone say anything about the rocks and stones we would have to walk on. Had I realized, I would have purchased thicker soled water sandals for all of us.

For those of you that did the zip line/ cave tubing combo, was there an opportunity between the zip line and cave tubing to change clothing? or at least the chance to shed outer clothing and lock it in the van before hitting the river? I'm not thrilled about the thought of zip lining in a bathing suit, I'd like to wear shorts and a t-shirt over my swim suit to zip and then leave it in the van before we cave tube. Is that possible?

We just went to Belize last week and did the Cave Tubing tour with Rock. He was a great tour guide. I would recommend bringing some snacks from the ship as it does end up being a long day and there isn't much to eat where the cave tubing begins and ends. We did feel a little rushed after our trip to get back in the van to get back to the port. For the money we paid $40 per person for the three of us it was worth our time. I would also recommend purchasing one of those water proof cameras. That was something I didn't think of and wish I was told to do so as we don't have many photos from our cave tubing. I would also recommend one of those wet suite tops they sell now for sun protection as the water was cool this time of year.

who did you book with for $40 per person?

CAVE TUBING

We had booked privately online with VIV tours for around 55 each ( memory) fails me here.

At the pier they were well identified and as soon as a group was put together they walked us to a comfortable mini bus. 75 minutes later we arrived at the large cave tubing place where all the companies come together, change rooms and toilets were numerous and clean.

We rented water shoes and took off with our guide for a rather long walk along a trail in the jungle. Our tubes had been sent ahead to the departure point in the river. We did have to cross the river twice and it had a bit of a tug. The guide was very helpful to Pierre and was thanked appropriately!

The tubes were SUPER comfortable with. bottom netting and a good headrest . The trip down the river into the caves was slow and the scenery amazing. There again our guide worked his butt off to keep us moving.

Back at the center we had a quick Caribbean lunch and got back on the bus for the return to the ship in plenty of time.

• 3 months later...

Hello, we are just off Dream and used VIV tours for Cave Tubing while in Belize, It was fantastic. We wore sneakers, I have very bad knees and knew if I was going to make it I would need decent shoes. We had a couple kids in our group, probably about 10 or 12 years old and they did fine too. The hike is about 30 to 40 minutes, it was humid but not too hot, with a shower here and there. They carry your tubes most of the way, which is a major bonus. We saw a tarantula on the hike, if they don't offer it ask. I really wanted to see one and they will coax one out of a hole for you to see. Dropping backward into the tube was not as hard as I thought it would be. The whole experience was wonderful, I was quite anxious about feeling claustrophobic in the caves, had meds in my pocket just in case. I was fine, didn't take the Xanax, at the smallest area of the caves the ceiling is about ten feet above you. The whole time it just felt like being in a room.

The independent companies are so very aware of how important it is to get you back to the ship on time, their future depends on it. We were in port at 8:00, arrived in more than enough time. Just arrive to tender early, we were on the first one. There is nothing to do really at the port so we were back on board with an hour and a half to spare.

I recommend VIV for sure, would use them again.

Just got off the Conquest on Sunday. We did cave tubing through VIV. Very informative tour guide. He tried to coax a tarantula out of her hole but no dice she wouldn't come out. Fine by me would rather not see it.

I made the mistake of wearing water shoes. BIG MISTAKE. Next time I'm wearing sneakers. I felt every rock as we walked and I was the slowest in the group because it was hurting my feet. Despite that I enjoyed walking through the rainforest and taking pictures and such.

The trip through the caves was so fun/interesting/informative/relaxing all rolled into one. Half way down the river my dad accidently kicked the the neck pillow thingie on the tube which caused the plug to pop out so it deflated and I had to hold my head up on my own.

My only complaint was that we told our guide we wanted to be back at port by 330. Last tender was scheduled to leave at 4 and we wanted to make sure we were back. He said no problem.

However we waited well over a half hour for two people that were on the list to be in our group but they never showed up. I understand waiting 10 minutes but I wouldn't go longer than that since VIV sends you a confirmation on what time to meet them.

Then after we hiked to the spot where we were supposed to get in the river the guys with the tubes were not there. They had gone to the wrong spot. So our guide had us wait while he went to the other spot to get them and our tubes. That again was another 20 minutes. Then finally after we were done it was 20 minutes before we left to head back to port. It was 415 when we got dropped off. Luckily there was still a line of people waiting to get on tenders so we didn't get left back.

My parents caved tubed before in Belize with a different company and almost got left because they didn't get them back to port in time.

For my peace of mind the next time I cave tube I plan on paying the extra money and doing it through the cruise line.

My only complaint was that we told our guide we wanted to be back at port by 330. Last tender was scheduled to leave at 4 and we wanted to make sure we were back. He said no problem.

However we waited well over a half hour for two people that were on the list to be in our group but they never showed up. I understand waiting 10 minutes but I wouldn't go longer than that since VIV sends you a confirmation on what time to meet them.

Then after we hiked to the spot where we were supposed to get in the river the guys with the tubes were not there. They had gone to the wrong spot. So our guide had us wait while he went to the other spot to get them and our tubes. That again was another 20 minutes. Then finally after we were done it was 20 minutes before we left to head back to port. It was 415 when we got dropped off. Luckily there was still a line of people waiting to get on tenders so we didn't get left back.

My parents caved tubed before in Belize with a different company and almost got left because they didn't get them back to port in time.

For my peace of mind the next time I cave tube I plan on paying the extra money and doing it through the cruise line.

Hmmm...thanks for letting us know about this! I hope it isn't a regular occurance with them! I am going on March 20, so I guess I will find out.

We did the cavetubing in January with VIV Tours and it was fabulous! We learned so much about Belize history and culture on the drive out to the site. The jungle hike was very interesting and we didn't have to carry the big tubes until the very end. We saw beautiful scenery and a dry cave first before entering the water. After the caves we enjoyed a leisurely float down the river. Our guides were very careful about the time and we were able to visit a local restaurant for a Belizean lunch of rice and beans and stewed chicken, plus a Belizean beer. It was the best excursion I have been on! I highly recommend VIV tours.

We had a very large guy with us when we did this trip last year. He had zero trouble with the falling into the tube. Its one of those things that just doesnt live up to all of the hype :)

• 3 weeks later...
Just got off the Conquest on Sunday. We did cave tubing through VIV. Very informative tour guide. He tried to coax a tarantula out of her hole but no dice she wouldn't come out. Fine by me would rather not see it.

I made the mistake of wearing water shoes. BIG MISTAKE. Next time I'm wearing sneakers. I felt every rock as we walked and I was the slowest in the group because it was hurting my feet. Despite that I enjoyed walking through the rainforest and taking pictures and such.

The trip through the caves was so fun/interesting/informative/relaxing all rolled into one. Half way down the river my dad accidently kicked the the neck pillow thingie on the tube which caused the plug to pop out so it deflated and I had to hold my head up on my own.

May I ask what time your tour started? Trying to decide if I want to book Viv now since I liked everything I've read about them thus far. Thanks.

WOW that's a bit scary for me since I"m overweight (& will probably be scary for them as well!) do you just fall back into the tube or what?

We went with V.I.V. yesterday, don't be worried about getting in the tube. DH is over 300 and I am over 250 and we had no problems. We did have to "fall back" into the tube but it was no big deal. Our guide Roberto was great. The life jackets fit fine as well. Plus V.I.V. has the biggest tubes as far as I can tell, they were very comfortable.

We went with V.I.V. yesterday, don't be worried about getting in the tube. DH is over 300 and I am over 250 and we had no problems. We did have to "fall back" into the tube but it was no big deal. Our guide Roberto was great. The life jackets fit fine as well. Plus V.I.V. has the biggest tubes as far as I can tell, they were very comfortable.

Thank you so much for your post! I'd really like to do this excursion but was a bit worried. Thanks again looking forward to it! :)

Archived