Pre-cruise obsession

Sonicked

I was packed 4 months before we left for Europe. My husband packed 3 days before. We were gone for 14 days on that trip.

For our last cruise my wonderful husband booked our cruise 13 days before it left. I had to pack for myself and both my daughters in that amount of time. I thought I was going nuts. I did pretty well, I didn't overpack much. I ran into problems when the kids didn't want to eat dinner with us so didn't need their dinner clothes.

For our upcoming cruise in November I've already started my list of items to bring and have booked all our excursions.

So, to answer your question. You are not alone.

• 2 months later...

I'm sailing in Feb, too - the 10th - and I go through phases. I'm finalizing my port stuff, because I like to get the big details settled early. Next - I'm going to start shopping! End of season sales are the best!

We have NEVER bought cruise insurance, just too optimistic to think we will ever need it and too cheap to buy it. But every time we book one about a month before we sail I start worring I'm going to get in a car wreck, or have a stroke or some other crazy thing like that and I'll miss our cruise. I don't relax again until I'm on the ship with a big fat bucket of beer =o)

We have NEVER bought cruise insurance, just too optimistic to think we will ever need it and too cheap to buy it. But every time we book one about a month before we sail I start worring I'm going to get in a car wreck, or have a stroke or some other crazy thing like that and I'll miss our cruise. I don't relax again until I'm on the ship with a big fat bucket of beer =o)

I'm the same way. Once it's too late to get the full refund, I start worrying too. Our first year, I was hospitalized weeks before our cruise with illness, and I think that ever since then I am a little overprotective and obsessive about my health before cruising. LOL. After we get on the ship, and I have that first shot of Tequila...all is good.:eek::D

I hate insurance, BUT, I do buy cruise insurance. Only used it once, but it works wonders for my peace of mind.

john

We have older immediate family and teenage children...so you never truly know. The peace of mind that it gives to someone with as much OCD as me makes it worth every penny.

And as soon as my oldest leaves for college next weekend, I can stop "doing" her dorm room and start planning for our cruise...only a "few" days left. It is sneaking up on me!

:)

Donna

• 1 month later...

Just HOW expensive are they in the US? :confused:

We have a year-round travel insurance which costs about $100 per person a year. It's valid whenever we are on our way anywhere except to work (that's when are covered by our employer's insurance).

Just HOW expensive are they in the US? :confused:

We have a year-round travel insurance which costs about $100 per person a year. It's valid whenever we are on our way anywhere except to work (that's when are covered by our employer's insurance).

Sounds like a great deal. Canadian insurance is horendous!:eek:

john

• 1 month later...
I have come up to CC everyday to check out what's going on. This is a first cruise for hubby and the kids, my second. I think I'm more excited than they are. I want to make sure we have the best vacation/holiday possible. We are cruising during Christmas.

I hope y'all have a wonderful cruise! If I had the money, I would love to surprise my kids with a cruise! One day!

Donna

• 3 months later...

i've been doing nothing but this since before my bf and i actually even decided on and booked our cruise! he thinks i'm crazy, but i can't help it. not that i really mind even... i just like to have things planned and know more or less what's happening!

• 1 month later...

In February, we booked our next cruise in Jan 2014 and have been thinking about it non-stop. Actually already came up with multiple lists of every kind and prepared a reference manual on hotel, possible excursion activities at each ports of call, flights, etc. Currently researching where I could find cruise apparel in Ottawa, Canada. Not obvious to find in the middle of winter, when all retail stores have are heavy winter clothes.

I think that researching and planning is part of the whole "pleasantness" of the experience. I am a "planner" so for me this is fun. :)

Last time we cruised, I started packing a couple of months prior to departure. My spouse on the other hand started 3 days prior.....

Archived