Carnival Dream, in Review 8/27-9/3

melli_fera

The pictures are a couple posts up. We were watching from the boat launch just next to the bar, post your pictures, maybe I'm in one of them!

I'm embarassed to say that I am not sure how to post pictures here! :o It has to be easy...can anyone help me out?

We had late seating for dinner, my preference, and our luggage showed up at 7:30. We decided to just go as we were because we wouldn’t have enough time. I prefer assigned seating when I’m traveling with only one friend. It’s fun to meet new people and, I don’t recall ever getting any bad tablemates, not that I’ve cruised very often though. We were seated in the Crimson Dining Room.

Our head waiter was Zubin from India

IMG_4993.JPG

Our bar waiter was Jason from South Africa, who was very fun, outgoing and a little player flirt. Melted this girl’s heart I tell you. LOL.

IMG_5139.JPG

I don't have a picture of our assitant waiter, Mayang from Phillipines, but he was great too. They each provided excellent service.

Up next...NASSAU

Loved Zubin! We had him on the Elation in February - he managed our large group of 20+ (3 tables) excellently - the last night he showed us a picture of his girls back home.

We cruise next week - so maybe we will see him again!

Can't wait to read your review and compare notes!!!

We just got off the same cruise. What a horrible experience! There was nothing fun with gangs of unruly kids running every where. The only people I could think of who could have enjoyed this cruise were the parents who turned their little monsters lose on everyone else!:mad:

Wow! I was on the same cruise and hardly noticed the kids????? Maybe because we had a spa room and never went to the pool area? I did see some kids when going from the Serenity area to the buffett area, but that was because you pass through the waterworks area.

Maggie

I'm embarassed to say that I am not sure how to post pictures here! :o It has to be easy...can anyone help me out?

You have to host the pictures on an outside website, I use webshots but there are many other options. Then you need to copy the "forum code" from the picture which you paste into your post.

Ditto... i hardly saw any of the 1100 kids on board.

I noticed them only b/c I was watching out for mine to make sure he was being respectful. (which he was every time I "accidentally" bumped into him) The main craziness was Deck 4 at the entrance to Club O2 & Circle C. I would blame Carnival for not having a curfew and having so many unsupervised activities.

Melissa, I can't wait to go read more! We had the best time, and we had an awesome roll call!!!!

Since we had a very short stay in Nassau, we decided to book our excursion through CCL. Also, since it was a short day, EVERYONE on the ship headed down to the gangway at 8AM. It was mayhem. We weren’t cleared until about 8:30 and people just kept filling the stairwells, the elevator lobbies, etc. Once the line started moving, it moved fast, but queuing up was less than pleasant. Thankfully, this was the only experience we had like this when arriving in port.

There were FIVE other ships in port that day.

IMG_4778.JPG

Look how tiny NCL Sky is next to RCL Oasis of the Seas (on the right)!

We found the person holding the sign for us. We were heading to Blue Lagoon with people who were doing the beach excursion at BL. The people with beach passes got wrist bands right away before boarding the ferry. We were told we’d get our wrist bands when we arrived at Blue Lagoon. This made me nervous, as, they didn’t have or ask for our names or anything.

We boarded the Caribbean Queen for a 20-25 minute ride to Blue Lagoon. The ride there was pleasant enough. We went by Atlantis and some gorgeous homes. Here (as we were told) is Oprah Winfrey’s house on the left, and her GUEST house on the right.

IMG_4806.JPG

We got to Blue Lagoon at a little before 10:00 and our dolphin encounter didn’t start until 11, so we were allowed to have use of the beach for that hour. We swam for a while and I rested in a hammock. I could have stayed there all day!

IMG_4791.JPG

We still hadn’t received our wrist bands and when we went over to the dolphin area to wait for our group to start we waited for a little while before getting the wrist bands. It actually went off without a hitch, though we, and the other people in our group were anxious to get the wrist bands.

The encounter started in a little outdoor theater where we were taught a little about dolphin behavior and anatomy and about the facility where their dolphins were born and raised. From there, we were led down to an area to lock our personal belongings (included in fee) and get into the water. We were lead onto a floating dock that was open in the middle. The trainer had our dolphin, Salvador do some tricks in the middle of the square dock and then they had us take some pictures, one family at a time, on the submerged platform. Then the real encounter began. In groups of 10, people went to the submerged platform and got a chance to pet, feed, kiss, hug, and dance with the dolphin.

dolphin%252520hug.jpg

dolphin%252520kiss.jpg

We got squeezed into the last group of 10 (making it a group of 14). Once we were finished, we had to rush up to get our things and to the gift shop for our photos because we had to catch the ferry back by 12:30. It was about 12:05 at that point. The folks at Dolphin encounters got in touch with our ferry and had them wait for us, which was great. They even pulled over to the adjacent dock to pick us up (they were docked over near the beach).

The ride back to Nassau was more fun. The boat captain pointed out different homes and 2 islands that are supposedly owned by Eddie Murphy. The ride there was silent, but the ride back was better.

IMG_4814.JPG

Embarkation at Nassau was HOT and the lines were LONG. Again, we only experienced this with the Nassau stop. Didn’t do any shopping in port because we were paranoid about getting back to the ship. Hurricane Irene had passed through just 2 days prior, and apparently the straw market suffered some heavy damage. I saw the tent caved in and torn. I heard from other guests that there was still merchandise in there. I hope they recover quickly.

Up next, Ship photos at sea and St. Thomas.

Enjoying the review so far! We leave on the Dream, same itinerary in 5 days!!

Do you recall what movies were showing on the lido big screen?

Hello fellow parrott head!

The movies were Gnomeo & Juliet, Hop, Green Hornet, Just Go With It, I am Number Four, Mars Needs Moms, Rango, Scooby Doo - Curse of the Lake Monster.

There were also several concerts showing throughout the week. Let me know if you'd like the list.

I noticed them only b/c I was watching out for mine to make sure he was being respectful. (which he was every time I "accidentally" bumped into him) The main craziness was Deck 4 at the entrance to Club O2 & Circle C. I would blame Carnival for not having a curfew and having so many unsupervised activities.

Melissa, I can't wait to go read more! We had the best time, and we had an awesome roll call!!!!

Kari, I agree!!! I had great luck avoiding the teen/tween crowds. Just takes a little common sense. I didn't encounter ANY behavior that I didn't reasonably expect from kids. The serenity deck is a GODSEND!

I was so happy to have met some great people through CC and, finally, in person on board. I'd love to sail again with you guys!

I have to admit, I was having anxiety over booking this ship because of its size and the complaints about crowds, but I found that MY experience didn't include any of the negativity I've read on here.

some of the concerts included Justin Bieber, Michael Jackson, Journey, Cher, Tom Jones, Sheryl Crow...

WOW! No wonder prettygril thought he kids were restless... For a teen or a tween, that's a boring lineup of acts.:D No SkiBeatz, no Pretty, No Airborne Toxic, no Nicki Minaj, no Lady Gaga! :eek:

Thanks for the review melli_fara, I was wondering how Dreamers fared during the post Irene trip. Glad you had a great cruise! :)

Thanks for the Blue Lagoon info - we are going there Sunday! We went in 1998 and in 2000 on a different cruise ship - and this was the one thing my DH wanted to do on this cruise. He doesn't even own a swimsuit or a pair of shorts, but he loved lying in the hammock!

Interestingly, in 1998, the excursion (with lunch) was included in the cruise fare. In 2000, it was $25pp - now it's close to $80pp!

Hello fellow parrott head!

The movies were Gnomeo & Juliet, Hop, Green Hornet, Just Go With It, I am Number Four, Mars Needs Moms, Rango, Scooby Doo - Curse of the Lake Monster.

There were also several concerts showing throughout the week. Let me know if you'd like the list.

Thank you! It looks like the movies are definitely geared towards kids! I'm a bit disappointed!

Thanks for the Blue Lagoon info - we are going there Sunday! We went in 1998 and in 2000 on a different cruise ship - and this was the one thing my DH wanted to do on this cruise. He doesn't even own a swimsuit or a pair of shorts, but he loved lying in the hammock!

Interestingly, in 1998, the excursion (with lunch) was included in the cruise fare. In 2000, it was $25pp - now it's close to $80pp!

I remember going to Blue Lagoon as part of my Big Red Boat cruise. Things like those included excursions are why Premier went under. Among others were the free transfer from MCO, the huge lobster tails at dinner and skeet shooting off the back of the ship (directly behind the bar :eek:).

The encounter started in a little outdoor theater where we were taught a little about dolphin behavior and anatomy and about the facility where their dolphins were born and raised. From there, we were led down to an area to lock our personal belongings (included in fee) and get into the water. We were lead onto a floating dock that was open in the middle. The trainer had our dolphin, Salvador do some tricks in the middle of the square dock and then they had us take some pictures, one family at a time, on the submerged platform. Then the real encounter began. In groups of 10, people went to the submerged platform and got a chance to pet, feed, kiss, hug, and dance with the dolphin.

Love, love, LOVING your review so far. It's been almost a year since we have sailed the Dream and I still think about her every day. :)

Question about the Dolphin encounter. Would you recommend or suggest this to someone who cannot swim but is comfortable standing waist deep in water? I'm thinking of this for my mom and I in January but just want to know if her comfort level will be met. :)

Do you know how often bingo was offered? We will be on the ship in Oct. and can't wait. I love your review and pictures.

Hey Fluffy! Bingo was offered daily, I believe. When I go home tonight, I'll look through my Fun Times and confirm.

Love, love, LOVING your review so far. It's been almost a year since we have sailed the Dream and I still think about her every day. :)

Question about the Dolphin encounter. Would you recommend or suggest this to someone who cannot swim but is comfortable standing waist deep in water? I'm thinking of this for my mom and I in January but just want to know if her comfort level will be met. :)

Thanks Jo!!! Sometimes while I'm writing, I wonder, does anyone even care about my vacation? It's great to hear the encouragement.

I think that someone who doesn't swim can certainly do the dolphin encounter IMO. Keep in mind that you're on a submerged platform, and that the water is deeper than the platform is. There *is* a possibility of falling in, but it's not likely. Any time the dolphin is up on the platform, you're kneeling, or crouched down. Not sure if they have vests for people who are uncomfortable, but none of the children were wearing vests (and the water was deep for some of them on the platform). It was the experience of a lifetime for me. I'm glad I did it. (waiting to get my underwater camera pics developed).

Melissa is right! Your mom should be fine. My 6y/o did it w/me a few years ago (he was a little nervous at that time about swimming). He was totally fine and it is an experience of a lifetime!!! Can't wait to go again someday:D

Loving your review. So glad you had fun with the dolphins. Aren't they amazing. We are on the Dream over Thanksgiving and I've been a little worried with some of the negative reviews. Can't wait to see what you did in St Martin and St Thomas. Thanks for all of the great info!!! Did you bring back the capers, err funtimes? We are doing the late seating and I'm worried about missing activities! Thanks again!!!

My review (short) is also posted for this cruise. To see the Sail-away go to youtube. The great people at portcanaveralwebcam.com posted the video. I am with my family at the rear of the ship. Melli we really enjoyed your review and pics.

Archived