Question regarding Grand Asia cruise

Martyjac

We're departing Seattle on 9/26 for our first stop in Russia as part of our Grand Asia 70-day trip. Might anyone tell us how the weather is crossing over? Might we expect rough seas in the northern Pacific at this time of year??

Based on what happened last year, the answer is yes. The first night out it got so rough that we had to take the bottles off the dresser and put them in the round hammock to stop them from falling to the deck. That lasted for about 3 days. The first port, Petropavlosk, was cold and rainy. It was also a tender port and that along with surly Russian immigration officials convinced us to stay aboard. After that we had wonderful weather for the rest of the cruise. But right now in the Seattle area we are having the Summer weather we missed in June and July, so who knows what it will be like in 3 weeks.

In 2002 aboard the Volendam when she did the Asia Pacific cruise and our first port after departing from Vancouver was Petropavlosk, we also experienced rough seas starting soon after we got into the open Pacific Ocean, west of Vancouver Island. Off and on for several days, the ocean was in motion. If the ship is pitching in heavy seas, be sure to get to the Crow's Nest and watch as the bow rises on the waves and falls into the troughs. It's a view I will never forget!

Petropavlosk was an interesting port to me. Yes, the Immigration Officials were not the most friendly in the world, but the people of the community were welcoming and glad to have us tourists. There was a welcoming ceremony on the dock where the tenders came in with folks dressed in their native costume offering bread and salt to welcome visitors along with a small musical group.

Enjoy your cruise! It is a grand adventure! And, my 2002 cruise on the Volendam remains my favorite cruise even after sailing on one and one-quarter world cruises.

On the 2007 cruise it was rough for about 5 days until we snuck into Unimak Strait to find calmer waters. A lot of pitch, with waves hitting the ship on the starboard from the north. What is called "hogging" made a lot of unpleasant noise for those forward on the starboard side. Cold, some rain on the crossing. A few whales here and there, too!

You can expect good cruising weather until the east coast of Australia.

Loved Petropavlosk, a great liitle town to wander around in. Make sure you see the Lenin statue and the GUM department store.

This is a wonderful, wonderful cruise! Enjoy.

We're departing Seattle on 9/26 for our first stop in Russia as part of our Grand Asia 70-day trip. Might anyone tell us how the weather is crossing over? Might we expect rough seas in the northern Pacific at this time of year??

Martyjac

On the roll call for this cruise we have people on this cruise for the second - third & fourth time. They can also answer your questions.

Ray

In 2002 aboard the Volendam when she did the Asia Pacific cruise and our first port after departing from Vancouver was Petropavlosk, we also experienced rough seas starting soon after we got into the open Pacific Ocean, west of Vancouver Island. Off and on for several days, the ocean was in motion. If the ship is pitching in heavy seas, be sure to get to the Crow's Nest and watch as the bow rises on the waves and falls into the troughs. It's a view I will never forget!

Petropavlosk was an interesting port to me. Yes, the Immigration Officials were not the most friendly in the world, but the people of the community were welcoming and glad to have us tourists. There was a welcoming ceremony on the dock where the tenders came in with folks dressed in their native costume offering bread and salt to welcome visitors along with a small musical group.

Enjoy your cruise! It is a grand adventure! And, my 2002 cruise on the Volendam remains my favorite cruise even after sailing on one and one-quarter world cruises.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed Crystal was not named as one of your cruise lines. We love Holland the best, and though Crystal is about 40% higher in cost, it is a fabulous cruise. The Philipino kids are as nice as the Indonesians on Holland. The Broadway shows on Crystal gave us chills, that good. The food is a tight race. The dining room goes to Crystal, the Lido to Holland. If you ever can, try Crystal just once.

Archived