Does the ipad 2 with 3g work on the ship?

bebob

Does anyone know if we'll be able to use our ipad 2 with the 3g international connection on the ship without purchasing the ship wi-fi connection?

You better hope not since you will pay a lot for data since the ship cells don't care what plan you have, you pay a lot for data.

Glad you posted this because I plan to take my iPad 2 on my 9/17 cruise.

There's some info here

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2011/07/what-a-dog-does-when-its-cold/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1373330

(actually the first one was a "mis-paste", but it's so short and cute I left it there!)

The best I can gather is that you can use the G3 in port and very near to shore, but otherwise there is some kind of cell transmitter that charges $2.49/min.

I am by no means sure of the extra charge; I'm still researching. But as far as I can tell, the iPad operates like a 3G cell phone and not like a laptop.

Correct - the iPad 3G is like a cell phone. You can use it in and near cities where there is cell phone service (expensive roaming rates will apply if you are overseas, of course). But in the middle of the sea, where the only telecommunications link between the ship and the rest of the world is via satellite, you cannot use it unless you pay for a cell or wi-fi connection via the ship's satellite link (which is why using the Internet on a ship is so expensive).

Internet packages:

100 minutes for $55 plus $3.95 start up charge.

250 minutes for $100 plus $3.95 start up charge.

$0.75 per minute.

Buy package first day of the cruise and get 10 free minutes for 100 minute package. Buy the 250 minute package first day and get 20 bonus minutes.

These rates apply whether using your own laptop/netbook/device or the ship's computers in Explorations Cafe.

My data roaming turns off automatically when I am outside Canada and cannot be used even in port.

However, I found that on our recent Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam, when we were cruising the BC portion of the inside passage, I got a shore signal for the phone (Bell) and my 3G was usable. As soon as we got further north and left Canadian waters it shut off. As a general rule though there is no 3G signal at sea. You can use your Ipad by signing on the ship's wireless network for a fee.

Archived