Price drop experts wanted!

GLCAS

I usually book my cruises last minute and get great deals. However, this year , we are looking at going in January and getting something this month (Sept). If we book and our last payment is only in November, and the price drops, are we able to take advantage of this drop? :confused:

I usually book my cruises last minute and get great deals. However, this year , we are looking at going in January and getting something this month (Sept). If we book and our last payment is only in November, and the price drops, are we able to take advantage of this drop? :confused:
First, pricing in January, particularly the first two weeks, is generally very low to start with. Second, if the ship still has a lot of cabins available after final payment, they'll have what's called a "flash" sale which is for new bookings only. You'd have to cancel, take the penalty, and rebook. Princess doesn't have non-flash sales after final payment very often and if they did and you are eligible, you'd get an OBC.

Your options are to wait and take a chance that Princess will have a flash sale (they may or may not) or book now and get the current price, which is probably already a good one. If you're using a discount TA, you'll save money over the Princess prices. If you aren't, you should.

first, pricing in january, particularly the first two weeks, is generally very low to start with. Second, if the ship still has a lot of cabins available after final payment, they'll have what's called a "flash" sale which is for new bookings only. You'd have to cancel, take the penalty, and rebook. Princess doesn't have non-flash sales after final payment very often and if they did and you are eligible, you'd get an obc.

Your options are to wait and take a chance that princess will have a flash sale (they may or may not) or book now and get the current price, which is probably already a good one. If you're using a discount ta, you'll save money over the princess prices. If you aren't, you should.

this!

I generally start looking at potential cruises by searching the major travel websites for the dates that fit our schedules. Then I go to the specific cruise line's website to see if there are any better offers due to our being past passengers. If I find one that the price looks good, I will do a quote request on a website that lets various travel agencies compete for your business. And finally, I call my travel agent to see what his price is. It's usually within a few dollars of the best price I've received through the quotes.

If prices look good before the final payment date, I'll go ahead and have him book it. For instance, we wanted to fit in a pre-Christmas cruise this year. Prices for balcony cabins looked pretty good on the Crown Princess. They've since gone up more than $200 per person on the Princess website--and that's for a lower category than what we've booked. The final payment date is a little less than a month away.

Last year, however, we took a Christmas cruise on the Island Princess that I booked in August when prices seemed to be as good as they were going to be considering the holiday. But a couple of days later, they dropped $200 per person. I had that cruise booked directly with Princess at the time since we were on a cruise. The future cruise consultant got us the lower price. And when I got home, my TA was able to do even better on the price plus give us some onboard credit.

In other words, you can never tell when prices are going to go up or go down. But if it's before final payment, you can get the better price (as long as you did not book one of the specials that had a nonrefundable deposit).

I have a cruise booked for September 25, Cat AE guarantee. Two weeks ago, a month or so after final payment was due, I noticed the price for category AD was cheaper than I paid for an AE. I called Princess and they happily changed my reservation to an AD guarantee and refunded my credit card the $406 difference. Assigned a category AC cabin which is what I expected. I booked directly with Princess as when I originally booked I checked on line and brick and mortar travel agents and Princess had the cheaper price. I also do not like having a middle man between me and the supplier.

Archived