Advice on a world cruise

Scrapnana

For 15 years I have been planning to take a world cruise when I retire. Unfortunately, I don't know anybody who shares my dream, can be away for three months and has the money to pay for the cruise -- so I will be a solo cruiser (with the single supplement it limits my choices). Now that it is getting to the planning stage I have a lot of questions. I will stagger the questions over the next few months and see what I can learn.

Question 1 -- For those who have cruised around the world, what cruise line did you use and what were the pros and cons of that line?

Haven't been on a world cruise but in regards to your single supplement issue a few cruise lines do have a single share guarantee. HAL and Princess are 2. You would have to check that it applies to a world cruise. You may not wish to share with someone you wouldn't know beforehand. Sometimes there may not be someone to share with but you still cruise at the double rate. May be something to look into if you wish.

Question 1 -- For those who have cruised around the world, what cruise line did you use and what were the pros and cons of that line?

We have been on three world cruises with Holland America and will be going on our fourth this winter. Obviously we like HAL.

I cannot answer a question as general as the one you have posed, without writing a tome. And this I do not have time to do.

Ask a specific question and I will be glad to answer as best I can.

Scott & Karen

Some of the cruise lines that offer World Cruises include Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, HAL, Princess, and Cunard. I may have left a couple off.

We have taken three of them; all with Crystal Cruises.

Best advice is whatever line you pick to try the cruise line out on a much shorter cruise and if possible even the same ship to get a sense of whether or not you like the line and/or ship. Also, some of the lines I mentioned give discounts if you are a past cruiser.

I agree with Scott and Karen. I think you need to narrow down your question. I also think you need to figure out what cruise line(s) you might be interested in. You could start by looking them up and then seeing which ones would even fit your budget.

Keith

Archived