Hawaii-Tahiti Cruise: How Formal?

SilvertoGold

We did this cruise last March and will repeat this coming March. It was that good!!!! We would judge true Tuxes to be perhaps 35% to 40%, dark suits perhaps 40% to 45% and the rest sport coats and slacks. All,of course with collared shirts and ties. There were several Polynesian nights but not on formal nights. For the ladies, translate what was said about the men. many ladies wore pants with a sparkly top. Weather tended to be warm but the ship was kept comfortably cool.

RonJoan

:) We did this cruise 3 years ago. It was a really great trip. Any of the longer cruises seem to have more tuxes showing up in the dining room. But a dark suit will also work.

Were we on the same cruise? We did this cruise in Jan 2008.

You are right, there were a few more tuxes, but we wore the same level of formal we wear on all cruises and didn't feel out of place. DH wore a jacket/tie and I wore cocktail dresses.

We didn't have any Polynesian nights on our cruise or any regional dishes. There were on-shore dancers at one of the ports for the sail away - can't remember which one but the kids were very cute. And, at one or two ports local entertainment came on board to provide the show that night... very good. Some on our cruise have since repeated this trip two or three times - it really is a great cruise.

There are so many conflicting reports by posters on the amount of

of tuxedos on formal days--I do not believe any of the observations--so

no tux for me on the hawaiian cruise--I think I will spend one evening counting tuxs. I will wear island formal--aloha shirts and maybe a loud dinner coat if I can find one with tropical flowers on it--that way I wll comply with the coat SUGGESTION--also do you know there are tuxedo shirts without collars.:rolleyes:

BG

no tux for me on the hawaiian cruise--I think I will spend one evening counting tuxs. I will wear island formal--aloha shirts and maybe a loud dinner coat if I can find one with tropical flowers on it--that way I wll comply with the coat SUGGESTION--also do you know there are tuxedo shirts without collars.:rolleyes:

BG

BG,

if you find any of those loud dinner coats, lemme know! I love loud and we're hitting the 30 day cruise next fall and I'd love to be so loud I'd show up on a satellite photo! Well, I typically do already but never in a jacket!

Derek

Yes, I do! ;) These type of "collars" are called "mandarin" or "stand-up" collars! ;) (And they are difficult to find here above the 49th.!) :(

Archived