Going on Canival Splendor October 7th

stephaniemason0316

We are cruising on Canival Splendor 10/7-10/16 (can't wait by the way!). This will be our first Carnival trip and so I was wondering if there any tips and "secret" things we should know about this cruise line. Anything will help!!! Also we are going to Manzillano, Puarta Villarta, Ensenda, and Cabo... what are the best things to do there, beaches to hang out at, and things to see there? Thanks for anything you can offer!:D:cool::rolleyes::)

We are cruising on Canival Splendor 10/7-10/16 (can't wait by the way!). This will be our first Carnival trip and so I was wondering if there any tips and "secret" things we should know about this cruise line. Anything will help!!! Also we are going to Manzillano, Puarta Villarta, Ensenda, and Cabo... what are the best things to do there, beaches to hang out at, and things to see there? Thanks for anything you can offer!:D:cool::rolleyes::)

You must mean the 9th? Splendor runs Sunday to Sunday and I will be on it October 2 to 9th. Wish I knew great things to tell you to do, however its my first time going myself so I will be figuring it out as I go :)

Have a great trip

OH wait you are going on the 9 day cruise!!! That is actually on the Spirit. I am thinking of that one in my future!!!

Cheryl

Since it appears, as others have said, that you are on the Spirit 9-day (the Splendor only does 7-day leaving on Sundays) have a look at my pics from the link in my signature from our last Spirit cruise. We will also be on her again 2 weeks after you. Have a great cruise, the Spirit is a great ship!

The spirit is not as nice as the splendor in our opinion. Enjoy your cruise and make sure you visit the steakhouse, its fabulous.

We did a similar 8-day trip on the Spirit back in 2008, and had a great time. The ports have shifted due to drug violence in Mexico, so we went to Acapulco, Manzanillo, and Zihuatanejo. I've been to Ensenada before (is this what you mean when you write "Ensenda" or was it somewhere else?), but it was no big deal. There's the blowhole to see, and a few beaches, but the town was not all that great. We definitely enjoyed Manzanillo, and one of the highlights for our kids there was to release baby turtles into the wild. I don't know how much you've searched around the Cruise Critic boards, but definitely look at the "Mexican Riveria" section on the Ports of Call area on this website. It's a treasure trove of information!

The Spirit is a lovely ship and you should have a terrific voyage on her.

We have been on both ships this year, the Spirit to Alaska and the Splendor to Mexico. We enjoyed the Spirit much more, we thought the service and food was better and the smaller ship was nicer.

We agree, we're on the Spirit next month and have been on her once before, the flow is much better than the Splendor. We liked the Splendor (we were on a ship after all!), but the flow and some dead ends in various places weren't the most convenient. We will sail on the Splendor again of course, but prefer the Spirit class.

We agree, we're on the Spirit next month and have been on her once before, the flow is much better than the Splendor. We liked the Splendor (we were on a ship after all!), but the flow and some dead ends in various places weren't the most convenient. We will sail on the Splendor again of course, but prefer the Spirit class.

I saw pictures of the Galley. How do you get a a tour? That would be a fun thing to do.. I think......

I'm confused. The Splendor discontinued going to Manzanillo because of safety issues and now is spending two days in Cabo and one day in Puerto Vallarta. If Manzanillo is "unsafe" for the Splendor, why is it "safe" for the Spirit? I'm cruising on the Splendor this November and I'm not really happy that we only have 2 cruise ports but we don't have the option of a 9-day cruise. Anyone have an answer for me?

I saw pictures of the Galley. How do you get a a tour? That would be a fun thing to do.. I think......

The Galley tour is pretty interesting. You can watch the Fun Times for the time they have this tour, it's on a sea day in the afternoon. You an also pay for the Behind the Fun Tour, which I would highly recommend, we've done it twice on 2 different class ships. It's about a 3 1/2 hour tour of everything behind the scenes, even the engine control room and the bridge and you get to chat with the captain and have a pic with him too.

I'm confused. The Splendor discontinued going to Manzanillo because of safety issues and now is spending two days in Cabo and one day in Puerto Vallarta. If Manzanillo is "unsafe" for the Splendor, why is it "safe" for the Spirit? I'm cruising on the Splendor this November and I'm not really happy that we only have 2 cruise ports but we don't have the option of a 9-day cruise. Anyone have an answer for me?

I think the Splendor quit the stop at Mazatlan, like most lines have, unless I missed something.

I think the Splendor quit the stop at Mazatlan, like most lines have, unless I missed something.

Yes, I know, as I stated in the thread. My question is WHY can't Splendor go there again since Carnival obviously think it's safe to return there.

Yes, I know, as I stated in the thread. My question is WHY can't Splendor go there again since Carnival obviously think it's safe to return there.

Your previous thread mentions Manzanillo, not Mazatlan. The Spirit goes to Manzanillo currently.

Your previous thread mentions Manzanillo, not Mazatlan. The Spirit goes to Manzanillo currently.

oops, you're right...sorry. OK, same question still applies, though. All ports, excepting Cabo and PV, were cancelled due to their (supposedly) not being safe. Why is Manzanillo "safe" for one ship but not another. I hope I've made this clear and sorry for the confusion.

I'm assuming because the Splendor is only a 7 day cruise.....manzanillo is too far south for that amount of days......just Mazatlan was cancelled.......not all ports except P.V. and CAbo

I'm assuming because the Splendor is only a 7 day cruise.....manzanillo is too far south for that amount of days......just Mazatlan was cancelled.......not all ports except P.V. and CAbo

Hmm...I'm surprised that a measly 120 nautical miles would make such a difference. Probably saving $$ on fuel, not so much in time. Oh well, thanks for all the input.

Hmm...I'm surprised that a measly 120 nautical miles would make such a difference. Probably saving $$ on fuel, not so much in time. Oh well, thanks for all the input.

We're on the Spirit next month, our original itinerary included Cabo, La Paz, Mazatlan and PV. We expected them to cancel Mazatlan because everyone was doing that, but then they also cancelled La Paz (and substituted Ensenada) because they said it wouldn't work to get all the way to Manzanillo (the Mazatlan replacement). So I'd also agree that they don't go to Manzanillo on a 7-day because it's farther south. I think it might be farther than you think.

Yeah, I re-checked my figures. It's 175 nautical miles. I also see that Mazatlan is going to be re-visited by Holland America starting this January. I guess that if Princess also goes there, then Carnival will add it to the itinerary. I just hate having such a limited itinerary for the west coast.

Flying to the ports in Fla. or the east coast really jacks the cost of cruising and my husband really cannot get away from work for more than one week at a time, otherwise we'd give Asia and the South Pacific a shot. It would be more than worth the extra cost of flying.

Archived