Celebrity Century out of Vancouver

Alaska_2012

Could someone please take a look at the itinerary for the Celebrity Century for 7/1/2012-7/8/2012 out of Vancouver? It goes to Icy Straight Point, Hoonah, Chichagof Island and Hubbard Glacier but does not go to Skagway (hoped to take the train ride). Any opinions would be helpful!

Could someone please take a look at the itinerary for the Celebrity Century for 7/1/2012-7/8/2012 out of Vancouver? It goes to Icy Straight Point, Hoonah, Chichagof Island and Hubbard Glacier but does not go to Skagway (hoped to take the train ride). Any opinions would be helpful!

Day 1 Vancouver, British Columbia 4:30 PM

Day 2 Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

Day 3 Icy Strait Point, Alaska Tendered 3:00 PM 10:00 PM

Day 4 Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) Cruising 10:30 AM 2:30 PM

Day 5 Juneau, Alaska Docked 7:30 AM 8:00 PM

Day 6 Ketchikan, Alaska Docked 2:00 PM 8:30 PM

Day 7 Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

Day 8 Vancouver, British Columbia 7:00 AM

If you had "hoped to take the train ride", they why would this be a possibility? Only you are going to be able to determine where you want to go and what you want to do. With Skagway your only comment in your question, then this cruise probably is not for you.

The basic itinerary is fine and would be enjoyable- IF it is going to fill the interests and allow the tours of the purchaser.

Hi rayliang! Our main is objective is have the experience. Not interested in shopping. We want to see glaciers, whales, etc. I want to do the train ride in Skagway.

As far as budget goes... I would like to stay at or below $6200 for the room (4 travelers).

Right now I'm looking at HAL Zuiderdam. It leaves out of Vancouver and goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.

Would appreciate any advice you have.

Are you bound and determined to sail Celebrity? We took Royal Caribbean to Alaska some years ago which included Skagway and took the train. It was beautiful. If you are open to other cruise lines, you can get the port you desire.

The other ports in your itinerary are pretty standard for most Alaskan cruises. They go to several ports of call which cater to shopping in town and have adventures to glaciers, helicopter rides, etc. if you're willing.

Glad you chose HAL and the Zuiderdam! I sailed my first time to AK on her sister ship, the Oosterdam, and was entranced ever since! Hopefully you will be able to take advantage of HAL's 3rd and 4th passengers sailing free or for very minimal $$$. It is a great bargain! Good luck! I see you're going for a balcony, I'd choose something further aft rather than forward. I'm a big aft fan myself. Know that you will feel more motion the further forward you are, and sometimes the seas, even with Vancouver sailings, can get rough! Right now, the Statendam is docked in Seward for a couple of days and will miss Sitka and Hubbard because of very rough seas. It can and does happen. I'd be safe and book something midship or further toward the aft if you are at all concerned about seasickness for anyone in your party. Have a wonderful time and will look forward to seeing how your plans progress. Happy you made a decision on a ship, and I think you'll find HAL is a great fit for your family. Its the only line I've sailed for Alaska on all four of my trips, we think they're the best - just our humble opinion, of course;). Enjoy!

Thank you, AIP! We have gone with VB6038. I believe it is a little more forward. I wanted port side and that was the only one my TA had available. Hopefully it will be ok. I appreciate your insight! :D

By the way, I am SO jealous you have been to Alaska 4 times! :)

AIP, looking at the deck plans I'm not sure whether VB6038 (deck 6) is forward or what! Can you tell I've never been on a cruise?! If you, or someone else wouldn't mind looking at the deck plan, could you let me know? Thanks!

Yup, VB6038 is forward - just opposite the forward elevators, I think about 13 cabins from the bow. Might be a bit rocky, depending on your seas, but if you go prepared - talk to your health care professional, maybe Bonine and some Ginger tablets or wrist bands - whatever works for you and yours, and you'll be fine. So glad you picked a HAL ship, I think you'll be pleased with the food, the ship, the amenities and most certainly the wonderful HAL cruise. Check this one off your list, now time to begin researching excursions in port - beware, they are pricey, but oh so worth it!

If it's not too late you may want to look at the Celebrity Century sailing on Sept. 16th. I know it's a little late in the season but it hits all the ports - Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Straight Point and Ketchikan all in a 9 day cruise out of Vancouver.

Either way, enjoy your cruise.

Thank you, AIP! We have gone with VB6038. I believe it is a little more forward. I wanted port side and that was the only one my TA had available.

I just checked and there are lots of VB cabins left on the port side on the July 7 sailing. Do you want one right at the elevators? (that can be a busy, noisy area). There are much quieter cabins available.

if your main focus are glaciers, I would highly recommend a one way trip that can take you to Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier, such as Princess going southbound. Such an itinerary gives you better variety of glacier sceneries to look at.

I would also recommend look at Google Map and see the aerial picture / satellite picture of Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier) vs. Glacier Bay vs. Hubbard Glacier, to get an idea of what you will see and help determine which might hold the greatest interest for you.

TheCruiseExplorer, our trip is for 6/30 and apparently VB6038 is the only portside VB room left.

I'm looking at the HAL database right now for the June 30th sailing, and there are LOTS of port-side VBs available, both fore and aft. Even 4178, an aft cabin which is 35 square feet larger than most, is still available.

Archived