wheelchair and the beach questions

BeachChik

So I have herniated discs, bone spurs and the start of arthritis in my lower back. All this and I'm only 31 :eek:

My back has been ok for several years but recently my back pain has flared up with less than a month till we cruise. I can walk but sometimes too much walking can increase the pain. If I can't lessen the pain before then I was thinking of renting a wheelchair. But all the things we have planned are hanging out at the beach. I know the piers from the ship to port area can sometimes be a pretty decent walk. Has anyone done this? I just don't know what kind of hassle it would be since once we got to the beaches we would have to carry it. It would be nice to always have a place to sit since I can't sit on the ground or a chair without a back.

It will be a bit of a hassle but being pain free is worth it I think. I would bring a bike lock to secure it when you aren't sitting in it. I have a scooter (travelscoot) that does not have a key and is very lightweight so it could be easily stolen so we lock it to a tree, bike rack or fence if I decide to get into the water.

@BeachChik -

I was on NCL's Great Stirrup Key last month and noticed some folks being pushed in what looked like home made wheel chairs. They were put together with PVC pipes and had very wide balloon tires. Did not sink into the sand. Need to be pushed, rider cannot propel the thing. Looked comfortable enough. Hope you'll find some accommodation.

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

It will be a bit of a hassle but being pain free is worth it I think. I would bring a bike lock to secure it when you aren't sitting in it. I have a scooter (travelscoot) that does not have a key and is very lightweight so it could be easily stolen so we lock it to a tree, bike rack or fence if I decide to get into the water.

That is a good idea. If I decide to take one we will get a lock. I would hate to rent one and then have to buy it because it was stolen.

@BeachChik -

I was on NCL's Great Stirrup Key last month and noticed some folks being pushed in what looked like home made wheel chairs. They were put together with PVC pipes and had very wide balloon tires. Did not sink into the sand. Need to be pushed, rider cannot propel the thing. Looked comfortable enough. Hope you'll find some accommodation.

Juergen (and Helen)

Thanks for the suggestion. I just did a quick Google search and found a company in my area that rents "beach wheelchairs". Thank you!

Beach wheelchairs (the ones that look homemade but aren't) are available at the private islands, HMC and Princess Cay, and some private beaches as well (we saw one at Chankanaab in Mexico). However you don't get to keep the chair, it is to help you get to a chair or out into the water and then taken for the next person who needs it. When you are ready to go back to your regular chair someone will need to get the attendant who will bring the chair. Do not wear the seat belt if you take the chair into the ocean. I had an "interesting" experience doing that. I got into the water and the chair began to float and flipped me face down into the water. Because I was buckled in I couldn't right myself. My husband quickly came to my rescue and now we laugh about the situation - woman bobbing in the ocean with a chair on her bottom.

Do you have any problem getting a taxi to the beach with the scooter? DH has one that breaks down and is light enough for me to lift into the trunk of our car. Would we be able to take that in a taxi especially in Cozumel, Costa Maya and St. Maarten.

I have had no trouble using regular taxis but the travelscoot is small enough to fit in a duffel or golf bag. I like using a van taxi as then the scoot doesn't even have to be broken down. It only weighs 35 lbs so my DH has no trouble lifting it.

Do you have any problem getting a taxi to the beach with the scooter? DH has one that breaks down and is light enough for me to lift into the trunk of our car. Would we be able to take that in a taxi especially in Cozumel, Costa Maya and St. Maarten.

I am a cancer patient and use a scooter when we cruise. If it can be broken down and put in the trunk of a car, you can find a taxi in Cozumel. They will charge you a little more for tranporting it and lifting it.

I have found that some of the sidewalks in the port are sloped. I feel off of my scooter and into the street in Nasseau and some of the side walks in Cozumel have holes in them and are very bumpy.

You won't need a taxi in Costa Maya as everything is right there at the dock. Even the beach.

In St. Maarten, I could not find anyone to take me. I just rode the scooter to the boardwalk. There were lot of shops and resturants there. It was a long walk for my DH though. If you decide to do this, make sure you have a full charge on the scooter. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
@BeachChik -

Juergen (and Helen)

Hello, I will be traveling with my disabled husband in February. I called RCCL to see if he can tender at coco cay, they said it depended on the weather, then they recommended the Beach Wheel Chairs..that you referenced abv.. They said be sure to tell the excursion desk as soon as you get on board that you will need one..the go quickly.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip

Seriously, Do you recommend bringing a bike lock with me on my excursion to CoCo Cay?

I would have never ever thought to do that. Where are they going to take it? I guess I wear rose colored glasses and I never would have given a thought to stealing let alone a wheel chair..

Thats just bad juju on so many levels...lol

Thanks for thinking of it, I would have missed that.

• 2 weeks later...

We used a beach wheelchair for our disabled son (adult) on Disney's Castaway Cay. It made things a little easier, but they are a bit awkward to maneuver if the sand is deep. In Bermuda at Horseshoe Bay, we used his regular wheelchair and wheeled him BACKWARDS - the big wheels going first don't get stuck in the somewhat packed-down sand. Also, if you go to the right at the entrance to the beach, there is a beautiful sheltered cove, very easy to wheel there. We were able to get him to water's edge. We rented one of the resin chairs (upright, not lounge), planted it right in the water at seat level, and plopped him down in it. He was happy as a clam!:)

I am new to the "wheelie" world and have been an amputee for four months. Going to Key West and Cozumel in Aug. and have always been a water dog..Are those days over? Suggestions for things to do with prostetic and manuel chair appreciated. Girlfriend going with me for my birthday and first for her so don't want my slowness to hinder her. Any suggestions appreciated :)

Archived