Are shekels essential on Holy Land cruise?

Joecors

I always carry small amounts of the local currency. I know how difficult it is for small traders in the hospitality business here to change dollars/euros and how frustrated they get when some visitors expect them to take their currency. I accept in some countries there may be a desire for the hard currency but I always look at the rules of the country - if it is not legal for residents to hold dollars/euros I do not wish to place them in a compromising situation

I always offer to pay in dollars (or euros) or the local currency or for larger amounts VISA and it is surprising how often, particularly in the genuine shops (as opposed to the traps the tourline take you to) I am thanked for having the local currency or a credit card and that is their preferred method.

Just returned from the Holy Land cruise on Silhouette; most places seemed to accept most currencies; Shekels, US Dollars, Euro didn't seem to be a problem. At Yardenit on the banks of the Jordan they had a sophisticated cash register that did instant conversions between currencies.

I would say having Shekels is not necessary.

I take groups to Israel and the shocking truth.several months ago, was that for the first time the DOLLAR was NOT the money of choice--As I was dealing with larger amounts than gifts and souveniors, it was more prevelant!

Euros are the most popular and better exchange BUT it is so easy to buy $100-whatever in shekles---Best to get when you are with a guide or in OLD CiTy as the money changers rates on the street--not storefronts- are very GOOD!

FRANK

Archived