Mex Riv photos and cruise review

Bob7

• 4 months later...
Bob -

Your review has been the most comprehensive so far! Thank you.

Question: My wife sews and we would like to know where those fabric

stores are. I think I have the directions to the one in Mazatlan that you gave, but what about the one in PV?

Wendy loved the fabric store in PV. It's behind the boardwalk road (Ordaz), on either Morelos or Juarez, we can't recall which. The cabs let you out on Ordaz around 31 de Octobre, walk up the boardwalk (Ordaz) to Dominguez, and turn inland, go one street, and turn right on Morelos. Go east on Morelos, lots of interesting local shops, and if the fabric shop is there it's on the left side. If you get to Zaragoza where the big old cathedral is and you haven't seen it, go left one more street inland to Juarez, turn left and walk back west along Jurarez, it will now be on your right. Sorry we can't pinpoint it any better. There will be fabric in the windows. There are lots of other interesting local shops too, better prices than the boardwalk tourist traps. An internet shop was great, half hour for a buck or 2. The ship hands out a pretty good street map.

-Bob

Jag: the review is on Cruise Critic now, here's the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=10000

Let me know if it doesn't work.

NFused: it was cute, Wendy walked in, looked at the prices in pesos, divided by 10, turned to me with quite a look in her eye and said "you GOTTA give me some time here". So I went for a stroll, thinking maybe we'd find a golf store later :-)

These streets are a trip .... honking, tons of locals, bus inspectors blowing whistles, quite the flavor. Crossing the street is a gas, we asked a shopkeeper we got talking to about how to do it, and she said "you run for your life!" You sort of get in a group and go when they go. Sometimes there was a traffic guy/cop who would stop traffic for people.

The fabric store has clerks who cut and price your stuff, then you take your slip to a counter to pay for it and receive it. Sometimes there are 3 stops, cutting, paying at one counter, and then getting it at another counter. None of them talked any English, and we don't speak a work of Spanish, but that didn't stop Wendy, she got a clerk, pointed to what she wanted, and help up how many fingers for how many meters and said "Meters". We think that word is the same in both language, but anyway it worked. I think that store was 2 floors, or the Maz one was, or maybe both. Tons of rolls, great selection.

Good luck!

-Bob (who never found a golf store :-(

• 3 months later...

We fly to LAX next Saturday, 2/11/06 and board The Vision on 2/12/06.

This will be my 12th RCI Cruise, sounds like a Great Cruise.

Thanks for all the tips.

We have a Group of 12, so I hope I can Hook All My Friends on Cruising...

Donna

Hi Donna,

Quite welcome! You'll love it, the Cabo boardwalk is so cute, and the old architecture in Maz Old Town and PV downtown is quaint. It will be chilly on deck until you get near Cabo so get yer loungers early in the solarium, it fills up quickly and isn't large. The solarium pool has a lovely bubbly current at one end, all tingly, take yer babylove in, but don't be naughty! Free pizza in the back corner, delish. 2 hot tubs at the front that go good with a couple glasses of wine.

-Bob

Been planning this cruise since last October and we can't wait to go on the cruise soon enough this March. Thanks for a great review and we will probably hit all the resorts you mentioned since my wife and I have 2 kids, it will be fun for them ( 14 months and 11 yr.old). Of course, my wife will want to do some shopping on the side. Our sailing date is March 12, but will be in in Disneyland for 3 days. It's been a wet winter in Vancouver and it will be nice to go somewhere sunny and warm.

Great pics! We love the Vision of the Sea's and have logged a few miles on her including a Canal cruise. They didn't have a rock climbing wall when we were on her, though I doubt I'll be climbing any rock walls soon. Do they still make those cheesburgers at the back of the pool area? I hate to admit it but a cheeseburger hits the spot in between lunch and dinner...:D

:) Hi, we are a group of 5 couples, ages 50-60, looking for things to do that do not include water or beach activities. Just looking to enjoy ourselves in cabo and P.V. Any suggestions from people who have done these ports before. Thank you for your help.:confused:

What do you like to do. I haven't been here yet but from my research. We're doing the Lands End boat tour-don't need to get wet or out of the boat but get to see the sea lions and everything else. Then we are going to Cabo Wabo, a bar part owned by Sammy Hagger. Then Shop and walk around and hard Rock Cafe.

:rolleyes: Thank you for your reply. What excursion would that tour be? Where is Cabo Wabo? We all love beautiful scenery, shopping, eating and drinking and just plain enjoying the place. My husband also loves flea markets. :p

Rick: yes the burger stand is still there, they sure blow McDonalds away. And great pizza too.

Marylyn: in Cabo it's a very pretty stroll along the marina boardwalk, when you get off the tender turn right and keep following the water until the boardwalk starts, maybe 50 yards, cute shops, too many vendors bugging you but oh well. Eventually walk or take a cab to the far end of the marina where the upscale Puerto Paraiso Mall is, lots of neat shopping. The main drag outside the boardwalk is fun too.

In PV the boardwalk in town is fun, but for serious shopping get on the streets inland, Morelos and Juarez, very local flavor, good fun.

:rolleyes: Thank you for your reply. What excursion would that tour be? Where is Cabo Wabo? We all love beautiful scenery, shopping, eating and drinking and just plain enjoying the place. My husband also loves flea markets. :p

What I posted we are doing on our own. As I've read here you can get the Land's End boat ride for about $10-$15. pp at the pier. I also read Cabo Wabo is close to the pier. Can't wait to go and see for myself.

We do have a tour picked out for Mazatlan. Other than that, we will also go out on our own, to do shopping, sightseeing and possibly eating lunch out. :confused: A friend of mine told me about private tours given by Pam Thompson, someone she heard of from another cruise site. Have you ever heard of her? Thank you again. :) Marylyn

Archived