Cabins above kitchens on Noordam

KJ Aussie

Has anyone traveled in a cabin directly above the kitchens on the upper promenade deck, specifically from about 4124 to 4166 on the Noordam. I was wondering if noise and/or odours were a problem in any way? Thanks.

Noise is only a problem in cabins on the deck below the galley. EM

Avoid any/all staterooms that are located directly beneath the gallery/kitchen area of (any) ship! ;):D

We were in 4134 last march on the Noordam. No noise or odour from the kitchen. We loved this location !

I would avoid room 4124 - 4132. I don't think the view from these rooms towards the front of the ship is as good as the others (4134-4166) because of the lifeboats.

4164 and 4166 have an extra large balcony because of the stairs just besides them. I think it's twice as wide. We are in one of those for our upcoming cruise on the Westerdam. From what I read on CC noise on these rooms does'nt seems to be in issue. I guess we'll see :rolleyes:.

Geosand,

I think your cabin 1088 may be beneath the galley on deck 2. If you look at a deck plan there is a large unmarked area above your cabin and from some previous thread reading somewhere on this site I found someone had hand drawn a label of "galley" on the deck plan they had posted, may have been a post by Joanie? Not actually having been on the Noordam yet, 10 days to go, I can't be sure, but I think maybe you should do some further investigation.

I'm just curious what kind of "odor" problems could possibly be negative coming from the Galley? Our inn is located next to a very upscale restaurant here on Nantucket, the kitchen being opposite our back steps...there's nothing I like better than to step outside and sniff in the wonderful aromas while they're doing prep work in the afternoon! Calorie-free, too! ;)

Sheila, you are talking aroma; they are talking garbage!

Leaving soon and sailing without you:(. Wish you were coming! Carol

p.s. Watch us sail on www.nyharbor webcam.com. We will wave to ya!

Oh, yuck! :o

Yes, I'm sorry that we're not sailing either. As it turns out, October is slow here at the inn so it wouldn't have been a problem...but it's too late to change our plans now...I cancelled the innsitter, dog sitter, etc. :( And, I understand the ship is sailing full.

I will surely watch...with tears in my eyes! Have fun...was looking forward to finally meeting you and John.

Thank you so very much for posting that info on the rooms under the galley. We had room 1102 booked for upcoming cruise on Noordam next March. I changed it this morning to a VE Deluxe Verandah outside for an addition charge, but not really that great of a charge. Again thanks for the great job. Happy Cruising!!!

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from our Oct 5th cruise on the Noordam- cabin 4162 which is located above a galley area. I am pleased to report that we did not hear any noise or have any odours (I was worried about fried food smells) at all. It was very quiet overall, an excellent location if you didn't mind walking a long way to the forward area for the lounge and shops etc. Good news was that the closest elevators brought you right out at the dining rooms, or Lido buffet. Or even better, walk down the stairs a deck or two to get to your dining room. Only problem with this cabin could have been the connecting door allowing noise from the neighbouring cabin, but it didn't because they were very quiet, hope we didn't make too much noise for them. My only slight annoyance was that there was a tv, because my husband had the wretched thing on the WHOLE time we were in the cabin (hence my worry we may have annoyed the neighbours), but this problem will be solved the next cruise, I will travel with my best friend instead. She doesn't like tv either. :)

Archived