Bioluminescent Bay

CrznKris

Are there any experienced cruisers out there that can answer this or provide insight? I'm wondering if it is possible to do the Old/New San Juan Tour and still have time to get to the Mosquito Bay. I really want to go to the BioBay, but my travel companion has already booked us on the Old/New San Juan tour. Hoping we can do both.

The biobay is something that may or may not be there if you ever get to SJ again. The bioluminescent plankton that cause the glowing

phenomenon is in real peril from pollution and global warming.

From what they told us, there are only two biobays left in the world. The one at Vieques is fantastic. They took us out on a pontoon boat and then we got in the water - kind of scary swimming

in the ocean at night since that is when they tell you NOT to swim, but we became so involved with the glowing we didn't even think of

what else might be in the water!

Pick ups in OSJ for biobay are around 4pm.

We'll be there in January on the Explorer of the Seas, and they do not list this as an excursion. Are there private operators that will pick us up at or near the ship? We'll be there from 3 to 10.

I'm figuring Fajardo is the only one within reach from the pier, as Vieques is on the other side of the island. Is this true?

We'll be there in January on the Explorer of the Seas, and they do not list this as an excursion. Are there private operators that will pick us up at or near the ship? We'll be there from 3 to 10.

I'm figuring Fajardo is the only one within reach from the pier, as Vieques is on the other side of the island. Is this true?

Hate to shot you down There is no way you can do the Bio Bay in that time that you listed

Vieques is a Island off the East coast of Puerto Rico If you fly or take the ferry then you wil have to stay on the island over night If you take the East wind Cat. tours they return to Fajardo around 10:30 PM. This is the best of the three in Puerto Rico the other two are in the Fajardo area. It is the one we will be taking in Jan.

You might want to try the Las Cabezas de San Juan Bio. lagoon They have evening Kayak trips in the evenings

Paul

Bio Bay tour: plan this tour for the 23 of Jan.Post cruise tour

Which tours pick you up in OSJ? SInce the tours have to be held at night, I was thinking and hoping our timing might work for the one in Fajardo. I know Vieques is too far away.

It's about an hours drive, and I was hoping for some transport other than traditional taxis, or for tours that provide transport.

Do you know of any?

This is my problem too. We get in at 3 - and are already scheduled for the tour of Old and New San Juan...and the excusion for the biobay leaves at 5:00. Our ship doesn't offer this either...but I have found private excursions.

Traffic is horrible going to Fajardo. That one hour estimate is minimum. We left at 4, for the 6:30 kayak tour, and got there with just a few minutes to spare.

I used kayakingpuertorico, because they quickly responded to my emails. You should make reservations, because they can only take so many.

We are going to San Juan 2 days precruise the at end of October. We want to take the East Wind Cat tour of the Vieque BioBay. Our problem is transportation to Fajardo. They'll pick us up at our hotel for $135. If they get others, we can split the cost. So far, no others inquired. I don't know what a taxi would cost. Back in the 70's it was around $40 each way from Fajardo to the airport. (I lived there for 4 years & took a Taxi once in a while.)

I think this a once in a lifetime trip & we are just going to do it. I think we'll take their transportation.

If anyone is staying in SJ precruise on Oct 22,2011 & wants to go, we'll gladly splilt the fare.

We are going to San Juan 2 days precruise the at end of October. We want to take the East Wind Cat tour of the Vieque BioBay. Our problem is transportation to Fajardo. They'll pick us up at our hotel for $135. If they get others, we can split the cost. So far, no others inquired. I don't know what a taxi would cost. Back in the 70's it was around $40 each way from Fajardo to the airport. (I lived there for 4 years & took a Taxi once in a while.)

I think this a once in a lifetime trip & we are just going to do it. I think we'll take their transportation.

If anyone is staying in SJ precruise on Oct 22,2011 & wants to go, we'll gladly splilt the fare.

Check on the web under Puerto Rico taxi rates The last time I looked it was $80.00 each way per cab. Also After there was a surcharge amount unknown. This Jan will be our third attempt 1st time we did not check on what phase the moon was in . The 2nd a storm hit and stopped all tours .This we plan a date with a back up and hope that everything goes right this time

We also plan to use the East wind for trans and will start posting for others to share trans.

please post how it turns out and good luck on finding others

Paul

Plan tour 22 or 23 of Jan. 2012 Post cruise tour

Archived